Kansas City's Best Developers

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Kansas City's Best Developers

Post by voltopt »

I've also worked a little with Urban Coeur - I used to work at the architecture firm that designed Cherry Hill Row (trust me, the original design was much nicer, but that was out of our hands)
They are pretty accessible, and I appreciate their business model.  It was a good experience!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

NDTeve wrote: Best:
1) RED Development
2) RH Johnson

Worst:
1) DST

huh???

RED is VERY good at taking tons of tiffs, star bonds etc and developing greenfields.

DST was the ONLY one developing inside the loop in the 90's when everybody else was out on College Blvd.  DST has pretty much developed the entire west side of downtown and now has done Kirkwood, the IRS complex, Westside redevelopments and will probably get the GSA project.  They do sit on land, but nothing like others have.  Compared to most developers in KC, DST is pretty aggressive and takes risks on urban projects.

I have to say the best in KC was the former Executive Hills (Frank Morgan) he is back.  They really put KC on the map.  If it were not for them, Downtown KC would look like Buffalo or Tulsa today.  Much of the airport area would still be farms rather than office parks as would the area around 435 and Holmes.  They had a tremendous impact on KC.

Number two would be Crown Center redevelopment.  What they have done for KC is also amazing and KC would be a totally different city if they were not so committed to the urban core.

The worst would have to be Tower Properties.  They have to be the most lethargic urban developer in town.  Talk about sitting on land and bringing down density.

RED would be one of "my" least favorites because they don't do anything but suburban stuff in KC (they do some nice urban stuff in other towns).
Last edited by GRID on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What about Dale Schulte; Mel Mallin of Mallin/Gibson; George Birt; Master Realty Properties (KCloftcentral.com); Jason Alexander (www.Townsendco.com), McGowan-Walsh (or what's left of it); and Bob Frye of Founders Union Hill?
There is no fifth destination.
homewardbound
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by homewardbound »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Sounds like you need to bring the firm with you when you move.   :D
I definitely plan to bring the ideas with me! :D Not that it will be as easy as that - there seems to be a serious learning curve for developers moving from one city to another.  KC has its own complexities.  On the plus side it is a populous city with plenty of urban fabric to play with.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

Well, I hope you come back and do some new and cool things downtown.  There's plenty of opportunities for the right project.
medleyj
Pad site
Pad site

Post by medleyj »

I hope you come to Kansas City. I think there's a shortage of small-scale, pedestrian-friendly infill. We also have lots of places in which to do it. I hope you've looked at areal view of downtown (river to 31st).
woodrow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by woodrow »

GRID wrote: The worst would have to be Tower Properties.  They have to be the most lethargic urban developer in town.  Talk about sitting on land and bringing down density.
I thought Tower Properties was a parking lot company.

From what I have read and seen, the one you don't want to associate with is Tower
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

GRID wrote: The worst would have to be Tower Properties.  They have to be the most lethargic urban developer in town.  Talk about sitting on land and bringing down density.
That's just the result of the existence of property tax.