any rumors about a new tallest bldg in KC?

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

any rumors about a new tallest bldg in KC?

Post by mister816 »

so they are building a 18-20 floor high rise in east village, and a 35 story hote/condo in the P&L but i haven't heard anything about a new tallest building in KC. Any word?
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: any rumors about a new tallest bldg in KC?

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Kansas City is a long way away from getting a new tallest. I wouldn't even expect any rumblings about a new tallest for over 10 years.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

What is the tallest right now?
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

anniewarbucks wrote: What is the tallest right now?
the tallest building in missouri is one kansas city place
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

And BTW, KC has the tallest residential building in midwest outside Chicago, the 909 Walnut Tower.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

mister816 wrote: the tallest building in missouri is one kansas city place
ignatius wrote: And BTW, KC has the tallest residential building in midwest outside Chicago, the 909 Walnut Tower.
Both are reasons for KC to cheer!
KC is the way to be!
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

Any new tall building in downtown KC needs to be more distinguished than the ones now.

I'm thinking something regionally comparable to Minneapolis' Wells Fargo Center (top glows bright gold at night) or Dallas' Bank of America Plaza (its got the green lights marking the building edges).

Right now, the best KC has to offer is the faded and tiny red, white and blue lights on One Kansas City Place...

Height shouldn't matter that much (though tall buildings are always cool) as long as it stands out.
Indecision is the root of evil.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

OPIchabod wrote: Right now, the best KC has to offer is the faded and tiny red, white and blue lights on One Kansas City Place...
Which would be cool if they would change those colors for events and holidays, like the Empire State building does.
KC is the way to be!
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

mister816 wrote: so they are building a 18-20 floor high rise in east village, and a 35 story hote/condo in the P&L but i haven't heard anything about a new tallest building in KC. Any word?
The hotel/condo in P&L is planned to be 35 stories? Wow, where have I been?
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

KansasCityChiefs wrote: The hotel/condo in P&L is planned to be 35 stories? Wow, where have I been?
If the Hotel is approved then yes 35 stories. If the hotel doesn't get built ontop then it will be 22 stories. If the Hotel is placed ontop the building will be as tall as 1202 Walnut.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KansasCityCraka wrote: If the Hotel is approved then yes 35 stories. If the hotel doesn't get built ontop then it will be 22 stories. If the Hotel is placed ontop the building will be as tall as 1202 Walnut.
I assume you mean 1201 Walnut and that is incorrect...with the hotel it would challenge one kc place as the tallest in the city (at least as far as the latest proposal).
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: I assume you mean 1201 Walnut and that is incorrect...with the hotel it would challenge one kc place as the tallest in the city (at least as far as the latest proposal).
Is there a timetable when this proposed hotel/condo is to be built...if built at all? I haven't been following it lately.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

KCPowercat wrote: I assume you mean 1201 Walnut and that is incorrect...with the hotel it would challenge one kc place as the tallest in the city (at least as far as the latest proposal).
I don't think that's right. As Devin will gladly tell you, residential floors are shorter than office floors, so a 35-floor hotel+condo building would probably match a 25-28 floor office tower. I believe 1KCP is 43 floors.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not basing it on # of floors...but on other information.

metro....KCTigerFan said hopefully this year...the hotel part seems to be the big hangup with the city deciding whether another hotel is needed or not...and now who knows what Cordish is thinking with the housing market dropping.

Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

KCPowercat wrote: I'm not basing it on # of floors...but on other information.

metro....KCTigerFan said hopefully this year...the hotel part seems to be the big hangup with the city deciding whether another hotel is needed or not...and now who knows what Cordish is thinking with the housing market dropping.
I also remember reading, in the KC star, that it would be four feet taller than 1201 walnut but quite a bit shorter than 1KCP and even the town pavillion.  Oh and 37 stories I believe it was, not 35.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think it would be great if they used tinted window panels that would cause the building to be all one color at night when lit from the inside. It would be a skyscraper version of the new Bloch addition at the Nelson.   Perhaps something blue or green--especially that tall would stand out on the skyline.  They could make it look taller by placing a mast on top.

There is no fifth destination.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Yes, I had fat fingers, and in the KC Star in May (the last height estimate produced by Cordish or the City) said that total height of the Hotel/Condo tower would be 420' (128 Meters) tall. 1201 Walnut is 130 Meters tall. One Kansas City Place is 193 Meters tall.

The next tallest in KC would be a Convention Center Hotel. The Council committee is supporting a recent study that recomended the city build a 1,000 room hotel by 2011. To put a 1,000 room hotel into perspective, the Hyatt Regency has 731 rooms.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree that's what the story said...I was going on some other information that might not be public...so we'll just go with what you said.
The next tallest in KC would be a Convention Center Hotel. The Council committee is supporting a recent study that recomended the city build a 1,000 room hotel by 2011.
Huh?  Not following what you are going for here...are you meaning the Marriott downtown when you say "convention center hotel"?  What council committee are you referring to that is supporting a recent study?

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

KCPowercat wrote: I agree that's what the story said...I was going on some other information that might not be public...so we'll just go with what you said.

Huh?  Not following what you are going for here...are you meaning the Marriott downtown when you say "convention center hotel"?  What council committee are you referring to that is supporting a recent study?
A brand new building....that would become KC's Tallest. And the committee is the Planning & Zoning Committee. This was discussed in the same article that talked about the height of the Cordish Tower.

And if you have more info on the Cordish Tower Spill The Beans!
Last edited by KansasCityCraka on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here is the story

http://www.downtownkc.org/content.aspx? ... xCompID=82

No talk of a a convention level hotel being the city's tallest building.  The old P&Z did support the measure, which means absolutely nothing now with the new council and mayor.