KC Place Development

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

KC Place Development

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I know this development was never finished but does anyone have more information or pictures than the picture I have below?

EDIT: I did find a little more information on this such as the height is there anything else?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Place
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KC Place Development

Post by AllThingsKC »

I'm drawing a blank.  About 2 weeks ago, I was searching for more information about the Kansas City Place development, but the site that I found with the most information was the Wiki site you've posted.  :?

So, basically it was never finished because the NIMBY's didn't want to have to look at it in the skyline!  :x
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nimby's had nothing to do with the KC Place development's failure to build out.  It had to do with the real esate crash of the 80's combined with the fall of the Frank Morgon empire.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: Nimby's had nothing to do with the KC Place development's failure to build out.  It had to do with the real esate crash of the 80's combined with the fall of the Frank Morgon empire.
:?:  Didn't it have SOMETHING to do with it?   According to Wiki:
The project's downfall, however, came because of several reasons, not least of which was that residents complained it would ruin Kansas City's skyline, which had been the same for 30 years.
Of course, I don't know how reliable Wiki is since anyone could edit the information on it.   8-[
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AllThingsKC wrote: :?:  Didn't it have SOMETHING to do with it?   According to Wiki:

Of course, I don't know how reliable Wiki is since anyone could edit the information on it.   8-[
No, the city was excited for the project.  A similar development near the Plaza (sailors) met major nimby opposition.  The site, where the jefferson apartments now stand south of winsteads, would have had a 53 story office tower and six 18-25 story condo towers.  Another project on the Plaza, (Kirkwood) also ran into opposition.  They had planned on building seven 13-18 story condo towers where the existing kirkwood development is.  It wasn't just nimbys, the plaza alone had like 2 dozen highrises planned that never got built due to the real estate crash among other things, like the nimby factor.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: No, the city was excited for the project.  A similar development near the Plaza (sailors) met major nimby opposition.  The site, where the jefferson apartments now stand south of winsteads, would have had a 53 story office tower and six 18-25 story condo towers.  Another project on the Plaza, (Kirkwood) also ran into opposition.  They had planned on building seven 13-18 story condo towers where the existing kirkwood development is.  It wasn't just nimbys, the plaza alone had like 2 dozen highrises planned that never got built due to the real estate crash among other things, like the nimby factor.
I'm sorry, GRID - but I'm still confused.  So, did the KCP failure have ANYTHING to do with NIMBYS?  Obviously, it wasn't the main or only factor, but didn't it have anything to do with it?
KC is the way to be!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AllThingsKC wrote: Of course, I don't know how reliable Wiki is since anyone could edit the information on it.   8-[
Kinda like GIGO.

Wiki can, in a limited way, be a source but should never be a sole source of information.

GRID is right on concerning this development.

Some people want to blame the city council for dt's demise but dt had a lot going for it in the 80's.  Changing federal tax law, collapse of the S&L industry, and in many markets spec overbuilding destroyed much of the momentem of the office building construction boom.  And add to it locally the inability of Durwood to develop his redevelopment holdings set KCMO's dt into a tailspin.
And nimby's really had nothing to do with the stop of dt construction.  Some people had it in for Morgan and Bridges (they were outsiders) but dt'ers were all for development.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AllThingsKC wrote: I'm sorry, GRID - but I'm still confused.  So, did the KCP failure have ANYTHING to do with NIMBYS?  obviously, it wasn't the main or only factor, but didn't it have anything to do with it?
Who is going to care if somebody builds a 50 story building downtown?  Not the plaza, but downtown where there really is nothing else but tall office buildings?  Not only that, but Executive Hills pretty much owned downtown at the time, they would have to object to their own project.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

AllThingsKC wrote: I'm sorry, GRID - but I'm still confused.  So, did the KCP failure have ANYTHING to do with NIMBYS?   Obviously, it wasn't the main or only factor, but didn't it have anything to do with it?
Grid has it correct, no NIMBY interference with One Kansas City Place. Wiki apparently is not very reliable.
By the way Grid good memory on the Krikwood project, i'd forgotten how large the original proposal was.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Kinda like GIGO.

Wiki can, in a limited way, be a source but should never be a sole source of information.

GRID is right on concerning this development.

Some people want to blame the city council for dt's demise but dt had a lot going for it in the 80's.  Changing federal tax law, collapse of the S&L industry, and in many markets spec overbuilding destroyed much of the momentem of the office building construction boom.  And add to it locally the inability of Durwood to develop his redevelopment holdings set KCMO's dt into a tailspin.
And nimby's really had nothing to do with the stop of dt construction.  Some people had it in for Morgan and Bridges (they were outsiders) but dt'ers were all for development.
Yep, and I thank god we did have Frank Morgan and the very aggressive Executive Hills empire in the 80's and a city that backed them.  If they didn't do what they did, and they created much of the KCI office parks, the south 435 office corridor, several local malls, not to mention changing the face of downtown overnight into a modern city, I still say KC would be just another Buffalo or Memphis.  A "hasbeen".  To this day, KC does not have a developer like morgan.  We don't get the spec towers that Atlanta, Denver and Minneapolis get and we are ignored by the national development community.  If it were not for morgan, "downtown" KC would look about the same as it did in 1965.
Last edited by GRID on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: GRID is right on concerning this development.
GRID wrote: Who is going to care if somebody builds a 50 story building downtown?  Not the plaza, but downtown where there really is nothing else but tall office buildings?  Not only that, but Executive Hills pretty much owned downtown at the time, they would have to object to their own project.
Appraiser wrote: Grid has it correct, no NIMBY interference with One Kansas City Place.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me!  :)  But, I guess that puts me in the same boat as KansasCityCraka - looking for an informational site about the development.  -  I have yet to find one (other than that Wiki site.  :roll: )
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Well, there is nothing on the net, so don't even try that.  If you are seriously interested, I would go downtown to the library and look up old Star and Times articles on the project.  I have a few stashed away someplace, not sure where they are though.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: Well, there is nothing on the net, so don't even try that.  If you are seriously interested, I would go downtown to the library and look up old Star and Times articles on the project.  I have a few stashed away someplace, not sure where they are though.
bullshit grid. you dont even know if you have them stashed. we have been over this crap before. your office and home are a giant vortex, you say you have something for someone, they produce the time and interest to want it, and further the money in some cases, and you never deliever.

bullshit.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

While some of those office towers would have looked nice on the skyline from a distance, on the ground this would have been an urban planning disaster.  A high rise corporate woods, dead after the 9 to 5 hours.  And those above ground car parks along Truman would have made the 670 ditch ever so more delightful.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

moderne wrote: While some of those office towers would have looked nice on the skyline from a distance, on the ground this would have been an urban planning disaster.  A high rise corporate woods, dead after the 9 to 5 hours.  And those above ground car parks along Truman would have made the 670 ditch ever so more delightful.
Yea, I would have much rather have the nasty surface lots and dilapidated buildings we had there instead of modern office towers and thousands more workers downtown.  9-5 office towers are just as important to a vibrant downtown as condos, retail and entertainment.  I think there is plenty of room in downtown kc for all aspects of urban development.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kcdcchef wrote: bullshit grid. you dont even know if you have them stashed. we have been over this crap before. your office and home are a giant vortex, you say you have something for someone, they produce the time and interest to want it, and further the money in some cases, and you never deliever.

bullshit.
:lol:

Did he not deliver on some sort of drug transaction between you two?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: Yea, I would have much rather have the nasty surface lots and dilapidated buildings we had there instead of modern office towers and thousands more workers downtown.  9-5 office towers are just as important to a vibrant downtown as condos, retail and entertainment.  I think there is plenty of room in downtown kc for all aspects of urban development.
honestly. this is the dumbass thinking that is so prevelant on this board. no, i would not want the kc place development because it would hurt the bustling street scene we think is coming our way.

most downtowns do not have one, save chi, ny, la, and perhaps dc, but theres is so spread out. back to the point at hand, you would not want 4 more 40 story plus towers in our city because it hurts the urban fabric? horseshit. i lived in the mecca of all that is good in urban planning, new york city, and there are blocks all over manhattan island that have tall office towers with ground level NOTHING. so save it. kc will not be this urban utopia, no matter how much you guys bellyache about it.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcdcchef wrote: honestly. this is the dumbass thinking that is so prevelant on this board. no, i would not want the kc place development because it would hurt the bustling street scene we think is coming our way.

most downtowns do not have one, save chi, ny, la, and perhaps dc, but theres is so spread out. back to the point at hand, you would not want 4 more 40 story plus towers in our city because it hurts the urban fabric? horseshit. i lived in the mecca of all that is good in urban planning, new york city, and there are blocks all over manhattan island that have tall office towers with ground level NOTHING. so save it. kc will not be this urban utopia, no matter how much you guys bellyache about it.
=D> =D>
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

If this development was built the development happening right now could possibly be on the north side where there is no development.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

KansasCityCraka wrote: If this development was built the development happening right now could possibly be on the north side where there is no development.
...or to the south of 670