?What New Retail Does Downtown Need?

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: ?What New Retail Does Downtown Need?

Post by DaveKCMO »

i guess people are eating carbs again.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

DaveKCMO wrote: i guess people are eating carbs again.
whole wheat carbs
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

elextendo wrote: I have all of our bread shipped in from philly..maybe bagels from ny?
Do it!!! please please please.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

eclair wrote: Do it!!! please please please.
Love it when you talk like that Eclair....Big Chuck, thanks for the heads up on Panera at CC.  I've been going to Westport when I need a bagel fix.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was reading somebody's blog about a recent visit to KC and it touched on retail downtown KC....and he put something out there that I never really thought of but makes a lot of sense when talking retail downtown:

http://nycweboy.typepad.com/my_weblog/2 ... y_her.html
but a lack of attention to basic things, like the fact that without affordable housing, it's hard to have critical mass of population needed to make a downtown hub thrive.
Makes a lot of sense....visiting other cities downtown's I see how things like a Wendy's or CVS aren't frequented as much by "yuppies" and businesspeople as the normal middle income residents that live close by.

While KC is getting a lot of new residents downtown, but a lot of them being upperwardly mobile still drive to grocery stores, etc....they don't require a lot of basic things right out there door (although we'd love to have them)

Just a thought I had and didn't have anywhere to really put it....

as for the topic....I really can't think of much we are really lacking...what needs to happen now is more variety and longer hours.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Auto Mechanic
Gas Station
Car Wash
Car Dealership
Detail Shop
Tire Shop
More Parking
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I did think of one...

QT without the gas pumps.

Whoever mentioned an officedepot....also good idea.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

Beer delivery service.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

hot dogs
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

KCPowercat wrote: I did think of one...

QT without the gas pumps.

Whoever mentioned an officedepot....also good idea.
an approximation of what you have mentioned is available in the art slums along warwick. it is and was ALL offic e supply runs and QT hot dogs and guinness when berbiglia closed.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What downtown needs more than anything is a inexpensive 24-hour diner with a large enough menu where one can eat several times a week and isn't eating the same things over and over. 

A place:

where they actually prepare the dishes themselves and not reheat them from frozen prepacked stuff shipped in from the franchise headquarters which dictates a preprogrammed menu.

that has different items on the menu every day. Soups, salads, chili, stew, sandwiches, platters that change for variety.

a place that has six of seven different vegetable side order choices with any entree.

with counter seating, tables, and booths that is large enough where one can sit and drink coffee with friends.

where one can get breakfast at any hour of the day, and serves plain old coffee that is inexpensive.

The place needs to be located within walking distance of most of the inside loop neighborhoods, and have some parking available.

At this point, I'd be happy with an International House of Pancakes or a Country Kitchen.
There is no fifth destination.
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

FangKC wrote: A place:

where they actually prepare the dishes themselves and not reheat them from frozen prepacked stuff shipped in from the franchise headquarters which dictates a preprogrammed menu.
FangKC wrote:At this point, I'd be happy with an International House of Pancakes or a Country Kitchen.
hmmm- I think these two statements are paradoxical...
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

I'd like to see an Ace/True Value just east of City Market.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: What downtown needs more than anything is a inexpensive 24-hour diner with a large enough menu where one can eat several times a week and isn't eating the same things over and over. 

A place:

that has different items on the menu every day. Soups, salads, chili, stew, sandwiches, platters that change for variety.

a place that has six of seven different vegetable side order choices with any entree.

with counter seating, tables, and booths that is large enough where one can sit and drink coffee with friends.

where one can get breakfast at any hour of the day, and serves plain old coffee that is inexpensive.

The place needs to be located within walking distance of most of the inside loop neighborhoods, and have some parking available.

At this point, I'd be happy with an International House of Pancakes or a Country Kitchen.

there's quaint little place called denny's that i'd like to show you...  :)
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: there's quaint little place called denny's that i'd like to show you...   :)
denny's isn't open 24 hours!  :shock:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

At Denny's, everything appears to come with fries.  If you order just fries, they ask if you'd like fries with that.
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

FangKC wrote: What downtown needs more than anything is a inexpensive 24-hour diner with a large enough menu where one can eat several times a week and isn't eating the same things over and over. 

A place:

HARVEY HOUSE...are you reading this?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

ComandanteCero wrote: authentic bagels would be a score for the entire metro...... good lord that would be awesome.  You can't find good bagels in KC.
The more bagels the better.  Have you tried Jersey Shore on Johnson Drive.  They are far and away the best bagels I've had in town.
thesnowman21
Pad site
Pad site

Post by thesnowman21 »

I moved over from the UK a year ago and was completely surprised at there not being a shopping center downtown. Everywhere in Europe has a shopping center downtown. I think they should turn East Village into an outdoor shopping center complete with all the regular chains that you would expect. Now that the entertainment is coming in the shape of the power and light district the final piece of the puzzle is some shopping. It would get people from all over KC coming into downtown. Just don't make it to upmarket like the plaza, but just your regular express, target, macys, old navy etc.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Jersey Shore bagels are the best in KC, agreed.  I would love to see them open a Brookside/Waldo location and a DT spot. 
heatherkay wrote: The more bagels the better.  Have you tried Jersey Shore on Johnson Drive.  They are far and away the best bagels I've had in town.