status of draconian Crossroads parking ordinance?

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

status of draconian Crossroads parking ordinance?

Post by chrizow »

i know the city is supposed to be working on amending the parking ordinances to ditch the "X number of parking spaces per square foot" requirement or whatever, which has substantially impaired businesses in the Crossroads (e.g. Caliente). 

i suppose i could dig through the 8,000 threads where this issue is discussed, but i'll just ask it here:  does anyone know the latest on this?  when is it supposed to be in effect?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: status of draconian Crossroads parking ordinance?

Post by DaveKCMO »

i believe the latest was that crossroads businesses were getting an parking exemption for the first X sq. ft. it was discussed ad nauseum at our meetings (and in my building because of caliente), so i honestly can't remember where it left off. regardless, the new approach will be part of the big new zoning redux that the city is still prepping.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

How infuriating. Maybe the city should get out of the business of ensuring arbitrary amounts of parking exist altogether.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Crossroads KC gets a parking variance

The owners of Crossroads KC heard what they wanted to hear in a hearing Tuesday before the Kansas City Board of Zoning Adjustment.

The board approved an auxiliary parking agreement and variance that allows the music venue behind Grinders to lease parking spaces in the neighborhood, thus fulfilling its parking requirement.

Next up: A hearing today over the vacation of the alley behind Grinders which will determine whether or not Grinders' liquor license also applies to its music venue.

If the alley vacation is rejected or delayed, Crossroads KC must continue to apply for temporary catering licenses for each show and Grinders must continue to prohibit the transport of alcohol from its premises to the music venue (and vice-versa).
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

At the Cracker show, Stretch was on stage talking about a petition to keep the venue going. Was this in reference to the parking or something else? I never saw the petition.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The new planning/zoning/parking laws are scheduled for public presentations in August.  Then in September they do formal hearings before the City Plan Comisison and then the City Council's Planing and Zoning Committee. Finally, it's scheduled for full adoption by the City Council in October.

The draft I have seen does not remove all parking requirements in the Crossroads.  That only happens in the Loop or within 500 feet of a BRT stop, but the Crossroads requirements will be significantly lower than they are today. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

My point to the City would be, if they did not require 10K parking spots dedicated for Sprint Center how could they impose this on other businesses?  Sounds like any easy suit to pursue.
pumpkin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by pumpkin »

After months of discussion and debate, the "Crossroads Parking Ordinance" was adopted by the City Council last summer.  Essentially, it grants an exemption against required parking for the first 4,000 sq. ft. of retail space and 2,000 for restaurant space, with one exemption allowed per building. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

pumpkin wrote: After months of discussion and debate, the "Crossroads Parking Ordinance" was adopted by the City Council last summer.  Essentially, it grants an exemption against required parking for the first 4,000 sq. ft. of retail space and 2,000 for restaurant space, with one exemption allowed per building. 
You better lay low, dude. Your stalker is on this message board.  :P
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

pumpkin wrote: After months of discussion and debate, the "Crossroads Parking Ordinance" was adopted by the City Council last summer.  Essentially, it grants an exemption against required parking for the first 4,000 sq. ft. of retail space and 2,000 for restaurant space, with one exemption allowed per building. 
This was an emergency change, pending the final version being incorporated into the overall development ordinance.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

does anyone know where we can get a copy of the draft crossroads parking ordinance?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

zonk wrote: does anyone know where we can get a copy of the draft crossroads parking ordinance?
The entire development ordinance is supposed to be released to the public tomorrow, Friday July 13...  Keep an eye on http://www.kcmo.org/planning
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

got it.....thx.