Questions Re: Brush Creek Development

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Questions Re: Brush Creek Development

Post by artistboy »

tat2kc wrote: The EPA requires separate systems, KCMO is just dragging its feet in complying. Big surprise.
Almost every major city in the country is dragging it's feet too. The Feds realize these are MAJOR undertakings and have yet to go after any major city (that I know of) requiring the separation of storm and sewer drains. The mandates will happen, but in time.

That said, I agree with knucklehead. What was constructed was put in place to save the Plaza from flooding and it's done a good job at that. The fact that there is even wide walk ways down by the water is a plus that we should be thankful for. Does it some times smell? Of course... but so do most lakes, rivers, and creeks at some point. I think people romanticize moving/non-moving water until the reality of it sets in. It's part of nature and not easy to control. Nature can be wild. A friend of mine thinks wild deer are cute, cuddly animals but I beg any one with that notion to try to go hug a deer! See what happens! Trying to control a waterway like Brush Creek during a rain storm is a much more dramatic event.

Are there things I would change in retrospect about the flood control project? Sure. Am I happy and content with what's in place today? Absolutely! I'm not ashamed to send or show people the walkway down there when they come to KC. It's nice and considering the shear volume of storm run off it handles dozens of times a year, it cleans up rather nicely in a fast way after the water recedes.

Am I missing something or does Brush Creek not do what it was supposed to do?
INGREDIENTS: COFFEE, BEER, AND ILL WILL.
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

artistboy wrote: Am I missing something or does Brush Creek not do what it was supposed to do?
It's actually done more than anticipated. Investments like the Jefferson(?) Apartments, the Kaufmann Foundation and Stowers might not have looked so good or enticing with Brush Creek in its former condition. It may have been the key key economic development investment of the last quarter century if the work Stowers is doing is allowed to proceed in Missouri.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

And if you go further east there is more new development that has occurred because of what has happened and will happen on Brush Creek.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCrules
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCrules »

Hmmm...Back around 1998 or so I worked for a concrete cutting company. I was sent down into Brush Creek to drill dozens of 8" diameter holes. From what I can remember, the holes expanded some type of sewer/manhole runoff deal. This was when the creek was just getting "nice" east of the tennis courts. Did I spend weeks in the muck and poop of that creek for nothing?!! Anyways, it was a pretty cool job.