Recycling for Multi-Unit Dwellings

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Recycling for Multi-Unit Dwellings

Post by beccanator »

nota wrote: One of my great disappointments is that there is no city dump anywhere that we can find. We often have stuff that we just want to haul off a pickup load of. But there is no place to take it.
That's because most smaller municipalities in the KC Metro area contract out to private waste management service providers (the biggest companies being Deffenbaugh and Allied) with landfills outsided of city boundaries. You could try taking your waste to the Courtney Ridge Landfill in Sugar Creek but disposal there, or anywhere else for that matter, of large items is not free.

But before you try to throw away your large bulky items, see if there's a place that might recycle them. The best resource to find that out is: www.recyclespot.org
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

nota wrote: One of my great disappointments is that there is no city dump anywhere that we can find. We often have stuff that we just want to haul off a pickup load of. But there is no place to take it.
The defenbaugh landfill off johnson drive takes damn near the whole metro's trash.  I am pretty sure they will take individual hauls - they also have an extensive recycling center at the entrance. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Most cities have bulky item pickup for this type of stuff.  But I suppose that's a trade off for living in an unincorporated area - lower taxes but no city services.

I believe the only remaining landfills in the area are in Shawnee and Sugar Creek.  Surely one at least of them take drop off?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

lock+load wrote: I can't imagine hauling all of my recycables to a drop off site.  It is a big enough hassle just toting the newspapers up to the city market.  I don't bother with anything else.

L+L, is there a newspaper recycle drop at the market?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

loftguy wrote:
L+L, is there a newspaper recycle drop at the market?
There is a drop-off bin in the lot on the east side of the steamboat arabia museum.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

We never have anything worth giving away that we toss instead. We give it away or post it on the neighborhood website. Lots of takers usually.

FWIW-the JOCO dump wanted $60 for a pickup (Ranger) full of cedar scraps. JOCO residents are charged half that which is only fair, but we just couldn't see $60. Clean stuff too. We took it back home and stopped by a construction site nearby and asked the superintendent if we could use their dumpster. He was very accomodating. $20 later, we were on our way.

Our trash pickup is usually helpful, but they will only pick up on your regular trash day, you have to make prior arrangements and they charge $20 extra. Mainly though, we don't like to leave junk out all week long.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

beccanator wrote:
But before you try to throw away your large bulky items, see if there's a place that might recycle them. The best resource to find that out is: www.recyclespot.org
Thanks for that link. LOTS of good stuff there.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There is also a bin at Admiral and Charlotte that takes all paper products.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is also a dump on Kaw Drive in KCK about 45th that you can take a load of crap too....did that with old carpet....I think that's the right street address.  Think they charged like $45 for the laod.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dave...who did you find to do your recycling.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we had a company identified a few months ago, but when the city announced they had plans to support apartments and condos (with no target date) our board decided to back off and wait. i'm still dragging my crap down to 48th and forest every week...

i should note that the metropolitan has instituted a very solid recycling program on their own, being such a large building (200+ units).
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

I got an e-mail from the last Rivermarket Board meeting that they are trying to set up a recycling bins in City Market..Dont know who is leading the effort.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They do have the newspaper bins already.

I'd like to dump Defenbaugh....yeah right.

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KCPowercat wrote: They do have the newspaper bins already.
Where?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Czar wrote: I got an e-mail from the last Rivermarket Board meeting that they are trying to set up a recycling bins in City Market..Dont know who is leading the effort.
That would be amazing.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

that was one cool thing about toronto... they had recycle bins EVERYWHERE downtown. and people used them!

anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

The dumps are the trash companies and big business's conspiracy to keep us from recycling. They make money hauling off our trash and this trash is put out of sight. When I worked at Sears I saw tons of old store displays (shelving and wire racks) crushed as to sell them to the customers or associates. They even crushed the small hardware boxes and cases that the main tool is on display. To make recycling successfull the country should enact a 100% recycling program. If a TV goes on the fritz repair it or break it down to salvage materials, do not land fill this box.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kard wrote: Where?
Parking lot facing Grand

Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

moderne wrote: There is also a bin at Admiral and Charlotte that takes all paper products.
There is a bin at the south entrance to MARC's parking lot as well, for all you Quality Hill and Garment district folks.  I always ASSUMED it was for all paper products but now that it seems there might be a distinction between newspaper and other stuff based on some posts I see here, I hope I haven't been tossing the wrong stuff in it.  Anyone know the story with that particular dumpster; Beccanator perhaps?  Also, is there really no glass drop off anywhere in the greater downtown area?  I always keep my eyes peeled for one but end up just tossing my glass much of the time.
LenexatoKCMO wrote: We get the service for free.  You carry your cans and bottles out to the dumpster and a few hours later you can watch the neighborhood homeless rifle through the trash for cans and bottles to take for redemption.  Why bother implementing an expensive city run system? 
  This is exactly what I do with my aluminum.  Once I get a bag full I bundle it up and sit it in the dumpster area (not IN the dumpster) and within 24 hours it is always gone.  Helping the homeless AND recycling all at once.  Anytime I clean out my cabinents of old canned goods it seems I'll never use, or throw away anything that might appeal to a homeless person for that matter I do the same with it.  More often than not my offerings are accepted.  If something stays there for more than three or four days, I then chuck it in the dumpster.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Gretz wrote: This is exactly what I do with my aluminum.  Once I get a bag full I bundle it up and sit it in the dumpster area (not IN the dumpster) and within 24 hours it is always gone.  Helping the homeless AND recycling all at once.  Anytime I clean out my cabinents of old canned goods it seems I'll never use, or throw away anything that might appeal to a homeless person for that matter I do the same with it.  More often than not my offerings are accepted.  If something stays there for more than three or four days, I then chuck it in the dumpster.
We have a new guy who is very adept at "recycling" cigarette butts out of the smoker's outposts by the doors.