Recycling for Multi-Unit Dwellings

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Recycling for Multi-Unit Dwellings

Post by KCLofts »

From what I understand, Deffenbaugh is working on a new program to address some of the issues with their current apt./condo recycling program.

HOA board members should receive an Evite for upcoming discussions in February.
Last edited by KCLofts on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I've had the chance to see this program.  Kudos to Deffenbaugh for initiating this when market prices for recyclables is sure to cost them a loss.  They seem to be taking a long-range view on this.

Jami, the rep for Deff who is out in the community promoting this opportunity deserves a lot of credit for her enthusiasm and follow through.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

loftguy wrote: I've had the chance to see this program.  Kudos to Deffenbaugh for initiating this when market prices for recyclables is sure to cost them a loss.  They seem to be taking a long-range view on this.

Jami, the rep for Deff who is out in the community promoting this opportunity deserves a lot of credit for her enthusiasm and follow through.
Agreed. We had her visit our HOA board. It sounds like she really pushed for this service despite internal opposition. I hope we can make it work as intended.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Have they obtained recycle units that can be rolled yet?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote: Have they obtained recycle units that can be rolled yet?
If you are talking about the containers themselves, they are large plastic tub-like trash cans similar to what you'd have for residential trash. Should be very easy to work with, though they estimate that each tub only accommodates 3 households, meaning a large building could have tub overload. We are going to start out with 8 of then for 80 units and see how adoption is.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCPowercat wrote: Have they obtained recycle units that can be rolled yet?
If I remember correctly, they are 63 gallon tubs.  They also have eight cubic yard dumpster type recycle units.  Basically 6.5' x 7' and take up the space of a parking spot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah when I contacted them they only had large bins that required enough room for a front loading truck to access it. Which we don't have.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

deffenbaugh's multi-unit recycling program begins in a few weeks! contact your property manager to see if you're included!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: deffenbaugh's multi-unit recycling program begins in a few weeks! contact your property manager to see if you're included!
We have had it for a couple months. 
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

WST got it this week.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

The Metropolitan started today.

I can't wait to see people trying to stuff huge boxes into the smaller bins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ours actually arrived this week! quelle surprise! does everyone's bins say only #1/#2 plastics? i hope they start taking all of them like they do for curbside.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: ours actually arrived this week! quelle surprise! does everyone's bins say only #1/#2 plastics? i hope they start taking all of them like they do for curbside.
Yeah - ours conveniently came with two completely conflicting lists painted on it.  I err on the side of the more liberal list. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Was in a condo tower in San Diego a couple of weeks ago...taking the trash to the closet. It said on the trash can and recycling bin that huge fines would be assessed for not recycling. Sounds like KC is behind the times. No surprise there.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

NDTeve wrote: Was in a condo tower in San Diego a couple of weeks ago...taking the trash to the closet. It said on the trash can and recycling bin that huge fines would be assessed for not recycling. Sounds like KC is behind the times. No surprise there.
Fines for NOT recycling? i'd move out of that condo before they start fining you for using "too much" water or electricity.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

coreyo wrote: Fines for NOT recycling? i'd move out of that condo before they start fining you for using "too much" water or electricity.
In CA its probably the city and/or utility that is likely to fine you for over using water and electricity.  Whether it offends your political sensibilities or not - rationing may have to be a part of your life when you choose to move to a resourceless desert. 
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: In CA its probably the city and/or utility that is likely to fine you for over using water and electricity.  Whether it offends your political sensibilities or not - rationing may have to be a part of your life when you choose to move to a resourceless desert. 
There's a difference between a fine and a price for purchasing water.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

coreyo wrote: Fines for NOT recycling? i'd move out of that condo before they start fining you for using "too much" water or electricity.
It's not just condo buildings.  Entire cities are moving towards fines for throwing away recyclables.  Seattle is even considering fining people for throwing away food scraps, instead of composting them.  It might sound crazy to someone who has only lived in the Midwest, but is the direction in which much of the country is going.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

...and it all sounds totalitarian until they come and take your land for the next landfill. ;)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

coreyo wrote: There's a difference between a fine and a price for purchasing water.
In practice it can be pretty blurred - the fine for using too much water will just be assessed on your next water bill.  I guess you could call that the "price for purchasing water".  We are already halfway there in the KC area - there are several local water utilities that will charge you a substantial penalty rate on the delta between your winter average and your summer average.