Recycling for Multi-Unit Dwellings

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Recycling for Multi-Unit Dwellings

Post by beccanator »

Gretz wrote: Anyone know the story with that particular dumpster; Beccanator perhaps?  Also, is there really no glass drop off anywhere in the greater downtown area?
This dumpster is used by the offices in the Rivergate Building, though I can't see any real harm in people occasionally using it to recycle the correct materials (namely office paper), however, it is probably preferred that recyclables are taken to the nearest recycling center.

Glass can be dropped off at the UMKC Community Recycling Center (one block east of 48th and Troost)- not exactly downtown, but if your metro travels ever take you that direction, just take a load of recycling with you.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i just throw all my stuff directly into the river.  much easier that way.  i also take special care to strangle birds and turtles with my plastic 6-pack rings.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Gotta thin the herds of rampaging turtles.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

beccanator wrote: Glass can be dropped off at the UMKC Community Recycling Center (one block east of 48th and Troost)- not exactly downtown, but if your metro travels ever take you that direction, just take a load of recycling with you.
The environmental campus location over on Deramus (just east of Chouteau) is actually a mile closer for those of us in the north loop and River Market, but it lacks all of the nice perks and helpful volunteers of the UMKC spot.
RiverMarketDweller
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by RiverMarketDweller »

I wonder who the firestation next to Bridgeworks has doing their recycling?
Attachments
firestation_recycle.jpg
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

staubio wrote: The environmental campus location over on Deramus (just east of Chouteau) is actually a mile closer for those of us in the north loop and River Market, but it lacks all of the nice perks and helpful volunteers of the UMKC spot.
Does anyone know if this place closes its gates at six like the midtown one?  I can almost never get there before six so I end up driving around with a car full of trash for several days/a week + sometimes before I can get in there and it's sucking my will to be a good, recycling citizen.  Or is there at least a "paperboard" (which is OK for most paper-ish products I understand, which are what pile up quickly for me at least) dumpster around DT somewhere I can dump in frequently while saving glass, plastic bottles, etc. for less frequent trips to the center?

**EDIT**  Just saw this post and answered my own question about the paper products part.  Still wondering about closing time at Deramus, though...
moderne wrote: There is also a bin at Admiral and Charlotte that takes all paper products.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

RiverMarketDweller wrote: I wonder who the firestation next to Bridgeworks has doing their recycling?

Hmmm, I wonder how that is classified as a single family dwelling?   :?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Gretz wrote: Does anyone know if this place closes its gates at six like the midtown one?  I can almost never get there before six so I end up driving around with a car full of trash for several days/a week + sometimes before I can get in there and it's sucking my will to be a good, recycling citizen.  Or is there at least a "paperboard" (which is OK for most paper-ish products I understand, which are what pile up quickly for me at least) dumpster around DT somewhere I can dump in frequently while saving glass, plastic bottles, etc. for less frequent trips to the center?

**EDIT**  Just saw this post and answered my own question about the paper products part.  Still wondering about closing time at Deramus, though...
I believe it closes at 5 but it definitely closes at 6 or before.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Deramus Community Recycling Center
Hours of operation:
Tues-Sat: 8:00 am-4:00pm
Closed Sundays and Mondays
Directions:
4707 Deramus, north of Front St., east of Chouteau and on Deramus
On the Kansas City, Missouri Environmental Campus.
Center operated by the Department of Solid Waste, City of Kansas City, Missouri and Bridging The Gap.

http://www.bridgingthegap.org/PROGRAMS/ ... eWhere.htm

Also, while paperboard is the okay destination for most everything, it is the "lowest common denominator" for recyclable paper. That basically means that it has fewer meaningful reuses, can seldom be recycled again and probably requires the most energy to convert. When possible, it is good to break out office paper, magazines, etc, from the paperboard. I usually sort through my pile of mixed paper trying to pick out as much of the other types as I can and then the rest goes in paperboard.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Just learned at my HOA meeting last night that Deffenbaugh is offering a recycling program for condos and apartments now.

8 cu yd containers are $38/month and are picked up twice a month.

Unfortunately, most buildings won't be able to participate due to Deffenbaugh's access requirements.  There has to be sufficient space for a frontload truck to easily get to the container, raise it overhead, and dump it.

7 of the 8 properties that our management company deals with do not meet the access requirements and so are not eligible.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

We just had a multi-unit recycling dumpster installed at our building.  I don't know if the city had anything to do with it or if we are paying extra to Defenbaugh. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: We just had a multi-unit recycling dumpster installed at our building.  I don't know if the city had anything to do with it or if we are paying extra to Defenbaugh. 
definitely NOT the city.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lenexa. Is there a number on the front of the dumpster, I would be interested for our association.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Lenexa. Is there a number on the front of the dumpster, I would be interested for our association.
Don't know the #, but its branded with a Defenbaugh logo. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

cool. Missed you said the company before.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Anybody have any good suggestions for an apartment sized recycling container?  Our built in excuse has kind of evaporated. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is the dumpster one that has a section for each type of recyclable?

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Is the dumpster one that has a section for each type of recyclable?
No we don't have to sort - but they did put restrictions on what we can put in - certain numbers of plastic only, no glass, etc.  A letter came around when they put it in. 
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

The Downtown Neighborhood Association is working with Batliner to get a program put together that can be patterned off of around downtown.  We have monthly meetings the first Wednesday of every month.  PM me if anyone is interested in attending or getting his or her building's HOA involved.  At last night's meeting we discussed progress on two pilot programs.  We are also seeking a grant from MARC to educate residents getting new programs. 

We have a pilot program starting at Bridgeworks soon through Batliner.  Batliner requires three-way separation into a) paper (newspaper, office paper, mail etc.) b) aluminum/plastic and c) cardboard.  They pick-up upon request, instead of on a schedule, which works out better for smaller buildings.  The main problem with this is that they need a full ton minimum to warrant a pickup.  This is about 6 of the smaller 3X3 dumpsters filled with paper, or about 8 if some are aluminum/plastic and cardboard.  Not all buildings have adequate storage for this many dumpsters, of course, so we are trying to negotiate with them to allow a single pickup to service more than one adjacent location.  The service is free and may even generate revenue.

Defenbaugh has a pilot program already in effect at my building, the Manhattan.  It is a mixed dumpster and sounds like it's probably the same deal as at LNXTOKCMO's building.  This option works well for larger buildings that can reliably generate enough recycling to fill the dumpster completely for regular pick-ups.  I was not aware of a charge for it though.  As general practice recyclers pay for recyclable materials, not the other way around.
Last edited by Gretz on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Deffenbaugh is $20 a month for their dumpster on top of whatever you pay for normal trash service.  Their dumpster won't work for us unfortunately.  they told me they are looking to get smaller dumpsters as well.