Union Hill

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Union Hill

Post by shinatoo »

kcdcchef wrote: welcome to the forum new poster, this thread is really showing what a great forum we truly are.
Sorry to leave you out Chef.

I was going to go to Chefs opening day tailgate but it's a little too Jewie for me, but some people love Jews.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Totally.

I refuse to apologize for making fun of homogeny. It could be any color, whatever. Strikes me as kind of intellectually dishonest to repeatedly imply I'm a racist for prefering diversity in neighborhoods. If you take issue with my choice of words, fine, but you should probably get over it.
Last edited by mean on Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

i think this is one of those things.... if you're white i guess it's ok to say a place is too white, but i think it would cross into racism if someone from a different race said it.  You know, kind of like race or religious jokes (as long as the person of that race or religion makes the jokes it's somewhat acceptable..... or not).  Ok, i won't get into the p.c culture wars, lol
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Hopefully Jon has a sense of humor.  (Jon I don't think any of these people live in Union Hill so you'll be safe there). :lol:
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

Jon wrote: Moving to KC.  What's the real story with Union Hill?  Good place to move?  Sketchy?
I am a big fan of Union Hill.  Have known folks who lived there and loved it.  Looked into moving there myself about 5 years ago, but chose Pendleton Heights (for personal preference reasons) for a permanent home.  Union Hill is one of those rare KC neighborhoods with character.  And, the new construction is well managed too. Location sure is attractive whereas your mid-location puts you in the heart of the city.  The new shops at the "Founders" development will make things even better.  Wish you well with the relocation...welcome to KC.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

hey Jon , if you ever consider living in the heart of midtown try Old Hyde Park Historic District, it's a nice quiet neighborhood like Union Hill. There are condos and/or apartments in the area. Here's a picture of one.
Of course the MAX runs on Main Street which is close by. Enterprise rent a car is at 36 and main. The Lost Sock laund o mat is next store. If you like salsa dancing you can only go once a month to the Madrid Theatre. The Nelson-Atkins Museum is close if you like art.
If you drink, Westport is not far, just a mere 20 minute walk.

Jon , heres a close up, they put up a wrought iron fence with an electric gate

Across the street is a tennis court in Gillham Park, just right across the street.
Last edited by Paintfumes on Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Fumey- OHPN has such cool old buildings, don't you have anything better to show the guy than those pieces of sh*t. :?  Those don't represent at all. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 32842.html

remember kids:
(1) when you see your nemesis,
(2) commence shooting,
(3) peel out and drive 50mph towards a busy road during evening rush hour, remembering to keep shooting,
(4) take bullet in the neck,
(5) collide full-speed with woman driving minivan en route to tina turner concert,
(6) exit vehicle (a stolen brand new acura RL),
(7) stumble into Sol Cantina, bleeding,
(8 ) pass out behind the bar,
(9) wake up to KCPD handcuffing you as you are placed into ambulance,
(10) do not snitch.

ta-da! 

(details provided by server at The Drop, where the minivan victim went after the wreck.)

i came upon this right after it happened.  31st and gillham streets were closed for over three hours.  the scene looked like something from an action movie. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Well, at least he "kept it real", and that's what matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFXwvS6SCQk
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

At some point this "stop snitchin" shit needs to be dealt with, but I have no idea how. How can police coerce people to talk, legally?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think an anonymous tip website would be of use.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bahua wrote: I think an anonymous tip website would be of use.
They already have an anonymous TIPS hotline. I can't imagine more people in poorer neighborhoods would use the net than the phone.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

The wife and I went on a bicycle ride around our neighborhood immediately after this happened, retracing the route of the cars involved in the rolling gun battle, and weaving in and out of alleys and parked police cars.  I think its funny that all of the lawyers/real estate people that hang out at martini corner were so taken aback by the rolling gun battle.  Hilarious. 
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton