Where do you get groceries?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Where do you get groceries?

Post by WSPanic »

I go to Sunfresh Westport for anything packaged or in boxes. For produce and meat - I usually hit the Fairway Henhouse. I've noticed that the Sunfresh is getting better with regards to cleanliness and even a little better on the service. I've even started buying a little meat there again - but not much.

I heard that the Jones Store downtown was going to be a Whole Foods - which would be awesome. I'm only two blocks from Sunfresh, but I would definitely make the trip downtown for that (I work downtown, so it could be an afterwork deal). I'm looking forward to it.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

Don't forget Wild Oats and Thriftway on Main.  There is also Apple Market on Cleaver Blvd--it's sometimes a bit ghetto, but thats the charm of the place!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

paisstat wrote: Don't forget Wild Oats and Thriftway on Main.  There is also Apple Market on Cleaver Blvd--it's sometimes a bit ghetto, but thats the charm of the place!

Isn't there also a ghettoy Apple Market on Broadway at Valentine?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

scooterj wrote:
Isn't there also a ghettoy Apple Market on Broadway at Valentine?
Yes there is, and it's quite the eyesore too, that whole strip mall edifice it resides in. Across the street though is some fine, pleasing buildings lined with trees on the sidewalk.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Just FYI :

We went to the new Price Chopper over in Roeland Park yesterday. It's a big-time improvement over their old location there. And maaaaaan, was it PACKED yesterday.  :shock:
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

DiggityDawg wrote: Just FYI :

We went to the new Price Chopper over in Roeland Park yesterday. It's a big-time improvement over their old location there. And maaaaaan, was it PACKED yesterday.  :shock:
What's the selction like? Still a big variety of ethnic foods?
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Yep. They kept everything that was good about the old version of the store next door, & expanded on it.

Here's a story about the new location from this AM's Star :

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 307490.htm
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DiggityDawg wrote: Yep. They kept everything that was good about the old version of the store next door, & expanded on it.

Here's a story about the new location from this AM's Star :

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 307490.htm
You mean with all that coupon clipping you find time to read the articles too!  now I am really impressed  :lol:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

that Roeland Park Price Chopper looks awesome!  if i lived in the urban core, that's where i would get my groceries - at least until they put a Trader Joe's downtown.  :)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Unfortunately the area all around the Roe Price Chopper is all tore the hell up right now with the redevelopment so its not necessarily all that handy to get in and out of
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

It's not bad if you enter over by the apartment buildings on the north side of the PC.

Now back to my coupons.  :P
drgath
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drgath »

Did my grocery shopping at that Price Chopper over the weekend and as someone who loves cook, I love it!  Great prices too.  Their hispanic meat section is really cool.  $3.99 / lb of ready to go Fajita mix?  Crazy cheap.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I really liked the beefed up produce section, too.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I was on a search for soy ice cream for my milk-allergic girlfriend this weekend and ended up at the old Meiner's in Brookside, which is now owned by the same owners as the PC.  The place is very well done inside and has a nice selection of more upscale foods.  The service was excellent and the place is very attractive and clean.  If I lived in Brookside, I'd go there all the time, but it is a nice ride down the Trolley Trail or on MAX to get there.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

man, no one shops at Local Harvest?  :(

i actually haven't browsed their store much so i have no idea what they have.  But i thought they were supposed to be a local/organic grocery store.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ComandanteCero wrote: man, no one shops at Local Harvest?  :(

i actually haven't browsed their store much so i have no idea what they have.  But i thought they were supposed to be a local/organic grocery store.
They don't carry much.  It is almost all produce with a bit of organic milk and a few assorted bath items but really very sparse.  They don't even usually have that much produce; they lay out their entire inventory on one table in the middle of the store.  The stuff that they do have is nice but the sparseness of the place could very easily lead one to believe you walked into one of those soviet era markets with the bare shelves they used to always show on tv in the 80s.  I can picture going there to pick up an item or two of nice produce for a special dinner but the place is almost totally useless as a neighborhood market. 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

i tried local harvest in the crossroads a couple of times, was disappointed. Very limited selection of anything, really.  Less than 1,000 sq ft of space. The people were really nice, but not a good selection.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Yeah...I like the concept of Local Harvest more than the execution.

I get all my organic stuff at Wild Oats in Mission.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i agree.  i think there should be a nice little organic grocer downtown, but Local Harvest isn't much better than a roadside tent with an old toothless guy selling tomatoes and zucchini.  i can't believe that place stays in business.  their daily take has to be like $30.00. 

i say let's get a Trader Joe's downtown.  that is a chain i can rally behind.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I love the idea of having a neighborhood market of some sort within walking distance but LH is a big let down so far.  I tip my hat to them for pioneering down there but for god's sake get some more merchandise.  A neighborhood market is only really worthwile if you can walk over and scrape together a meal.  LH is so brutally sparse you would be pretty damn hard pressed to put together a meal based on a trip there alone.  They have set the place up almost as a given that you are going to have to go to some other sort of food store to make a complete meal.  That concept might work if it wasn't for the fact that there are no other food stores anywhere remotely near there and folks are always going to have to go get in the car and drive accross town to get anything else they might want to accompany their radishes and organic milk. 

This is a little bit of a tangent but this thread seems stalled anyway so what the heck - Why on earth has no one opened a liqour store in the crossroads yet?  Seems like a no brainer - lots of you professionals and artists - big party scene - but outside of the gas station on Grand, no booze?  I would think an upscale wine shop/liqour store would be a sure bet success in one of the umteen available retail spaces.  I hope someone with some capital is reading this.