Where do you get groceries?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Gorlock
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Where do you get groceries?

Post by Gorlock »

There used to be a liquor store at 18th and Campbell.  Many vagrants and underprivleged people went there to purchase liquor.  The store also served food.  The owners continued to keep the property open with all the crime in the area at the time.  They finally closed when one of the owners or workers were shot to death at the store.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Gorlock wrote: There used to be a liquor store at 18th and Campbell.  Many vagrants and underprivleged people went there to purchase liquor.  The store also served food.  The owners continued to keep the property open with all the crime in the area at the time.  They finally closed when one of the owners or workers were shot to death at the store.
I was thinking more 18th and Wyandotte and keep it very upscale.  No ripple.  No pints.  No malt.  No tallboys.  Focus on wine and nice beer .  That would hopefully keep the undesirable crowd from being very interested. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I was thinking more 18th and Wyandotte and keep it very upscale.  No ripple.  No pints.  No malt.  No tallboys.  Focus on wine and nice beer .  That would hopefully keep the undesirable crowd from being very interested. 
or you'll just see Toothless Bob running out of the store with an armload of Boulevard Wheat and $75 bottles of Cabernet.  :lol:
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

well at least we will be able to brag about the classy winos in KC.  Do you think people from the burbs would be less turned off if the vagrants they passed downtown offered them a pull off a fine bottle of cab when they walk by?
drgath
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drgath »

Question... Where's the closest place to the loop to buy the staples like bread, milk, OJ, etc... Since moving down here a month ago, I buy all my product and other random stuff at the River Market, but do I have to go all the way out to the Price Chopper on Roe/Westport to buy bread & milk?  I try to abandon my car on the weekend and just bike wherever I need to go, and would love if there was a place close enough to the loop that I could just bike there.

Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

drgath wrote: Question... Where's the closest place to the loop to buy the staples like bread, milk, OJ, etc... Since moving down here a month ago, I buy all my product and other random stuff at the River Market, but do I have to go all the way out to the Price Chopper on Roe/Westport to buy bread & milk?  I try to abandon my car on the weekend and just bike wherever I need to go, and would love if there was a place close enough to the loop that I could just bike there.

Cityboy mentioned this earlier ... Snyder's on Independence Avenue and Prospect is the closest full grocery to downtown. Check it out, it's not bad - makes for a great bike ride if you take the back streets as well.
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

Where's the closest place to buy smokes near the Crossroads district (excluding bars)?  I swear its seems an adventure each time.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

YJ's?  That gas station on Grand?  What's wrong with getting them at bars?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

They're really expensive in bars.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
gootsku
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by gootsku »

Besides being expensive, they are nearly always a brand that I dislike, such as 100s.  As a dedicated smoker, I need a specific brand.  I just moved to 21st and Central 3 weeks ago.  Everytime I need smokes, or other essentials, I seem destined for a 10 block adventure trying to find the nearest gas station or drug store.  I swear if I had the capital I'd open some sort of sundry shop nearby.

Speaking of which, I live in Freighthouse Lofts at Stuart Hall.  The developers left much room for retail.  Yesterday, I walked around the building to dump trash, a total fiasco by the way, and wandered by a part of the building destined for retail.  A group of 15-20 or so persons were having a meeting.  By the looks of the cars parked out front, I am assuming they were investors.  Any story on what is going on?  I am praying for a coffee shop/panera breadish type of place.  Daddy needs his mochachino.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

hey gootsku, there is a gas station over on grand, like 17th, not convienent, but they will have your smokes.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

I go to the Hen House off of I-29.  People always exclaim that "it's more expensive there!"  Is there any truth to that?  And more expensive than what... Wal-Mart?  'Cause I will not go there.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

BTW a new meat market opened up in City Market a couple of weeks ago, next to Al-Habashi.    They do sell a lot of "odd" meats like rabbit and such but they also have sausage, chicken, steaks (the best I've ever had outside a restaurant, in fact) and eggs.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

scooterj wrote: BTW a new meat market opened up in City Market a couple of weeks ago, next to Al-Habashi.    They do sell a lot of "odd" meats like rabbit and such but they also have sausage, chicken, steaks (the best I've ever had outside a restaurant, in fact) and eggs.
This brings me to ask something I have been curious about for sometime - does anybody know what the average hours of operation are on the permenant market stalls in the city market are?  I get the impression some of them are indeed open on weekdays, but how late?  I have often thought of heading there to pick up some last minute staple after work but I always wind up heading to the Sunfresh instead as I assume they are all closed. 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I think many are closed on Mondays, but open the rest of the week. I'm not sure what their hours are. According to the website, you'd have to contact the individual merchants to check their hours.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Thanks Tat -
any idea if any of the produce markets are open after 5? 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'm rarely there before 6 on weekdays and they're all closed by then.  Some of them leave their food out under a tarp and I've often been tempted to take some food and leave the cash in its place. :)
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

sethyg wrote: I go to the Hen House off of I-29.  People always exclaim that "it's more expensive there!"  Is there any truth to that?  And more expensive than what... Wal-Mart?  'Cause I will not go there.
I find it hard to believe. I'm a regular HH shopper, & between using their shopping card & cutting coupons we save about 40% a week there. Last week it was 67% .  :shock:
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

DiggityDawg wrote: I find it hard to believe. I'm a regular HH shopper, & between using their shopping card & cutting coupons we save about 40% a week there. Last week it was 67% .  :shock:
Yeah, I save quite a bit there, too, usually around 15-20%.  It could be a mind-trick to make you think you're saving a lot... but I'm betting more that it's just a brand perception that Hen House costs more than other grocery stores.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i used to actually grocery shop for everything but meat at the quality hill drug store, at 11th and broadway. but i saw in my last trip to kc that it is a quiznos now. that kind of sucked, i saw it grow from a tiny little place in the early 90's, to doubled in size in 94, when they added a big refrigerated section and a larger grocery section.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D