Things you do in your free time.

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
drgath
Pad site
Pad site

Things you do in your free time.

Post by drgath »

I just moved to 9th & Walnut last week, and I work a ton of hours, so the weekends for me is really my only time to kick back, relax, and enjoy my new neighborhood.  M-F, 9-5, I'm a computer programmer in Overland Park, so the more time I spend outside of my house off the internet, downtown, the better.  Things I've done so far.... jogs down to the river market for food & exploration, bike rides to Quality Hill, drives through the crossroads, burgers at Town Topic, and I've been to the library a few times.  So... what things might I be missing out on that the longer tenured downtown residents can offer advice on to the new guy in town?  Not only looking for anything crazy or real interesting, just what do you guys do in your free time down here.  Should I go take a bike ride to X park, go grab a bite to eat at X restaurant, etc...  I dunno, small things too.

Expanding on the bike rides topic, any nearby trails or good off-road paths to check out?  If I wanted to get up to Berkley Park, how would I go about doing that on a bike?  Only way I saw was on the bridge next to the Cold Storage building and I think I might get run over.

Thanks  :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Things you do in your free time.

Post by KCPowercat »

eat and booze it up.  Self made urban walking tours.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC_Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Fan »

Bike over to Crown Center for a matinee show and grab a drink at the Cashew on your way back.
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

drgath wrote:Expanding on the bike rides topic, any nearby trails or good off-road paths to check out?  If I wanted to get up to Berkley Park, how would I go about doing that on a bike?  Only way I saw was on the bridge next to the Cold Storage building and I think I might get run over.
I run over that bridge about 3-4 times a week.  You won't get hit on it.  :)
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I have now lived downtown (Quality Hill) for 3 months.  I also work a ton of hours, even on weekends.  So, my "relax" times come few and far between.  But, so far, I have enjoyed Case Park.  I guess it's safe...nothing has happened to me yet.  I have also gone to the River Market area to eat, shop, etc.  And, yes, there's Crown Center.

And, believe it or not, I have found a good way to relax is spending some time at the Kansas City Public Library.  It's just a few blocks from me, so I can walk there.  It's quite, it's air-conditioned, and I can read/learn a lot about KC and Downtown KC.  I'm just not sure if it's open on Saturdays?!?!

As for as bike riding, I just ride around Quality Hill.  It's very beautiful (in my opinion) and there are less cars.

I'm sure there's plenty more to do downtown on the weekends, I just haven't discovered them yet.  :-)
KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

AllThings, the downtown library opens at 9 on Saturday morning, I believe.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Tosspot wrote: AllThings, the downtown library opens at 9 on Saturday morning, I believe.
Ok, awesome!  That's great!  That means that there's one more thing to do in DT KCMO on the weekends.  =D>
KC is the way to be!
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

You guys should have a get together with the new guy. That's what we 'burb women would do 8) :lol: 

To help someone new find their way around.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

If you are worried about the Grand St. Viaduct, go through Columbus Park and down into the east bottoms and then access Berkely from the east side. 

As far as bike rides, I've got a ton of them, but I'm late for work right now, so I'll get back to you.
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

staubio wrote: If you are worried about the Grand St. Viaduct, go through Columbus Park and down into the east bottoms and then access Berkely from the east side. 
You could also just go below the Grand bridge to the left or right, if coming from the new Chinatown store's direction -- wind around some stuff below, and end up on the Riverfront trail - which takes you into Berkely Park.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Walk the dog at Loose or Penn Valley Park.

Go to Nelson-Atkins Art Gallery. I could spend days there.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Coffee Girls on SW. Blvd is a great place to hang out.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kccrackednut
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kccrackednut »

For lots of people, the Diamond Shamrock service station north of Ilus Davis Park is a fun place to hang out at night.  :P
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

You can also get to the riverfront by taking 3rd or 1st Streets east from the City Market, through Columbus Park and north on Lydia to the east entrance of Berkley park.  The West Bottoms is also an interesting ride.  Here are some of my faves...  http://www.ericrogers.org/biking/kc.htm
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

when i lived on quality hill, i used to walk down the 12th street bridge, and hang around the west bottoms, there are some that will argue it is unsafe, however, as someone who went down there all the time, i can assure you there really isnt even anyone down there, great little hole in the wall cafe's, beautiful architecture. also, perhaps go over to the west side. couple of little restaurants over there that are great, especially as you get closer to 20th, like californias and what not. cheers
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I bike downtown two to three times a week from my house in Brookside.  A nice side benefit of the KC MAX has been the much smoother lanes on Main Street.  The ride to the Nelson from downtown is a very nice one.  The Kemper is also a great place to stop for a visit.  As for places to go, I love breakfast at YJ's on the weekends, also the West Side is a great place to bike... be sure to pick up some bread at Fervere (17th and Summit) and if you have time grab a bite at Blue Bird.  You can then bike north across the bridge by the FBI building and right into Quality Hill.   
cityboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by cityboy »

You should bike on the Cliff Drive area of the Upper East Side.  There is an annual bike race there so it must be pretty good for biking.  Lots of people doing it.....good paved road with lots of wonderful scenery...rare in KC and in a downtown neighborhood too!  I often walk my dog there (yes I pick it up)
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

I second Cliff Drive.  Absolutely gorgeous.  It's amazing how little publicity the place gets.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

cityboy wrote: You should bike on the Cliff Drive area of the Upper East Side.  There is an annual bike race there so it must be pretty good for biking.  Lots of people doing it.....good paved road with lots of wonderful scenery...rare in KC and in a downtown neighborhood too!  I often walk my dog there (yes I pick it up)
DEFINITELY.  Cliff Drive rocks.  I collect old KC postcards.  I have quite a few of Cliff Drive and it is just as beautiful now as it used to be in the 1920s. I took these pictures about a month ago:

scartva
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by scartva »

How do you get here??  The area looks great!!