Moving to KC soon...

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
aric
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Moving to KC soon...

Post by aric »

I am a current Washington,DC resident who is moving to Kansas City in June/July for work. I am definitely an urban lover - not a fan of suburbs - and I really want to live in a neighborhood where I can walk to grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. - I can't stand needing to get in a car every single time I need to go somewhere. I know renting a place downtown or in Westport is probably my best bet for that, however, I am 32 and married, and thinking about having kids in the next couple years, so I would like to buy a house. What are the places I should consider?

From what I have gathered, I THINK the answer is Brookside, but I'd be interested in your thoughts. Hyde Park interests me, but I have heard the "it's not safe to raise a family there" argument.

One more thing -- About the KC public schools... I'm not making my decision now based on schools since we don't even have kids yet, but I would like to live someplace that there is at least a possibility that I would be able to send future children to public schools. I know KCMO schools are, for the most part, bad, but, based on web research, it seems that Brookside Day is a good elementary and Lincoln Prep is a good middle/high school. Anybody have insight on that?

Aric
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Moving to KC soon...

Post by KCPowercat »

Aric,

Welcome to KC. It will be different from DC for sure. Our mass transit is nothing compared to what you are used to. Despite that I'm pretty confident you'll love KC like most of us do. to your questions.

Location - Brookside most likely although most of Brookside you'd have to drive to the grocery store. Hyde Park is a nice area with nice houses but I've not sure about the crime in the area....I've never heard it was out of control. Downtown would be good except you want a house. They are building some nice rowhouses around downtown (summitt at 16th development, Gillham Row...check project database for info) as well as lofts but single family houses are non-existent. Sad as it is, you probably will find hardly any areas where you don't have to jump in your car to get things.

Schools - I'm no help.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Moving to KC soon...

Post by staubio »

I don't think you'd have to drive for groceries in Brookside. It depends on how close to 63rd and Brookside Blvd you are, which is essentially the apex of the neighborhood. I have a friend that lives over on Meyer Blvd and Morningside and walks a few blocks to get groceries or go to get dinner and/or drinks.

I contemplated buying a house in Hyde Park. I don't consider it unsafe at all -- I ride my bike through the area alone at night all of the time. Main and Broadway are probably the two streets best served by transit in the city, so Hyde Park isn't far off.

If I was in your situation, I would also consider the Volker neighborhood around 39th Street, west of Southwest Trafficway and north of Westport Road. There are a lot of great houses in the area and it puts you close to many dining and nightlife options. The southeast portion of this neighborhood puts you across the trafficway from Westport's attractions and the grocery store.

The Westport/Plaza area (between Wesport south to 47th) has a smattering of houses that are in a good location for both neighborhoods. I live on Roanoke Parkway at the moment and it is a short walk to the Plaza, though I normally spend my time north of there. I use my bike to ride to coffee, dinner or small grocery runs in Westport.

Feel free to ask any specific questions. I've "tested out" neighborhoods for their walkability and transit service all over the city and would love to help you find a happy home in KC.

...and, by all means, welcome! Let me buy you a cup of coffee in your neighborhood shop when you arrive.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Moving to KC soon...

Post by KCPowercat »

you can also call the KCMO community policing office (I think that's the name) and they can give you crime stats for any area.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Moving to KC soon...

Post by GRID »

Schools are good in certian areas of urban KCMO at the elemetary level. I think Brookside and Valentine would be fine. But from middle school and up, you might have to go private or move.

I think if you are looking for an urban area, but an area that could accomodate a family, then Brookside is the way to go. Valentine is ok too, but many services are not close.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Moving to KC soon...

Post by MidtownGrrl »

Aric, good luck with your move!

I live in South Hyde Park and love the housing stock, as well as the diversity in the neighborhood. Hyde Park has excellent transit service (for KC) with the Troost line. The lack of services (groceries, restaurants) is a drawback. In South Hyde Park, we have a park just down the hill (4 blocks from my house). Most of the crime is property crime - some breakins, a lot of car breakins and theft of license plate stickers.

I think Brookside is probably meets most of your criteria pretty well. Brookside has service that is almost as good, with the Ward Parkway, South Oak and Country Club lines. The houses are more expensive, but will be a bargain compared to DC, I bet. As for crime in Brookside, I don't really know. My in-laws' place was broken into a couple of years ago, but I think that's the only time in 20+ years.

(If you'd like the name of the buyer's agent that I used 3 years ago, send me a private message. He's great with older properties.)

I don't know how it is for kids, but I sometimes wish we had bought the area around the 39th Street, closer to state line. There are plenty of affordable restaurants, a park nearby, and large old homes. Depending on how far you are willing to walk for a full service grocery, you could find someplace halfway between State Line and Southwest Trafficway.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Moving to KC soon...

Post by dangerboy »

The schools are slowly improving. There are definitely some very good elementary schools in the KCMO school district, middle and high schools still lag. But Lincoln Prep (middle and high school) is definitely good. It ranks right up there with suburban high schools in many Missouri stats and rankings. It's best to talk to people how have kids the district if you want a real assessment besides the media hype that focuses on the negative.

Another option that may work for you is North Kansas City. It's a small inner suburb surrounded by the north side of KCMO proper. It's right across the river from Downtown, and has a pedestrian shopping district in the middle of town. They are also building a neo-traditional neighborhood with new houses, row houses, patio homes, and businesses. And it's in the North Kansas City School District, one of the better suburban districts.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Moving to KC soon...

Post by bahua »

If you want to walk to the grocery store, then the urban core is out. Because of its limited access and massive parking lot position, there's no such thing as a short walk to Sunfresh, the only real grocery store that serves Midtown, Westport, the Plaza, or Downtown. You might be able to swing a house near to the Brookside Price Chopper, and there are a lot of things to do, within walking distance of there, but it's pretty suburban.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Moving to KC soon...

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Aric... if you have any self-respect move to the burbs!
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Moving to KC soon...

Post by staubio »

bahua wrote:If you want to walk to the grocery store, then the urban core is out. Because of its limited access and massive parking lot position, there's no such thing as a short walk to Sunfresh, the only real grocery store that serves Midtown, Westport, the Plaza, or Downtown. You might be able to swing a house near to the Brookside Price Chopper, and there are a lot of things to do, within walking distance of there, but it's pretty suburban.
Depends on what you view as a short walk. There are houses just a block or two away from Sunfresh. I live about 9 blocks away and usually ride my bike, but it is walkable. True, the design is pretty hostile to pedestrians, but that doesn't preclude you from walking there.
aric
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Moving to KC soon...

Post by aric »

Okay, I'll bite. Why would you say that?

>Slappy the Wang
>Aric... if you have any self-respect move to the burbs!
KCDevin

Moving to KC soon...

Post by KCDevin »

So slappy, your saying that KC, and a number of other forumers have no self respect? And your saying I have no self respect for wanting to live in the city? Shame on you!
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Moving to KC soon...

Post by JBinKC »

If it were me I'd rent a loft for a year and get a feel for the city. BUT, if you'd like to get in a house right away you can't go wrong with Brookside. I'd say half of it has great "convenience" walkablility, and all of it has great "pleasure" walkability.

I agree with the others that through the 5th or 6th grade KCMO public schools are fine. Depending on your kids' grades or interests a number of the KCMO High schools are for gifted students and have limited enrollment, I believe Lincoln Prep falls into this category. I've heard nothing but good things about these schools. There are quite a few good private schools in Jackson County as well.

Other neighborhoods to consider are Union Hill (depending on your budget), Central Hyde Park, Valentine, Roanoake/Coleman Highlands, 39th & State Line, West Plaza, and Plaza/Westport. All of these places have great houses, are quite walkable, and are clean and safe.

Personally, I own a house in Plaza/Westport and love it. We're just N of the Plaza, just S of Westport. Its a dynamic neighborhood that appears to be a hotbed of development very soon.

Hope any of this helps.

Slappy, seriously?!!?! Where do you live?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Moving to KC soon...

Post by tat2kc »

I agree with Brookside. As for schools, the KCMO district is poor, but has been improving slowly but steadily in the last 3 years. By the time you need a middle or high school, they should be pretty good. As mentioned before, both Valentine and Hyde Park have some really great areas.

And welcome to KC!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Moving to KC soon...

Post by trailerkid »

I'm glad you want to raise your kids in the city. It would be a better place if more people chose the city over 'burbs.

Isn't Brookside just a bit too neo-stationwagon? A bit too, "I live in the city and raise a family and am cooler than you." Hasn't everyone and their dog thought of raising their kids in Brookside? We need families closer to the center of city to jumpstart the demographics and broaden the defintion of urban living. It would really be neat to actually have families living downtown. Just imagine the rich context a child grows up in as a "downtown kid."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Moving to KC soon...

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm a huge downtown guy and I wouldn't raise a kid where I live now....first off no other kids, 2nd no yard (which I love), just a couple reasons.....downtown is an awesome place to live but I don't think it's the right place for kids to live. Just my opinion though.

Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Moving to KC soon...

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Pals, perhaps we have overlooked something. Maybe Aric is a homeless dude with internet acess? In that case, I fully support Aric moving his family downtown.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Moving to KC soon...

Post by KCPowercat »

read for comprehension Slappy, he doesn't have a family.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Moving to KC soon...

Post by dangerboy »

bahua wrote:You might be able to swing a house near to the Brookside Price Chopper, and there are a lot of things to do, within walking distance of there, but it's pretty suburban.
Suburban doesn't necessarily apply to anything without high rises. Residential neighborhoods can have single-family homes and still be urban, especially when they have stores and schools with walking distance, houses with small lots, garages and alleys in the rear, etc. There are vast stretches of the East Side that have the same phsyical layout and house types as Brookside, and there's no way you can call them suburban.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Moving to KC soon...

Post by MidtownGrrl »

If you want racial diversity in your immediate area, Brookside might not be the best area. Also, I think the area might have some of the marks of gentrification or suburb-living; some of my inlaws neighbors seem to be a bit too concerned about what everyone else's lawn looks like.