Plan my evening in the Crossroads, please!

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
PowderBlue
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by PowderBlue »

I'll get this out of the way: I'm a much-hated JoCo resident. My JoCo friends rarely if ever venture out of JoCo so I've come here for help. Before you lynch me, know that I plan on moving downtown this summer. I think JoCo is just as ugly and soulless as the rest of you do.

I'm looking for an evening out in the Crossroads area on Valentine's Day. I have a 10pm reservation at Zin and am looking for some help on what to do before then. I know that the Crossroads has some art galleries, but I've never visited any of them. I'm looking for some recommendations for some classy things to do for a couple hours before my dinner.

I've looked into seeing a play/musical, but nothing currently playing excites me too much.

Maybe this post will generate some good discussion on the best art galleries in the Crossroads.

Any ideas are welcome, and I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think most galleries are open but they won't be as populated as a First Friday night....to find out you can go to: http://www.crossroadscommunityassociation.org/ and they have the crossroads map link that has phone numbers to all the galleries and you can see if they will be open.

Other classy things? Tat?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

after dinner go to skies and have a drink in the lounge....might be packed though.

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

before dinner, Bar natasha is just across Main St. from Zin. Excellent cocktail menu, and musical entertainment till about 11 I think. Often, its Missy Konce performing, but she's excellent. I'm not sure that the galleries are open that late on a non first-friday, it's best to call to make sure.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Hey guys! I am giving a speech on downtown economic development in one of my classes, and was trying to remember the exact quote.... Crossroads was named something like top 20 up and coming neighborhoods in the country....something like that. Anyone know the exact quote, and publication, have to have those sources. Thanks!
GO ROOs!!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Roo...here is the thread about it.....that's all I know:

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/kcforum/vi ... php?t=1814

UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

thanks alot, all the info i needed is there. much appreciated!! Oh yeah sorry to interrupt the main theme of the thread, as KC mentioned i dont know if they will be open but check this thread out:

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/kcforum/vi ... ght=#19412

I liked the galllery alot, and it might get you in the whole "downtown mood." Another idea, why dont you go down to the crossroads this friday and scout out the region, see what you like, and maybe what she will like...
GO ROOs!!!!!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Glad to hear you are considering moving downtown. Most of us are pro-downtown, not anti-Johnson County, so don't hesitate to participate. I don't think many of the art galleries stay open past 5 or 6 pm on Saturdays unless there is an opening scheduled. You can save that for another time--like when it starts to get warmer. However, there are other things to do in the urban core and Crossroads District on Valentine's Day. If I had a date, and wanted to impress, I'd choose the first option below:

The Metamorphoses, a play based on the Greek and Roman myths told by the Roman poet Ovid, reinvents the stories of King Midas, Cupid, Psyche, Aphrodite, and Orpheus. It is being performed at The Missouri Repertory Theater until Feb. 15. This Tony Award-winning Broadway play communicates the mythic message of the power of love to transform. Time magazine clled it the "No. 1 show of the year." The Wall Street Journal described the play as "a gift from the gods." Ticket Office: 816-235-2700. The play contains nudity and is performed in a shimmering pool of water onstage. Tickets: $10-47. Spencer Theater at 4949 Cherry Street on UMKC campus (south of the Plaza Riverwalk).

Coterie Theater is performing After Juliet, a play that takes up the story of Romeo and Juliet after the lovers deaths. This play examines the roles of the original play's remaining characters as both the Capulets and the Montagues deal with their ongoing feud in the aftermath of the shared tragedy. Runs through Feb. 22 and is being offered in partnership with the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival. Level One, Crown Center Shops, 2450 Grand Ave (at Pershing Road). Tickets: $10 adults, $8 students. Check out or call 816-474-6552. Showtime: 7 pm. Go early and enjoy the 100 Years of Dr. Suess Celebration exhibit in Crown Center.

Evaporated Milk Society is performing The Queen's Story, an original experimental performance of themes involving history, mythology, and identity through the eyes of a royal queen and her storytelling contest. Performances every Thursday-Saturday from Feb 5-March 6. Performances begin at 8 pm. Adults $12, students $8. Ace Glass Building, 1733 McGee (near KC Star Building). Call 816-444-3678 or visit .

The Mind's Eye Theater is performing Caligula, the story about the infamous, decadent, and sexually-perverse Roman Emperor, at the Just Off Broadway Theater, 3051 Broadway (in Penn Valley Park). Tickets: 913-897-2348. This would certainly be interesting. :P

"My Way," A Musical Tribute to Frank Sinatra, runs through Feb. 22 at the American Heartland Theater in Crown Center. Tickets are $15-30. 816-842-9999.

Better with the Band runs through Feb. 22 at the Quality Hill Playhouse, 303 W. 10th (near Broadway). Tickets: $22. Call 816-421-1700 for tickets and information.

How His Bride Came to Abraham, a parable about the limits of love in an environment of hate, is being performed through Feb. 15 at the Unicorn Theater, 3828 Main (next to Grand Emporium). Tickets: $15-35. 816-531-PLAY or . Review appears in the Jan.29-Feb. 4 issue of The Pitch. Might be a bit heavy a subject matter for Valentine's Day. ;-)

Keep in mind the time each of these plays ends when considering them because you might have to change your reservation time at Zin to allow for them running past 9:30 pm, and time for your drive to Zin. You might call and ask when the play is usually over before you decide which to consider, and/or call Zin and see if you could change your reservation time at this point or not.

Other options include:

Crown Center Ice Sking Rink is open daily through March from 10 am to 11 pm on Friday and Saturday. Call 816-274-8411 to confirm hours. Admission is $6; skate rental is $2.

Visit the The Blue Room at the American Jazz Museum. Performing on Feb. 14 are Lester "Duck" Warner, Lonnie McFadden, Luqman Hamza, David Basse. Show from 8:30 pm to 1:00 am. Admission is $10, 1616 E. 18th St. (at Vine St.), 816-474-VINE(8463). The Blue Room is an actual jazz club which features contemporary Kansas City jazz artists. Baseball Hall of Fame,

On Feb. 14, at the Brick, 1727 McGee, the band The Golden Hearted Whores are performing with Bitter Valentines, Hot Fruit, and Stretchmark. Call 816-421-1634 for showtimes. For an alternative rock and roll experience. :-D

Other places nearby on Union Hill (south of Crown Center where the tall TV tower is) are:

The Empire Room, 334 E. 31st Street (east of Main St. past the tall TV tower).
The Velvet Dog, 400 E. 31st Street. Both are open until 3 am.
There is no fifth destination.
PowderBlue
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Thanks Fang

Post by PowderBlue »

I actually found Metamorphoses on google about ten minutes after I posted my original comment on here. I read it in college and loved it, so I'm stoked to see it here. It closes on the 15th, so I'm glad I saw it in time.

But thanks for the rundown of all the local theatres. I might see Caligula later, but I thought it might be kind of a downer for Valentine's Day.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. I need to pick up Pitch more often.