Buying a Condo in Downtown KC!

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Buying a Condo in Downtown KC!

Post by grecobs »

Hi All --

I am in the process of buying a condo in downtown KCMO at 7th and Broadway. Can you folks suggest some cool things to do around the area?

Thanks!
Gregory
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Buying a Condo in Downtown KC!

Post by flyingember »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Milwaukee Deli for pizza and beer. (9th & Baltimore)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.scratchbakerykc.com/
http://www.sashasbakingco.com/

you'll also be a short walk from the north loop streetcar stop, which will open up the rest of greater downtown to you. there's also a bike share station at 8th & broadway.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Definitely hit up the City Market on the weekend over lunch time. The Phoenix is right around the corner from you and a must try for live jazz and atmosphere. Actually, the kiosks along the streetcar line are also a pretty good resource. I suggest trying them out.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I saw this article in the Star this morning regarding Millennials in KC preferring to buy in the burbs and not the KC urban core.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/co ... 31699.html

As someone who has kept their eye on the KC condo and urban home market for the last few years with the hopes of buying a retirement home, I have been a little disappointed by the available stock (condos or SF homes). KC has added a phenomenal number of apartments over a relatively short time span. The condo and urban home market has been much less dynamic. What I have seen has been prohibitively expensive or not in an area I would want to buy. We will be plus 60 when we return to KC and not all that willing to locate on the periphery of gentrified areas so I understand the cost will always be higher in well established areas - but so little is available. I can imagine this would be more of a problem for millennials contemplating starting a family and with even less money to spend. I wonder that if there was more available stock and a larger established community of ownership downtown and in the core, if there would be more millenials willing to buy? Right now, the only neighborhood we would buy a SF home in the core (north of wesport) would be Valentine or Union Hill.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

That "study" is bogus.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Downtown's average age is 36.1 according to last downtown report in 2015...
http://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content/up ... tation.pdf

That's probably higher than other downtowns but not a bad thing. The difference between housing costs between downtown KC and rest of metro is likely more than in larger more expensive metros.

edit: Downtown Denver avg age is 33. Downtown Chicago River North is about 33. There are a lot of millennials in suburbs of all major cities, but it could be a bit higher in KC. Not a big deal. What's important is downtown momentum no matter the demographics and KC seems to have that.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I also think the general thought is that some portion of these apartments may eventually go condo (hopefully when you retire!).

Easier to finance on the front end.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Thought I read all of the Cordish Light buildings are planned to convert to condo when market conditions are right. Incorrect?

That is the plan with many hirise developers across the country.

For now, The Plaza is the most robust condo market, but in time would think condos increase downtown.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

BTW, Epoch offers for-sale residences in the RiverMarket. We do believe the rental market is saturated and are not afraid to sell. All of our apartments were condo'd 10 yrs ago and selectively selling plus new 6 new townhomes on Wyandotte due out of the oven in 2018.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ToDactivist wrote:BTW, Epoch offers for-sale residences in the RiverMarket. We do believe the rental market is saturated and are not afraid to sell. All of our apartments were condo'd 10 yrs ago and selectively selling plus new 6 new townhomes on Wyandotte due out of the oven in 2018.
hoping for some info on these sooooon!!!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:
ToDactivist wrote:BTW, Epoch offers for-sale residences in the RiverMarket. We do believe the rental market is saturated and are not afraid to sell. All of our apartments were condo'd 10 yrs ago and selectively selling plus new 6 new townhomes on Wyandotte due out of the oven in 2018.
hoping for some info on these sooooon!!!
Also very interested in these townhomes! As I've said before, I'm curious if the layouts will differ from the others. I feel like for families (if that's one goal), the second bedroom on the ground floor and the master on the 3rd floor is not ideal. Otherwise, the finishes are nice and the rooftop access is great.