Dog problems in apartment elevators.

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Dog problems in apartment elevators.

Post by moderne »

Anyone with tales of situations. Any solutions? Really tired of the scent of dog piss, makes me feel like I am paying big buck to live in the projects.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Dog problems in apartment elevators.

Post by taxi »

That's a slippery slope. Once a bad dog pees in there, even good dogs will want to mark it. Since they live there, it is very territorial. If you're in a condo, I would approach the board and assess an extra fee to dog owners to have the elevator cleaned daily. And it's important to use an odor neutralizer, like Nature's Miracle.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

To me, this is something that buildings that allow dogs need to account for. The cleaning idea makes is absolutely the best solution.

I don't know that it has to be cleaned daily as a matter of course, but a priority cleaning policy should be. Notice a problem and report it? They clean it the same day upon report, no questions asked.

You can make it be about strong and noxious odors in general too. Like someone getting sick, a package breaks and leaks something like raw fish juice, strong perfume spills, etc.

This is why I'm not against elevators only having tile floors and smooth walls. And corridors should think about the same thing.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Bottom line....it is the responsibility of the dog owners to clean behind their animals.

Flyingember....clean it on report?

You're assuming there is a staff of housekeepers? That may be true once One Light opens, but the average building is set to perhaps handle emergency calls for a cleaning disaster and JoJo taking a leak does not qualify. It just becomes a nuisance to the other tenants who are your neighbors.

If the individual owners do not take care of their pets accidents themselves, that is the path that turns buildings into dog free zones.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

#TeamCat
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

This is rich.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Are you sure it's a dog, and not one of your neighbors!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Have a HOA rule that dogs wear a diaper when in the common areas. And yes there are diapers for dogs.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It is stated in our lease that pets are not allowed in elevators and must use the stairs. All management will do is send out e-mails to tenants reminding them of the rule. This is promptly ignored by some. Figures, the majority of tenants are medical students, future doctors that rules for mere mortals do not apply.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

This thread reminds me of how embarrassing it was last year when I still lived in my loft and my new puppy got very sick for 3 weeks. Usually I was able to get her outside in time, but sometimes she wouldn't make it and would unload her bowels of foul brown spray in the corridor, elevator, or stairwell. And there I would be, stuck with an armload of leaky dog that still needed to get outside to finish the job, and inevitably someone would either walk through or, worse yet, call the elevator before I could rush back inside to get all of the cleaning supplies.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

This is an old thread but my wife and I have been discussing the issue quite a bit lately. Anticipating an end to my career in the not too distant future, we looked in KC at condos all over downtown and crossroads while in town a few weeks ago. We quickly realized that if we wanted a dog, we better get it now and potty train it because it would be a difficult task once in a condo. To train a dog to get into the elevator and out to the street and somehow hold it all the way there I think would be a very difficult task. We were particularly interested in condos with some kind of balcony. I was surprised that very few exist but that I guess is attributed to the fact that most condos are not built for purpose. We felt it critical to maintain at least some semblance of an immediate connection to the outdoors and I think the balcony could also be a stopgap aid in potty training.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Highlander wrote:This is an old thread but my wife and I have been discussing the issue quite a bit lately. Anticipating an end to my career in the not too distant future, we looked in KC at condos all over downtown and crossroads while in town a few weeks ago. We quickly realized that if we wanted a dog, we better get it now and potty train it because it would be a difficult task once in a condo. To train a dog to get into the elevator and out to the street and somehow hold it all the way there I think would be a very difficult task. We were particularly interested in condos with some kind of balcony. I was surprised that very few exist but that I guess is attributed to the fact that most condos are not built for purpose. We felt it critical to maintain at least some semblance of an immediate connection to the outdoors and I think the balcony could also be a stopgap aid in potty training.
Most dogs don't want to relieve themselves inside. It usually is the result of the dog owner waiting too long to give the dog a walk. Of course dogs who are ill and older animals have other issues, which must be dealt with by the owner.

Condo's with balconies are few in KC. I anticipate more will be coming along, if the financial community will get its act together and start providing reasonable purchaser lending options for condominiums and shared wall developments.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"if the financial community will get its act together"

Don't want to sound too political here but many banker/financial types do blame new regulations for their lack of taking, what would be called in earlier times, reasonable chances on real estate or making loans in general. Think I remember the term "risk adversity" being used.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I went through this very experience a couple of years ago and I quickly learned that they key is to carry the puppy in your arms until you are completely outside. Otherwise they can get confused and think that just passing through a door is the signal that it's okay to go. And take some paper towels with you every time because accidents are inevitable.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Please don't let your dog pee on the balcony. People live below you! People above me did this (our balcony has wood planks). Of course they had dog not registered to avoid extra fees and rent and my complaints to management got them caught. It was not nice to have dog pee-cicles hanging down in the winter and I had to often bleach down patio furniture and toss out the rug.