Urban Living Pet Peeves

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
ThorsteinVeblen
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Urban Living Pet Peeves

Postby ThorsteinVeblen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:19 pm

BobbyHawks,

I would suggest you get one of these...

https://www.contech-inc.com/products/ho ... -deterrent

Cats don't like water. Works on pretty much anything you can image...don't know if it works on Yeti's though.

Or this can be used against Cats only.

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CatStop-U ... B0001A9TE2

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby bobbyhawks » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:39 am

Ha. I'm not sure I want for all of my guests and the postman to get doused every time they try to ring my doorbell, but thanks! I don't really have a front yard... hence Urban Living "pet" peeves. Close proximity makes some of the traditional methods difficult. I think an ultrasonic anything would have my neighbors' animals in fits. Key #1 would be to get my neighbor to stop feeding all of the feral and non-feral cats outside (and the raccoons, and possums, and groundhogs). I live just a few blocks from the Kauffman Center, yet I have more wildlife at my house than I ever had in the more remote suburbs. I'm not sure I even count as "urban living," but I live closer to the CBD than many who do. They just don't have to deal with snakes.

chingon
Hotel President
Hotel President

Postby chingon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:49 am

bobbyhawks wrote:
cknab1 wrote:Cats, that's funny.

If anyone knows of a way to keep cats off your front porch that does not involve a bb gun, I am all ears. Cat Scram did pretty much nothing but make my garden smell like a different type of urine. I'm allergic and can't keep them off my porch furniture. I guess the neighborhood cats are the "kids on my lawn."

Can you just screen it in?

Also, pellet gun. Also, terrier or other dog species with high prey drive. Also, trap. Also, kick them.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby bobbyhawks » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:36 am

chingon wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
cknab1 wrote:Cats, that's funny.

If anyone knows of a way to keep cats off your front porch that does not involve a bb gun, I am all ears. Cat Scram did pretty much nothing but make my garden smell like a different type of urine. I'm allergic and can't keep them off my porch furniture. I guess the neighborhood cats are the "kids on my lawn."

Can you just screen it in?

Also, pellet gun. Also, terrier or other dog species with high prey drive. Also, trap. Also, kick them.

I do chase them away. Unfortunately, my porch is up a flight of stairs, and when it is dark outside, I occasionally get a flying cat streaking past my face. The cats scatter when the see or hear me, but the hours of soaking cat saliva and urine into my deck furniture have already taken their toll. At the moment, I just have a second set of cusions, but I'd like to never see a cat again up there. Screening is a great suggestion, but I think my house would look crappy with a screened front porch.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:56 am

bobbyhawks wrote:Screening is a great suggestion, but I think my house would look crappy with a screened front porch.

http://www.screenedinporches.org/screen ... ch-design/
The ones I like you focus on the woodwork, not the actual screen.

There's also colored screens to add character. A bronze screen could reflect light in a cool way.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Window ... 5yc1vZarpf

Eon Blue
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby Eon Blue » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:10 pm

1. Buy a hazmat suit.

2. Identify the most territorial cat of all of them.

3. Befriend it with lots of food, maybe some catnip and affection from friends.

4. Repeat #3 as necessary.

5. Voila! You now have just one cat to deal with and it will chase all of the others off. You're welcome. :D

Return to “Urban Living”