New 2010 Census Mapping

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

New 2010 Census Mapping

Post by chingon »

Here's a nugget for the demograph-nerd in all of us:

http://bmander.com/dotmap/index.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New 2010 Census Mapping

Post by earthling »

I've seen this but not original source. One dot for every person. Can see lots of detail zooming in.

KC Metro..

Downtown to Plaza

Downtown to NE Side (not sure if I have it labeled exactly right)

Midtown/Plaza - Stl. Lukes and KU Med sure eat up a lot of space, more than Plaza.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: New 2010 Census Mapping

Post by Eon Blue »

These are very fascinating to me. Looking at them, it shows how the Johnson County suburbs appear to be the natural extension of the south part of the city, channeled that way by the very real geographic boundaries of the Kaw Valley and the Blue River Valley. It's a shame that an imaginary line causes so much heartache amidst something that is really no different than any other city. It also drives home the idea that the Northland can feel disconnected from the rest of the City and how places like Lee's Summit or Blue Springs seem to be their own islands.

It's fascinating how you can still identify major thoroughfares and railroad tracks by the lack of residential around them. I-35 south is especially prominent thanks to the parallel BNSF tracks and all of the industrial parcels. The KCT tracks going east out of Union Station are also highly visible, too. I-29 and I-435 south are also discernible.