Downtown for Retirees?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Downtown for Retirees?

Post by Highlander »

We all know the urban core is great for young people. How about retirees? Where would you want to live in the core (or would you?) if you were considering retiring in the not-to-distant future. As someone in their 50's and not wanting to stay where I currently live, the idea of retirement isn't as odious as it was a few years back. I've got a few years to wait still but thought about starting to look for ideas around KC over Christmas. Don't want a place I have to hassle with but rather an established neighborhood not far from DT or CC. I was thinking Union Hill maybe. I am not plugged into any KC residential chatter other than this forum.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown for Retirees?

Post by mgh7676 »

I have quite a ways to go before even thinking about retiring, but I do see some retirees in the Quality Hill neighborhood.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

The Plaza appartment buildings are full of retirees.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

From what I can tell downtown tends to lean towards under 35-40 condo buyers with some exceptions. Plaza hirises tend to attract over 35 for condos, especially retirees wanting full service condos with doorman, elevator living and other services. Downtown has several but Plaza has more full service buildings. Gut says % wise, Plaza has more upper income retirees, downtown has more moderate to lower relatively speaking.

With the streetcar apparently coming downtown, if more downtown condos provide full service with doorman, it might attract more retirees.

Plaza has the retail edge for now and touristy/upscale restaurants if into that but Downtown has a lot more variety with an actual market in the center, broader range of eats and cultural activities that Plaza doesn't have. Plaza consistently has daily/nightly foot traffic, downtown nightly foot traffic mostly tends to be when there are events. May depend on if you want shopping or basic amenities w/in walking distance. MAX bus connects the two and run often so it may not matter.
Last edited by earthling on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I've never lived on the plaza, but as far as I can tell...there really aren't many basic amenities for actually living there.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, the lack of a market/drugstore directly on Plaza is really its only drawback - have to drive or cab to Westport or Brookside markets. Both have Costco within about same distance to midtown. Downtown only has one in center although there is also City Market and all of those Asian markets, which I shop at more than avg grocery store. If I lived downtown and retired it would be River Market as I'm in the Asian markets nearly every weekend anyway - and there are better ethnic eats that P&L lacks. Plaza has Westport/w39th ethnic/urbane eats nearby. Downtown urbane/etnic eats are mostly Xroads/RM and W Side. Plaza probably beats P&L in touristy/upscale eats if into that.

For retirees who drive and will drive to the market anyway, all of this is moot and living in either area would be doable. It's the building amenities itself that may matter more. You can't really lose with either area. Go for the building that meets your needs (and is well maintained). There's another thread on picking a well maintained condo building...

http://forum.kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 0&p=490531
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Highlander wrote:We all know the urban core is great for young people. How about retirees? Where would you want to live in the core (or would you?)
Yes, I am a suburban retiree and have no desire to live in the urban core. But if I were to go back into the city my choices would be

1. Martin City area
2. Brookside area
3. Plaza area

Downtown has some appeal for an occasional visit to an event but I go with the saying "It is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there." North of the river also has some appeal but I have been south of the river since 1957 and am just comfortable there.

As long as I or my wife can drive I picture us living in a stand alone house. If we got to the point of losing that mobility then I would picture us in a suburban senior living community. The only exception I would see is if we became snowbirds. Would find a nice duplex or apartment somewhere to have a base or roots, or a house near my daughter so she can keep an eye on it.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Did you mean to type Martin City? It's at 135th and Holmes -- not the urban core by any stretch.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Likely no surprise that I would promote the River Market, but it seems to me to be a valuable option, especially with the already mentioned street car deployment.

River Market already has a pretty significant over 60 poplulation. The neighborhood is in many ways a small town on the edge of downtown.

I can't think of anywhere in KC that I would elect to spend golden years. I'd a lot rather sit in the park watching the twenty something walk her golden retriever, than to observe Ms. Smythe strolling her shitsu on 47th street.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

We moved to Santa Fe Place ( Crown Center) in 2001. After they went condo, we brought a corner unit in 2005. We started getting some grandchildren over the last couple years and thought about moving to a house in midtown so we would have more space. But after we looked around and examined our current lifestyle we came to the conclusion that this is the place for us. It’s so nice to simply lock our door and go on long trips without any worry. And even though we turned 60 this past year :D , we can still walk to the Crossroads and be regulars at all the great local places there. In nice weather we walk to the City Market or the Plaza and take the Max back home. And the streetcar is just going to make life that much better as expands. We have all the fun activities for the little ones, Crown Center itself, Sea life, Lego Land, Mayor’s Christmas tree, The Coterie, etc. We find it fun to see the school groups, different convention people, and others pass thru.

So for us this is the perfect place both to live now and when we retire.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^My condo building is about half retirees. A couple who came in from the burbs mentioned regretting not downsizing to condo lifestyle as soon as the kids left. It's easier not to have to take care of property, nicer to have things to do outside your door, lock and leave and have things like doorman, drycleaning, package handling and other services. Elevator living alone is a big deal as people get older. Many consider condo living a major lifestyle upgrade depending on amenities and if in right location - the park is your backyard, the coffeshop is your patio, the bookstore is your den.
Last edited by earthling on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

earthling wrote:package handling services.
\:D/
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

chrizow wrote:
I thought those mainly available in Overland Park. Dual service from the in home Asian massage companies.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

chrizow wrote:
^That too. There are some frisky old ladies in my building. I was once waiting for elevator and hear, 'look, it's that nice young man'. They pulled me into their chocolate party with cheap wine. They were smashed, pulling me in directions with arms wrapped around mine, schmoozing me, a bit of sloppy groping. Was amusing.

One sexagenarian called me to fix her computer problem. I knocked on door and she is in lingerie. She unplugged her cable from modem. I 'fixed' it and quickly left before giving her a chance to hit. Weeks later, we we had a 2am fire alarm. I'm out in front of building and see an old man I know from a diner in a scrumpled open tux, disheveled head - he doesn't live in the building. I was about to ask hey, what are you doing.... then the cableless modem woman walks up.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

heatherkay wrote:Did you mean to type Martin City? It's at 135th and Holmes -- not the urban core by any stretch.
Yes. Living in the city's core has no appeal to either my wife or I. Mentioned Brookside and the Plaza as an outside chance of happening but a chance of that happening would be one in a million.
But at 135th and Holmes there is a neighborhood that is close to what my wife and I prefer.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
heatherkay wrote:Did you mean to type Martin City? It's at 135th and Holmes -- not the urban core by any stretch.
Yes. Living in the city's core has no appeal to either my wife or I. Mentioned Brookside and the Plaza as an outside chance of happening but a chance of that happening would be one in a million.
But at 135th and Holmes there is a neighborhood that is close to what my wife and I prefer.
I think the confusion (mine, certainly) was in what sense that is "back into the city." Though I guess I don't know where you live right now.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
Well, that's a relative thing. KC's urban core is so easy that I find it very inviting even as someone who will be retiring in 5 years or so and would live there pretty much as a geezer among they youth. Houston is such a pain in the ass in every way that I don't want any part of the burbs, or for that matter, the city. Kansas Citians don't realize how good they have it. I relish the thought of life in Union or Quality Hill or the River Market or even the Plaza although the former hold more appeal to me.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

AJoD wrote:
I think the confusion (mine, certainly) was in what sense that is "back into the city." Though I guess I don't know where you live right now.
He just meant back in the city limits. AKP lived in KCMO city limits when he was employed here, then moved to a suburb when he retired.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

chingon wrote:
AJoD wrote: AKP lived in KCMO city limits when he was employed here, then moved to a suburb when he retired.
Well, it did take us 7 years after my retirement to move. Had to find the right house and so on. We were in no particular rush, wanted it right instead of rushing it. Enjoyed south KC while living there. Just minutes from 435 and therefore could reach just about anywhere in the metro in 30 minutes or so. We are no futher out but for most of what we want we are closer.
South KC was about as urban as we wanted to be.

Life is full of people with many different, varied interests. What works for one doesn't always work for another.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

As someone who lived in a doorman building with an elevator in New York City, I can highly recommend the lifestyle if you can afford it.

No one comes to your apartment door without the doorman buzzing you to get permission. Packages are accepted and kept in supervised room. No solicitors knocking at your door. No criminals pretending to be cops or utility staff wanting to rob you. Drop trash down a shoot.

You can go on trips for two or three weeks, and not worry about burglars, or you yard needing mowed, or snow scooped.

I would think this lifestyle would appeal to a lot of seniors especially since there would be a grocery and drug store in walking distance, theaters, and the public library. It's on the bus line, and perhaps in the future, the free streetcar line.

In NYC, most restaurants, drug stores, and groceries deliver. In fact, you can get practically anything delivered. Many seniors living in NYC can stay in their apartments and condos a lot longer for these reasons. If you wanted to, you could literally never leave your apartment unless you had to go for medical care.

I remember reading about some rich old spinster lady who didn't leave her apartment for years. Her attorneys, bankers, doctors, etc. all came to her.