A good suit

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A good suit

Post by KCMax »

smh wrote:
KCMax wrote:Thanks for the advice. I've heard bad things about Jos A. Bank. Will try BB Outlet and J. Crew, maybe hit up Nordstrom's or Macy's.
What bad things about Jos. A Banks? I've bought suits there in the past, but I've considered moving on. Anything in particular cause concern?
I had heard they were priced wrong for the quality they offer. Too expensive for suits that are not high standard.

I have no idea. I'm guessing I should steer clear of a Men's Warehouse?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCMax wrote:
smh wrote:
KCMax wrote:Thanks for the advice. I've heard bad things about Jos A. Bank. Will try BB Outlet and J. Crew, maybe hit up Nordstrom's or Macy's.
What bad things about Jos. A Banks? I've bought suits there in the past, but I've considered moving on. Anything in particular cause concern?
I had heard they were priced wrong for the quality they offer. Too expensive for suits that are not high standard.

I have no idea. I'm guessing I should steer clear of a Men's Warehouse?
I only shopped at Mens Wearhouse a couple of times in college. I did find their quality to be lacking.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I went with Slabotsky's for our wedding suits. We had 4 total: myself, two friends in the party and my father in law. We had a little bit of trouble getting things right for my FiL, but the other three went just fine. Reasonably priced, too and he was very accommodating. I'll go back next time I need one. Downtown + locally owned were big pluses.

My dad got a suit for the wedding at Men's Warehouse. He got fitted and picked the style at a location out of the metro and arranged for pickup here. For some reason they told him his options were Independence or OP, which was weird since I noticed maybe half a dozen more locations after that. Maybe those are the only two that do tailoring?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FWIW, I found some really good deals at the J Crew outlet at Legends. So thanks everyone.
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

here is a good resource for men. focus is really on trad clothing but these guys know their stuff, the forum is full of information on sales, bespoke clothing, which brands to go for at Jos A Banks (to be fair, they are not generally fans of most of their stuff), Brooks Brothers, etc. You can also learn a lot about what to look for in suit construction, fabrics, etc.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/foru ... 466d5f0d72

That forum also recommends a local shop, Rick's, which does alterations and tailoring: http://www.rickskansascity.com/

My husband purchased one suit from Jos A Banks (downtown) when they had some big sale going on and he likes it. He also has a pair of pants and sport jacket from Michael's downtown. That place has excellent customer service, just incredible.

His next suit will come from Brooks Brothers, when they have one of their good sales.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

KCPowercat wrote:Anybody have any luck at Slabotsky & Sons or Michaels? Jos A. Bank scares me.
I buy all of my clothes at Michaels - won't go anywhere else - local retailer, been in business >100 years. Service is great - find a salesman you like and stick with him. Don't know what price range you are looking for, but Michael's carries all price ranges - off the rack sales with fitting for $400, to $2500 custom suits made to measure in Italian and British fabrics.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

kclofter wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Anybody have any luck at Slabotsky & Sons or Michaels? Jos A. Bank scares me.
I buy all of my clothes at Michaels - won't go anywhere else - local retailer, been in business >100 years. Service is great - find a salesman you like and stick with him. Don't know what price range you are looking for, but Michael's carries all price ranges - off the rack sales with fitting for $400, to $2500 custom suits made to measure in Italian and British fabrics.
I just did this. You were 100% right. I'll never go anywhere else again.