Real estate attorney suggestions/ other advice appreciated

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
KSTHANE
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Real estate attorney suggestions/ other advice appreciated

Post by KSTHANE »

My wife and I are planning on making a purchase offer for a home that we are currently renting. Since we are not using an agent and this is our first home we need a real estate attorney. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, any advice on what we should do prior to purchasing the home? It's an old home built in 1928 so during the inspection we're definitely going to have them check the wiring, and certain things about the roof. We're also going to request a one year home warranty and have them put storm windows on all of our front facing windows that don't currently have them. I assume most of these bits of information would be relayed to the attorney who would put them into the contract, but I don't know what other contractual standards exist.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Real estate attorney suggestions/ other advice appreciat

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Go ahead and contact an agent. An agent can act as your rep during the process. Just have to negotiate a fee, which you would be paying a lawyer anyway.

Interview a few to see which one would be the best fit. The agent should also be able to tell you want to look for and need to do with an older home.
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by studentper »

based on experience, the real estate agent will try to insert language absolving him/her of all liability for anything that goes wrong into both your contract with him/her and the sales contract.

i don't know a good real estate attorney--sorry.
johnathon
Surface Lot

Post by johnathon »

If you are newbie in the real estate or any other business then it is necessary to avoid too much investment initially as there are more risk for you in the business because you have less experience and knowledge about it.
johnathon
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

johnathon is obviously a very wise spam bot. Woe be to those that do not heed his advice!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I've never seen "risk" used in the plural.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I'd also recommend that you look for an inspector that can also do an asbestos and lead-based paint survey.