Need Help

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
redperro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Need Help

Post by redperro »

Hello kc raggers or kay cee raggaz, i'm come to view this site as a resource, and this being the internet an open ended resource, so i have a real pickle that has me confounded,looking at some of you rehabbers and devolopers to aide me

what is the first step to rehab a basement living space...... the lights come on in most places, a bathroom with no running water, some drywall and board is still intact from when people last lived down there,

what can some of yall recommend i take on this project??
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Need Help

Post by grovester »

If you're framed with power and plumbing the hard parts done.  Everything else is cosemetic.  I should note that basement living spaces are supposed to have 2 areas of egress, so you don't get trapped down there in an emergency.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

redperro wrote: some drywall and board is still intact from when people last lived down there
How much is "some"? I ask because the first thing to do is determine whether water ever gets into the space. Stains on the drywall obviously are one way to tell. Depending on the condition of the space, the project budget and the amount of existing drywall, I'd be tempted to rip out the drywall so I could make the foundation as water-tight as possible.

That also would be the time to insulate any pipes that will be behind walls and above ceilings once the space is finished. Pipe insulation is cheap insurance and well worth it because some weird things can happen over time. For example, I had a stoop settle and, because of the way it was attached to the house, pull back the bottom course of siding about an inch. That was just enough space to allow cold air to get in to what had been a heated space and burst a pipe in the finished basement. Worse, although the pipe burst near the foundation wall, the water followed the stud bays to the middle of the living space, where the ceiling had a slightly low spot, spreading the damage.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Depending on time, money, effort, and what the finished space would be should determine the approach.  However, since you do not know of the expertise, or lack thereof, of the people who finished the basement beforehand I would take down all drywall.  That would let you see how the wiring was done and the condition of the plumbing. Also you could inspect the walls to make sure they are dry and if there is any mold or mildew.  If studs are against the walls then it would be a good time to install installation to help keep the room(s) warm.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:   However, since you do not know of the expertise, or lack thereof, of the people who finished the basement beforehand I would take down all drywall.  That would let you see how the wiring was done and the condition of the plumbing. Also you could inspect the walls to make sure they are dry and if there is any mold or mildew.  If studs are against the walls then it would be a good time to install installation to help keep the room(s) warm.
Absolutely good advice.  There is no way to know if the plumbing/electrical work was of the 'quick and dirty' variety.  You really do need to be sure it's up to code.  I'm moving to a new place and the guy who is doing the rehab had to re-do the plumbing under the kitchen sink because it was done wrong. 

Depending on how much you plan to do yourself, good home repair books are really helpful. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

I like to watch the Mike Holmes programs on HGTV and there is another one about fixing up basements for rentals.  It is amazing what they find once the project starts.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Depending on how much drywall is involved, it would be better to have an electrician check it out.  They can find out a lot without actually seeing the wiring.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

grovester wrote: Depending on how much drywall is involved, it would be better to have an electrician check it out.  They can find out a lot without actually seeing the wiring.
Not really.  You don't know about such things as junction boxes behind drywall, using tape for joining wires, and many other things along with the condition of the wiring.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Actually, they can tell if those things are present with various testers.