Tips for a new River Market dweller

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
smh
Supporter

Tips for a new River Market dweller

Post by smh »

I'll be moving to the River Market in about a week. Would anyone care to share their insider knowledge of the neighborhood highlights, annoyances, the trail, restaurants, bars, etc.? I'm a huge fan of the neighborhood and am really looking forward to becoming a part of it. Wondering what I need to be certain to experience and enjoy, and what I need to watch out for and avoid.

Thanks!
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Tips for a new River Market dweller

Post by scooterj »

I'm in my 8th year of living here and I honestly can't think of anything to put on the "avoid" list currently.  I like each and every restaurant and each and every bar.  I like both coffee shops.  I love the farmer's market.  I love the Chinatown Market.

My only gripes are with the idiots who illegally let their dogs run loose in City Market Park, monopolizing it and making it unsafe for me to walk my own dog there.  (These are generally the same people who don't clean up after their dogs despite the two bins and rolls of bags in the park.)

Crime is extremely rare and usually involves clueless people who leave laptops visible in the back seat of their car.    What little crime is left outside of that is mostly confined to a handful of troublemakers at Askew Saddlery and Cold Storage. 

One handy tip:  If the building you will live in doesn't  have a garage, pay attention to the summer concert schedule.  It's usually best to avoid using your car on a concert night unless you don't plan on being home until after midnight.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

scooterj wrote: I'm in my 8th year of living here and I honestly can't think of anything to put on the "avoid" list currently.   I like each and every restaurant and each and every bar.   I like both coffee shops.   I love the farmer's market.  I love the Chinatown Market.

My only gripes are with the idiots who illegally let their dogs run loose in City Market Park, monopolizing it and making it unsafe for me to walk my own dog there.  (These are generally the same people who don't clean up after their dogs despite the two bins and rolls of bags in the park.)

Crime is extremely rare and usually involves clueless people who leave laptops visible in the back seat of their car.     What little crime is left outside of that is mostly confined to a handful of troublemakers at Askew Saddlery and Cold Storage.   

One handy tip:   If the building you will live in doesn't  have a garage, pay attention to the summer concert schedule.   It's usually best to avoid using your car on a concert night unless you don't plan on being home until after midnight.
Great information, thanks! I am anxious to experience the first "concert night" I anticipated just what you describe. Should make for an interesting evening.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

scooterj wrote:

One handy tip:   If the building you will live in doesn't  have a garage, pay attention to the summer concert schedule.   It's usually best to avoid using your car on a concert night unless you don't plan on being home until after midnight.
I've always assumed that the concert series was one of the few downsides to living in the Market.
How loud and/or obnoxious are they?
RiverMarketDweller
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by RiverMarketDweller »

I live east of the market and can see the audience, but I cannot hear the music if the windows are closed and barely if open. Can't speak for those to the west.  People drinking after the concert used to be a problem making noise and peeing on buildings.

Double points at Harry's on Tuesdays and a fine happy hour menu at Bo Lings on Sunday.

Walking down along the river in Berkley Park is great.

Sunsets on your building roof or at 4th and Beardsley Rd.

The farmers market before 8 am for great photography options and best picks of the veggies.

Al-habashi Mart for spices and unique foods and Habashi House and a tasty falafal.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I know a lot of people living in the RM and they universally love it.  I'll channel some of their observations and blend in a couple of my own.

The concerts are part of the fun of being down there.  Scoots observation about not giving up your parking spot is right on.  When the audience hits 9,000/10,000, that translates into every spot in the neighborhood (plus) being taken.  The concert crowds can be pretty entertaining too, as they make their way to and from the market. 

Every restaurant in the RM has its pluses and its devotees, (except maybe Winslow's BBQ, which has been under new ownership for several months....anyone been there and care to comment?).  I try to make the rounds of everyplace, except the diner at 3rd & Grand, which people on this forum say it has greatly improved....I guess I need to give them another chance.  Favorites?...depends on the day, but that's a part of the specialness of the neighborhood.  You've got a lot of great options around you.

I don't live in the hood, but I did years ago and I'm down there a lot.  I really love the small town feel of the RM.  People out for walks, runs, bike rides, or just chilling on a bench.  You go throughout the neighborhood and you start to know people everywhere you go, but it's never just the same old faces, there's always a blend of new people to the area, too.

I also agree strongly with Scoots note about not leaving valuables out in your car.  There's almost never a crime of significance in the River Market, but the petty theives all around town really will pop your window out for a handful of change, or something better.  It amazes me, as I walk through parking lots downtown, how often I see digital cameras, GIS's, purses, briefcases, out in plain sight.  The stupidity of others turns me into a raging fool, (my own stupidity keeps me entertained).

One last note, if you're not familiar with the RiverMarket Antique Mall, check it out on one of these scorching afternoons.  I don't go there that often, but when I do, I am always amazed at the vast and ever-changing inventory of STUFF.  It's the best damn garage sale I have ever seen.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Oh yeah, and try to check out the outdoor movies at the City Market on some Friday nites of summer.  I think their last one this season will again be Rocky Horror, and they had about 800 people attend last year and it was awesome stupid.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

mudjack wrote: I've always assumed that the concert series was one of the few downsides to living in the Market.
How loud and/or obnoxious are they?
I live a block northwest and I can rarely/barely hear the music at all when my windows are closed.    I usually hear the street noise of hundreds of cars leaving at once after the show more loudly than anything I hear of the concert itself. 

The only real obnoxiousness (other than residents not being able to park) depends on the type of crowd it draws.  Some crowds are well behaved, others stand in the street shouting "WOOOH!" after the concert is over and pee on the sidewalk in front of your building or on whatever parked car is handy.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

scooterj wrote: others stand in the street shouting "WOOOH!" after the concert is over and pee on the sidewalk in front of your building or on whatever parked car is handy.
Next time take a pic with phone and post around the Net.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

You also have some real great restaurants in the area like Garozzo's Italian and Happy Gillis.  I LOVE HAPPY GILLIS.  The meatloaf sandwich... all I gotta say.  The nice thing is you finally have a grocery store in downtown to access.  Chinatown Market is great for oriental food supplies but be forewarned it is truly modeled after many similar markets. (Meaning its not the cleanliness place)  8)
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

There are 5 or so Asian markets in the area.  Those and the city market are the reason I tend to go to RM, not so much the restaurants/bars.  Though Happy Gillis is kind of a breakfast destination.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Does anybody know anything about the 523 Grand building?  I looked at a unit there today...pretty sweet 1 bedroom, 1 full bath/1 partial bath, polished concrete floors, etc.  It looked nice and well maintained.

I have a boxer, so I'm concerned about walking space.  I'm moving from a home in Roeland Park, so I know it's going to be different (not having my own back yard).  I also looked at Freight House Lofts.  Pretty cool, but I'm concerned about the lack of green space and the noise of the trains.  Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Does anybody know anything about the 523 Grand building?  I looked at a unit there today...pretty sweet 1 bedroom, 1 full bath/1 partial bath, polished concrete floors, etc.  It looked nice and well maintained.

I have a boxer, so I'm concerned about walking space.  I'm moving from a home in Roeland Park, so I know it's going to be different (not having my own back yard).  I also looked at Freight House Lofts.  Pretty cool, but I'm concerned about the lack of green space and the noise of the trains.  Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
I've lived in the River Market for a few weeks now and I have been considerably surprised at how much is going on in the neighborhood during the day and the evening. I never expected it would be "abandoned", but it has certainly been more lively than I could have hoped. Which is great. We looked around as well both here, in the Loop, and in Crossroads. We chose the RM in large part because we can walk to work Downtown and the City Market is right there.

As far as green space, City Market Park appears to be quite popular with dog owners. It is rare to walk by and not see someone out there with their pet. Additionally, and especially now that the stifling heat has temporarily broken, it is amazing to see the number of residents out and about just before dusk walking their dogs and just generally getting some exercise. This is a very lively place and everyone is friendly. Plus with Market 3 about to open we'll soon have even more places to get groceries and odds and ends.

Good luck in your decision!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: I have a boxer, so I'm concerned about walking space.  I'm moving from a home in Roeland Park, so I know it's going to be different (not having my own back yard).  I also looked at Freight House Lofts.  Pretty cool, but I'm concerned about the lack of green space and the noise of the trains.  Any feedback would be great.
Can't speak precisely on the train noise as I am in a different but nearby neighborhood, but my house in the Westside is probably closer than 523 Grand is to the trains.  I absolutely love the sound, but I guess it depends on how light of a sleeper you are.  I only rarely notice the horn anymore, and the sound is not intrusive to movie-watching, music-listening, or book-reading.  In fact, I think it enhances the atmosphere when hanging out on a porch or balcony.  If you are overly worried, just visit the park next to City Market and read a book for an hour to see if the sound is annoying.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

bobbyhawks wrote: Can't speak precisely on the train noise as I am in a different but nearby neighborhood, but my house in the Westside is probably closer than 523 Grand is to the trains.  I absolutely love the sound, but I guess it depends on how light of a sleeper you are.  I only rarely notice the horn anymore, and the sound is not intrusive to movie-watching, music-listening, or book-reading.  In fact, I think it enhances the atmosphere when hanging out on a porch or balcony.  If you are overly worried, just visit the park next to City Market and read a book for an hour to see if the sound is annoying.
I live next to City Market Park and from this distance all you hear is the whistle, and even it isn't very loud. Occasionally you can hear what I think is the brake (sort of a metal, train-y sound). I agree that it is not intrusive at all and just adds to the ambiance of the place. It is also great fun to walk out on the Town of Kansas Bridge and see the trains go underneath.
RiverMarketDweller
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by RiverMarketDweller »

There are many dogs happily living in 523 Grand.  Harry's just wants to make sure you pick-up after your dog and maybe have their face looking at the restaurant not the other way around.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

RiverMarketDweller wrote: There are many dogs happily living in 523 Grand.  Harry's just wants to make sure you pick-up after your dog and maybe have their face looking at the restaurant not the other way around.
Good to know, thanks :).  I always pick up after my dog, even in my own back yard, so that won't be such a big deal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know someone at 523 if you have any other specific questions.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KCPowercat wrote: I know someone at 523 if you have any other specific questions.

Thanks KCP....I should know more in the next few days.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

You need to come down to the RM between 5:30 and 7:00pm, when folks are arriving home from work.  You'll observe a slew of dogs leading their owners to all the greenery to be found throughout the market.

I can't imagine you having issue with train noise at 523, as you are blocks  from the rail lines and there is topography and buildings between you and them.  Market dwellers who are in Riverbend, 1st and Main, and Market Station are far closer, and as I talk with them they seem to have no prob with rail traffic.

I know the 523 building from a construction standpoint and it should be a real positive.  Original construction was solid and the renovation was well executed.  I've not heard rumbles of concern, which after this number of years significant issues would have become visible.  Instead, what I have heard is that the owners at 523 really like the place.

Good luck!