Tips for a new River Market dweller

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Tips for a new River Market dweller

Post by FangKC »

I grew up in a small town next to a rail line. You get used to the train noise after awhile, and it becomes background music.  I remember being in bed at night when the trains came through, and my bed would shake. :D
There is no fifth destination.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

my friend lives at market station, about 100 feet from the train tracks.  it's pretty loud when a train goes by, but it's not that bad.  she is probably the closest unit in KC to such tracks.  it's not like in "the blues brothers" when the El goes by every 15 seconds and shakes the entire apartment.  523 should be totally fine.  if anything the hum from I-70 during rush hour will be more bothersome than trains.  when i lived at the atriums at 6th and Central, the rush hour traffic on I-70 was really loud if i had the windows open - but it was still kind of awesome.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Yeah I wasn't concerned about train noise at 523 grand, but at the Freighhouse Flats.  The unit I looked at there faced Union Station, but unfortunately no trains went by when I was there.  Although it seems cool to look out your windows and see trains rumbling by.  8)
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Yeah I wasn't concerned about train noise at 523 grand, but at the Freighhouse Flats.  The unit I looked at there faced Union Station, but unfortunately no trains went by when I was there.  Although it seems cool to look out your windows and see trains rumbling by.  8)
So did you end up moving to the RM? I have lived at 523 since the condo conversion in 06 and love it. 
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I did. Moved to Riverbend last Augus--this neighborhood is fantastic.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote: I did. Moved to Riverbend last Augus--this neighborhood is fantastic.
Curious to hear from you RM newbies some of your wishes for the neighborhood.

What's missing....?