HVAC installers who know condos

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

HVAC installers who know condos

Post by KCPowercat »

anybody have a recommendation for an a/c company that can figure out smaller units?  I'm trying to get mine replaced and cash in on the tax credit and every installer I have come out is dumbfounded by the size and space requirements of a condo.

thanks.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: HVAC installers who know condos

Post by DaveKCMO »

we use Environmental Mechanical, but they are expensive. they do the work right, however, and quickly.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

While we're on the topic, are there any fancy technologies to limit noise in this small space installs? My HVAC is loud, to the point that it interrupts movies and music, when it kicks on. Between the baffles and the blower motor in the closet, it is unacceptably disruptive. My system is about 13-14 years old, so it is time to start thinking replacement, but I want to see some efficiency and noise improvements.
Last edited by staubio on Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Perhaps some sound proofing and weather seals on the closet door?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

variable speed blowers maybe?

issue I'm running into is my space is too tight for almost any hvac tha qualifies for the tax credit (ie. High efficiency)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

staubio wrote: While we're on the topic, are there any fancy technologies to limit noise in this small space installs? My HVAC is loud, to the point that it interrupts movies and music, which it kicks on. Between the baffles and the blower motor in the closet, it is unacceptably disruptive. My system is about 13-14 years old, so it is time to start thinking replacement, but I want to see some efficiency and noise improvements.
i have considered that sound baffling foam they put in studios. my HVAC closet is a bit precarious because there is no vent... the intake is the crack under the door (so no weatherproofing under it). i suppose they got around this by leaving the ceiling open.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

ABMay installed two Trane XL14 Weathertron Heat Pumps when we did our condo conversion.  There was much discussion between us, our general contractor, ABMay and the manufacturer's district manager when trying to decide on the size of the system. Granted it was a complete renovation with complex heating/cooling loads given a southern exposed 14x18 foot skylight, but we've been happy with the system now for nearly 3 years.  Word of warning: there's a tendency by installers to err on too much rather than too little (also means more $$, so their incentives are not necessarily aligned with yours).  The variable speed blowers are nice - even w/o the compressor running, they move air well and the units are quiet.