Friend seeks place.

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Friend seeks place.

Post by mean »

I realize this kind of crap gets posted a lot, sorry. I'm pretty far out of the loop as far as new developments and renovations and so forth, but if anyone has any ideas, preferences are:

* RCP. Closer to MAX is better; downtown preferred, midtown and plaza are fine.
* Hardwood or sealed concrete. No carpet.
* Gas stove preferred.
* 700-1200 sqft.
* Central air and heat preferred.
* Prefer w/d in unit, but will settle for in-building.
* Pets OK preferred (no pets now, but may want one).
* Preferably under $1000/mo. Cheaper is better. Will happily let some preferences go for cheaper rent.

She's looked at kcloftcentral and mac and a few other places, but was hoping for personal recommendations.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Friend seeks place.

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

How high a priority is the gas range?  I have to think that is a real limiter since it seems most rentals have electric. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

* the boveri properties over at 28th and campbell (near the forthcoming troost MAX).  they are newly renovated, but in old buildings and are pretty sweet.
* the founders at union hill project might be good.  all new construction, 4-5 blocks from 31st and Main MAX.
* the KC southern railyard apartments in the river market.
* do craigslist searches for people renting condos/lofts downtown.  there are almost always units to be found in the garment district area or the manhattan/view area. 
* there are lots of decent apartments near KCAI / 43rd and Main area, just have to find one that suits you.  very good access to MAX and lots of other stuff.
* one can find some cool units in historic buildings just west of the 39th and Main area. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

* there are lots of decent apartments near KCAI / 43rd and Main area, just have to find one that suits you.  very good access to MAX and lots of other stuff.
A friend of mine recently bought in this area (Southmoreland) and I like it more and more as I walk around more often.  The OP criteria mostly fits for several buildings - and there is a variety.  A lot of art students and post students live in the area, good amenities nearby, Westport/Plaza a stones throw, MAX stop, cool old buildings mixed in with a few newer.  On the rougher side N of there compared to some other urban core hoods  but assertive community activity and continued investment is moving the hood forward.  I hear the Knapp (?) buildings are managed OK, which they own quite a few of in that hood.  But the apts in the area on not on the same tier as say KC southern River Market, Cold Storage or 901 Walnut.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

She should buy a house in Mission and begin pumping out babies.&&&
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: How high a priority is the gas range?  I have to think that is a real limiter since it seems most rentals have electric. 
Not a deal-breaker, especially if there's a nice ceramic glass electric. Metal coils are, however, the spawn of satan.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mean wrote: Metal coils are, however, the spawn of satan.
Oh believe me, I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately however they seem to be ubiquitous in the rental market unless you find something older thats still funky.  Seems like relatively few of the newer loft buildings ever get plumbed for gas either. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Gas is rare in new construction multi-tenant housing, but it is quite common in historic Midtown apartments.  Many of the colonnade and 4- or 6-plex buildings have gas cooking.  These are also the mostly like to have hardwood floors, but the least likely to have central A/C or W/D in the unit.  However, many still have central boiler heat, which is quite nice.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

There are several reasons why gas is seldom in lofts.  

Every space has to be wired for electricity, but gas is optional.  Since electricity has been more cost effective as a source of heating for years, most developers have elected to go for all-electric and the subsequent discount that KCP&L gives to tenants of such buildings.

Also, insurance companies see gas stoves/cooktops as adding risk.  So, they add cost to premiums. (I hate insurance!)

Kansas City Codes has to date not allowed alternative forms of gas delivery that vastly reduce the cost of installing gas.  Omaha has been very creative and as result they offer a lot of multifamily spaces with gas cooking.

Back to subject,  I don't get it.  This lady is availed herein to recognize the fabulous, fun and highly enviable lifestyle that is fairly guaranteed as a resident of downtown.  What's her problem, Mean?  Are you only letting her read postings by Trailerkid?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

loftguy wrote:Back to subject,  I don't get it.  This lady is availed herein to recognize the fabulous, fun and highly enviable lifestyle that is fairly guaranteed as a resident of downtown.  What's her problem, Mean?  Are you only letting her read postings by Trailerkid?
As it happens, she's a JO girl looking for something different.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: As it happens, she's a JO girl looking for something different.
just curious, is your friend now a happy RCP-dweller? 

we always hear about these friends in need, but never hear whether they actually made the move!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Still in the JO. Hasn't moved... yet.
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »