Tips for the new urbanite

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Tips for the new urbanite

Post by KCPowercat »

Ok so a coworker just moved downtown (newly moved from columbia I believe) and I wanted to offer up some downtown tips.....but I am drawing a blank as it all just seems normal now and the way life is.....so does anybody have good tips they offer to others in this situation?

I thought we had a topic like this but I couldn't locate it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Tips for the new urbanite

Post by DaveKCMO »

1. learn to ride the bus and where to find cabs.
2. shop locally: the economy starts with YOU.
3. an empty street is not necessarily dangerous.
4. don't give people money, ever.

i'm sure i'll think of a few more.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

2. shop locally: the economy starts with YOU.
 I don't think this can be underestimated.  Urban core residents, especially downtowners, really, really have to try to support nearby businesses that they enjoy.  Not only can they help to ensure that businesses they enjoy stay open in their neighborhood, they also contribute to the liveliness and viability of the city for other residents and visitors.  So important, and yet sometimes seems overlooked.  

Also applies to any regional product or biz, of course, but it is so acute in the urban core and DT, where the perception continues to exist (often times rightfully) that there is not a residential population to drive longer hours or expanded service.

As for other tips - if you live DT, you can't miss the city market on saturdays...get down there at a reasonable hour, peruse all of the fresh foods and plants under the stalls, have a coffee, a beer, brunch, whatever.

Take advantage of DT's central place in the metro...everything doesn't revolve around Joco. Make the short trip over to Briarcliff and the Riverside RedX or head up to Parkville for little brunch or dinner.  NKC, right across the river, has some interesting little treats as well, like Chappels and Cafe du Monde.  Take the MAX to the Plaza, Westport, BKS, it's so easy to catch DT, with all of the hilarious convoluted stops.

Also, don't be afraid to use Penn Valley Park...it's so close, and though it can feel a little empty at times but is getting better, and there's a decent lighted running path that winds around Liberty Memorial and the upper east side of the park.  Dog park on one end and WW1 museum on the other has done wonders for that part of the park.  
are we spinning free?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Raytown is not the center of the metro. You live downtown now. You don't have to go to the Eclipse for good beer, or Jim G's for good fried food, Funkytown is not the only nightclub in the city. Cut the ties, buck the trends, discover downtown KC.

Unless you want to smoke inside.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

1. don't bath, or at least pretend to be edgy which is represented as being dirty

2. Totally play the role of  a person who really thinks 800 square feet is a spacial palace

3. Talk about how healthy you are from carrying groceries several blocks.

4. Let a dog poop bag dangle from your pocket to demonstrate you know the rules.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Walnut is a one way street south of Truman. Please. For the love of god explain that to your newbie.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I'd basically just suggest to be ready to shift the paradigm. So many people come into downtown with a suburban mentality ready to drive everywhere and frustrated that there isn't a Target around the corner. Even before Cosentino's, one could find almost everything you need downtown. Start thinking smaller and be innovative about utilizing your options. Challenge yourself and you'll be a pro in weeks, and at that point you'll be realizing the different brand of convenience that downtown living affords.

Also, I want to pile on the notes about supporting neighborhood businesses. Sadly, businesses downtown are still a bit cutting edge. Having amenities in the neighborhood is one major reason people live downtown and you have to make a point to support them. Don't whine that the 12 pack of beer costs $1 more at the place a block away than it does at the place you drive 10 miles to go to. Understand the value of convenience, relationships and neighborhood growth. Use businesses like the extra "rooms" in your home, be out and about and interact with people in the neighborhood.

I'll also second the points about not being afraid. It is a chicken and egg problem. We need to be out on our streets so others can be too. When everyone stays away, the streets are desolate and don't seem to belong to us.

For me personally, I'd also suggest getting a cheap bike. You can get anywhere in minutes on a bike downtown, and the wide variety of routes means there are friendly routes to take. Hop on the bike at home, take a leisurely ride and chain up the bike at a coffee shop, restaurant or bar somewhere, even if you are all gussied up.

Basically, it is awesome, but you have to be sophisticated enough to want to make it as good as it can be.