Does anybody live in the Westside?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Does anybody live in the Westside?

Post by bobbyhawks »

Does anybody live in the Westside?... or know anybody who lives in the Westside.  I'm considering this area and would like some feedback on what people think compared to other neighborhoods.  Any sort of tips, advice, warnings, recommendations, boastfulness, humorous anecdotes, or philosophical ponderings are encouraged.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Does anybody live in the Westside?

Post by voltopt »

I have a couple of friends that have lived on Jefferson for many years - they love the West Side and almost convinced me to move over there a year ago (I wish I had - the apartment was very small so we ended up not doing it, but in hindsight I spend so much time over there it would have been great)

I have another friend who is renting on Summit - she loves it as well.  As far as safety, I'd venture that it as "safe" as volker/west plaza - its very detached and quiet, and very accessible to downtown.
In terms of things to do, there are many local grocers, cafes, bars, etc, and there are bus connections to midtown.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I have a friend that rents on Jefferson down from where the L house used to be perched.  It's a really old ass building that is very dirty and dusty.  The landlord is nice although milks it (don't all landlords?)  She loves the area, it's convenient to everything, has a neighborhood feel, people walk dogs.  She likes living near the bakery, blue bird, and Lil's.  It's a very diverse section of town which is a total plus in my mind.  And screenland is close - bonus.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

I like the Westside I live on the south end of it, it id really a cool neighborhood but just as with any place in the city do not leave anything expensive in your car and be aware of your surroundings. I have never felt unsafe there but got my car broken into once just last month after a long time of living there. The location I think it is pretty amazing and convenient.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i live very close and walk there a lot (frequenting screenland, lill's, blue bird, fervere, red star, and ws local). westside is much safer than anywhere in midtown, no question. it's closer to downtown! 17th street is the new 18th street! convenient to highway and union station. home to funkhouser's "double-wide" LOL.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Well, I've since finished considering the neighborhood and actually moved in!  My neighbors are terrific, and I love the area so far.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i think the westside is the coolest neighborhood in kansas city.  it has great proximity to downtown, two coherent (if sometimes competing) and strong neighborhood vibes, charming local businesses, some of the finest historic residential houses in the city, and serves as an incubator of sorts for modern and green residential development. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chrizow wrote: i think the westside is the coolest neighborhood in kansas city.  it has great proximity to downtown, two coherent (if sometimes competing) and strong neighborhood vibes, charming local businesses, some of the finest historic residential houses in the city, and serves as an incubator of sorts for modern and green residential development. 
I agree. I can see it being a very hot neighborhood over the next few years.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

chrizow wrote: i think the westside is the coolest neighborhood in kansas city.  it has great proximity to downtown, two coherent (if sometimes competing) and strong neighborhood vibes, charming local businesses, some of the finest historic residential houses in the city, and serves as an incubator of sorts for modern and green residential development. 
It's probably somewhere else on the forum, but I saw plans on the building at the SE corner of 17th and Summit to redo it.  They looked cool.  I think I would really like living in this neigborhood.  I looked at the prukc real estate site a couple weeks ago, and there are some pretty pricey digs already:

e.g.

$779K (pretty sweet): http://www.prukc.com/HomeSearch/Listing ... um=1606536
$635K (ditto): http://www.prukc.com/HomeSearch/Listing ... um=1616387
Some half million dollar 2 BR condos

The price on this 2 BR is somewhat reasonable ($275): http://www.prukc.com/HomeSearch/Listing ... um=1626373
but it is only a 2BR

I'd much rather live here than Brookside, but I wish I would have gotten real estate when it was cheaper.  This impression is formed simply from a quick prukc browse, but I wonder if the Westside cost inflation, like that for commercial real estate in the Crossroads, is getting a little ahead of itself.  Maybe not, though, because I think the prospects are better for the Westside to capitalize on its potential sooner.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Welcome to the Westside, Bobbyhawks.  Somehow I missed this thread previously.

I've lived there for 3 years and am entrenched.  The diversity is a real positive for me.  Ethnic, cultural, economic, employment, political and sobriety are all represented about as broadly as an enclave of mostly single family homes can be blended.

Some suggestions:
 -wave to everyone, every time, it may take a while for some to warm up.  You're a new face after all.
 -greet everyone and talk when you can
 -the streets are narrow, so yield freely to oncoming cars (esp. chicanas, it has not been adequately translated to them)
 -drive slow-most of the area is 25mph and kids own the streets
 -walk every block in the hood-from 16th to 29th-much to see-go into every retailer you come across
 -pick up trash as you go-it's practiced by neighbors from every background (mostly left by visitors)
 -email Lynda Callon at the Westside Community Action Center westcan@crn.org and ask to be included in her email list
   She is an earthy Mother Teresa to the neighborhood and keeps us all informed. (donate to the CAN center as you can)
 -go to events at the Guadalupe Center on Caeser Chavez and others that Lynda will promote
 -after dark, use good sense, in this hood and all others-dial 911 in a second, if uneasy
 -have a ball-life's a fiesta!

It's good to read that others see the Westside as a continuing rising tide.  That's definately the vibe I am increasingly noting.

Regarding pricing AJoD, I don't think that the prices have gotten way out of line (no, I don't own one of these moderns, unfortunately)
The two homes you linked are pretty extraordinary customs that could not be recreated for much less than the prices they are asking, if you could find the available lot.  Y'all should catch one of their open houses and see for yourselves.

There are still homes that come available in the area from $75,000, on up.  With continuing interest in the area, by buyers, of course the deals move quickly.  You have to be informed, ready and quick.

ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

Prices are pretty  good overall, the cheapest places will need remodeling, but some of those houses are worth if you see the potential and have the time to do it. As I mentioned before the location is amazing and  you are so centrally located to everything, besides IF needed you have really good highway access, but I try to do most of my shopping in the city.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

loftguy wrote: The two homes you linked are pretty extraordinary customs that could not be recreated for much less than the prices they are asking, if you could find the available lot.
Yeah, they sure seemed pretty anomalous.  Cool, though.  Good to hear there is still plenty of affordable.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

loftguy wrote: Welcome to the Westside, Bobbyhawks.  
Thanks for the response!

This is my first place, so needless to say it was nowhere near the 500k+ places listed above.  I really feel that I was lucky to catch my new pad when I did, though, right in my price range, and just a few blocks away from 17th and Summit (I love being able to walk to Los Alamos para cerveza y tortillas!).  For renters, I was told there are some very reasonable places across from Primitivo Garcia that have just opened up. 
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

Westside Housing has some rental properties that are pretty affordable but they have income guidelines, they also have been building new houses in the area where empty lots used to be, (still a lot on the south side) but the design is pretty urban. Here is their website

http://www.westsidehousing.org/
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bobbyhawks wrote: Thanks for the response!

This is my first place, so needless to say it was nowhere near the 500k+ places listed above.  I really feel that I was lucky to catch my new pad when I did, though, right in my price range, and just a few blocks away from 17th and Summit (I love being able to walk to Los Alamos para cerveza y tortillas!).  For renters, I was told there are some very reasonable places across from Primitivo Garcia that have just opened up. 
If those are the ones Adam Jones renovated, I've heard they are great spaces at really good prices.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

I just finished my move to the westside and I have to say - my walk into work this morning (to 6th and Broadway) was probably the single most satisfying thing about the move so far.  What a great way to start the day.

I'm not quite finished unpacking yet, but this place already feels more like home than either of the apartments I'd previously lived in here (Merriam, then West Plaza).  I'm really looking forward to being in the neighborhood!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

blackbird wrote: I just finished my move to the westside and I have to say - my walk into work this morning (to 6th and Broadway) was probably the single most satisfying thing about the move so far.  What a great way to start the day.
isn't it great!?!? i rarely tire of my walk, and people are always so envious. my response: make it happen.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Bienvenido, Blackbird.  You're gonna love it!
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

http://fresherthanfreshsnowcones.blogspot.com/

Closed for the season, but AWESOME when they are open.  Perfect little location in a garden.

They also sell outside Hammerpress on First Fridays