Survey: Does Your Condo/Loft Allow Dogs?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Survey: Does Your Condo/Loft Allow Dogs?

Post by tella100 »

Looking at a unit that has a strict no dog policy. While I don't own a dog I thought it was strange and got me thinking about how common that is in  downtown/urban core buildings?

I know my building in the River Market has dogs, lots of them (5 of the 6 units on my floor) and it is not that big of deal.  Find it problematic both financially (resale value) and from the "growth of the city" perspective that HOA's may be discouraging many folks from moving into the urban core unknowingly. 

Anyways anyone live in or know of a building that has a no dog policy?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Survey: Does Your Condo/Loft Allow Dogs?

Post by DaveKCMO »

dogs are a hassle, especially in a large building (ask a building manager). mine allows them, but only 2 and the weight limit is 50 lbs. we have a private green space, so it's not as bothersome to the surrounding area.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

tella100 wrote: Looking at a unit that has a strict no dog policy. While I don't own a dog I thought it was strange and got me thinking about how common that is in  downtown/urban core buildings?

I know my building in the River Market has dogs, lots of them (5 of the 6 units on my floor) and it is not that big of deal.  Find it problematic both financially (resale value) and from the "growth of the city" perspective that HOA's may be discouraging many folks from moving into the urban core unknowingly. 

Anyways anyone live in or know of a building that has a no dog policy?
The only one I know of that prohibits dogs *period* is 306 west 7th, the original Soho West Loft Condos.  The condo association passed that into the bylaws about 11 years ago and they have had a devil of a time selling lofts there since........even when the market was way up.
Amazing number of doggers who want to live downtown.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Having lived in a building with liberal dog policies for the last few years - I would gladly pay a premium not to now.  Dog owners are some of the rudest and most inconsiderate people you can possibly live around. 
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I don't mind the "doggers", but jeez, people who move here from Lenexa are so opinionated and prejudiced. They are all the same.

Four legs good, two legs baaaaad.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

taxi wrote: I don't mind the "doggers", but jeez, people who move here from Lenexa are so opinionated and prejudiced. They are all the same.
Prejudiced?  You are talking to someone who had to step over at least a dozen piss streams and multiple shit piles just to leave for work this morning. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Someone ought to do some education about how to train a dog to live in an urban setting.  (hint-hint DNA).  "curb your dog" signs don't do any good if 99% of people don't understand that means training the dog to pee over the curb instead of on the sidewalk.  And maybe folks could ask the downtown CID to spend some money on a dog park in the loop...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

My building in the RM has pretty much no dog restrictions at all.  There's occasionally problems with people not having their dogs leashed or not picking up their dog's poo, but the vast majority of the dog owners in my building are responsible.

My dog adapted to urban life quite well and loved it.  Only problem is that the unit next to mine is a daytime business and its door is right next to mine, so anyone someone comes or goes it sound to her like it's someone at my door and she'll bark at them.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

dangerboy wrote: Someone ought to do some education about how to train a dog to live in an urban setting.  (hint-hint DNA).  "curb your dog" signs don't do any good if 99% of people don't understand that means training the dog to pee over the curb instead of on the sidewalk.   And maybe folks could ask the downtown CID to spend some money on a dog park in the loop...
I LOVE telling dog owners to pick up their dogs shit.  Tell them directly and publicly.  Especially love stopping my car and hollering at them when they are stumbling half-asleep with their pajamas on under their coat.

I know a guy in the River Market who bagged up a bunch of crap from the park next to the city market and dumped it outside the door of one of his neighbors who never picked up after her dog, even when people pointed it out.  It fixed it, she moved.

A bit of humiliation is pretty good at correcting behaviors.

And hey, Dangerboy, the CID isn't able to play our rich uncle.  Right now they are struggling to keep all those awesome yellow jackets working.  Not everyone is paying their assessment.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

loftguy wrote: The only one I know of that prohibits dogs *period* is 306 west 7th, the original Soho West Loft Condos.  The condo association passed that into the bylaws about 11 years ago and they have had a devil of a time selling lofts there since........even when the market was way up.
Amazing number of doggers who want to live downtown.
That is the only one I know either.  I would think that their HOA would consider changing that policy given the substantial changes in the downtown housing market since 1998, i.e. increased competition for buyers.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

At Santa Fe Place in Crown Center we had seriously considered a no pet policy but were told by the real estate people how hard it would be to sell units.  We have a 35 lb. restriction and the pets have to be carried in any common area.  They are not allowed in the garden or pool areas and just have one strip along the driveway to do their business.  So far we have had no problems and there are about 6 dogs and numerous cats among the 110 units.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

cknab1 wrote: At Santa Fe Place in Crown Center we had seriously considered a no pet policy but were told by the real estate people how hard it would be to sell units.  We have a 35 lb. restriction and the pets have to be carried in any common area.  They are not allowed in the garden or pool areas and just have one strip along the driveway to do their business.  So far we have had no problems and there are about 6 dogs and numerous cats among the 110 units.
That sounds like a great idea and would eliminate alot of problems that are caused by the dogs.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Just imagine all the owners who would have to cut one of their dog's legs off just to meet the pound restrictions.

To make things worse, you'd be out there on the one strip, along the driveway, and call your dog. "Tripod, come!" and they'd all come arunnin'. Chaos.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

taxi wrote: Just imagine all the owners who would have to cut one of their dog's legs off just to meet the pound restrictions.

To make things worse, you'd be out there on the one strip, along the driveway, and call your dog. "Tripod, come!" and they'd all come arunnin'. Chaos.
I always laugh about the the weight restrictions, how is that enforcable?  I just love the idea of someone chasing around their neighbors with scale in hand
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I think it goes beyond dog owners wanting to live downtown. I think people move downtown and then get dogs because it seems like something you do. There are TONS of dogs in our building and for the most part, it works out okay, though we do have problems like the ones Lenexa mentions. We've implemented a fine structure for people caught letting their dogs do their business on our front patio and have placed cleaning supplies out for people to use. Still, you'll find yellow pools on the front step.

I like the idea of requiring dogs to be carried. Almost impossible to enforce but I think that is a reasonable move that still gives dog owners their freedoms, though it would be a change. There are several owners that don't uses leashes at all, walking their dog over to the City Market park. On a nice day, the average neighborhood resident can't use the park because it becomes an unofficial off-leash park with dogs taking over. Even if it wasn't a minefield of feces,  you wouldn't be able to have a picnic in the park on a nice Saturday without getting run over by a plethora of dogs.

Obviously dogs are important to a lot of downtown residents but things do need to improve. Good suggestion on having DNA do something to address this. I'll look into that.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

Sadly, if people don't want to pick up their dog's poo then they won't.  No matter what you say to them or do.  If they think no one's watching, they're not going to pick it up.

I've actually handed people poop bags in the park at 12th & Walnut if I saw them walking away from their dog's pile without picking it up.  Only a couple of times they turned around and picked it up.  Usually, they just look at it in confusion and walk away.

Same with leashes.  We've had so many emails and notices in my building threatening people to not let their dogs off their leash in the building, but I always see people doing it anyway.  I guess everyone thinks it doesn't apply to them?   

I don't know what would turn around a bad dog owner other than threats that are followed through on.  Those signs in the parks are useless because they're not enforced.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Angel wrote: I guess everyone thinks it doesn't apply to them?   
Nail on the head.  Dog owners have to have some of the most amazing abilities to rationalize their bad behavior.  NONE of them think they are the problem.  They all remember that one time, that one day, where they picked up their shit and thus have it in their head that they do this everytime.  I would love to see the wheels working in their heads as they mentally justify all the times that they walk away from the mess . . . "oh its just this once", "no one will walk here", "I would pick it up but I am late", "at least she made it to the front door instead of the hallway" . . . Every last one of them thinks that they are being responsible and the other owners are the problem, when in reality only a tiny fraction of them consistently act responsibly

I am sceptical about the weight limits - those small dogs are even worse, with weak bladders and probably more likely to just piss in the hall.