How urban life hurts your brain

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

How urban life hurts your brain

Post by KCMax »

Not necessarily an indictment of urban life as there are many other benefits to urban life, but a look at how we can mitigate some of this damage, namely, by having more parks.

Boston.com: How the city hurts your brain...And what you can do about it

This research is also leading some scientists to dabble in urban design, as they look for ways to make the metropolis less damaging to the brain. The good news is that even slight alterations, such as planting more trees in the inner city or creating urban parks with a greater variety of plants, can significantly reduce the negative side effects of city life. The mind needs nature, and even a little bit can be a big help.....

Given the myriad mental problems that are exacerbated by city life, from an inability to pay attention to a lack of self-control, the question remains: Why do cities continue to grow? And why, even in the electronic age, do they endure as wellsprings of intellectual life?

Recent research by scientists at the Santa Fe Institute used a set of complex mathematical algorithms to demonstrate that the very same urban features that trigger lapses in attention and memory -- the crowded streets, the crushing density of people -- also correlate with measures of innovation, as strangers interact with one another in unpredictable ways. It is the "concentration of social interactions" that is largely responsible for urban creativity, according to the scientists. The density of 18th-century London may have triggered outbreaks of disease, but it also led to intellectual breakthroughs, just as the density of Cambridge -- one of the densest cities in America -- contributes to its success as a creative center. One corollary of this research is that less dense urban areas, like Phoenix, may, over time, generate less innovation.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: How urban life hurts your brain

Post by ignatius »

Given the myriad mental problems that are exacerbated by city life, from an inability to pay attention to a lack of self-control,
WTF.  That is happening everywhere.  Who comes up with this crazy talk?

Excuse me while I go masturbate in an unfocused manner...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Truth hurts, doesn't it?
:)

Why do you think many fled the urban areas years ago.?  Urban life is not a perfect place that is heaven on earth.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Truth hurts, doesn't it?

Why do you think many fled the urban areas years ago.?  Urban life is not a perfect place that is heaven on earth.
There are a lot of reasons, but I'm guessing a lack of parks/mental problems was pretty low on the list of reasons.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Ah, yes, the constant quest for people to get confirmation that they made better choices. This drives most of the anti-urban sentiment you hear, I'd guess.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

Of course urban life isn't perfect, but it's nice to have it as an option for those who weigh the pros and cons and decide that urban life is the better imperfect choice.

I happen to believe that KCMO is the best part of the metro, but I am not blind to the crappy roads, schools, creepy mayor,....
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

You guys took my comments way too seriously.  Lighten up will ya.

Just having some fun with ignatius with his comments.

Really, it is studies like the one mentioned is what is crazy.  Looks like someone was trying to find something to do.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Lucky for KC residents, you are never really in a concrete jungle, miles from parks or trees.  KC is a very green city with our great parks, Boulevards, fountains, clean air etc.  Nature is not hard to find.  KC residents, even if they live in the crossroads or the loop really don't need to worry about this.  We could, however, use a few more trees in those area.  (I know that this is changing, especially with the new street scaping.)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: You guys took my comments way too seriously.  Lighten up will ya.
Notice your comments always get that sort of response and you always reply with "lighten up"?  Either you are really poor at using the right words/tone so people know it is a joke or you are attempting to stir up problems and when called out, you respond with "lighten up, I'm joking"...I'm just not sure which it is.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

Midtownkid wrote: Lucky for KC residents, you are never really in a concrete jungle, miles from parks or trees.  KC is a very green city with our great parks, Boulevards, fountains, clean air etc.  Nature is not hard to find.  KC residents, even if they live in the crossroads or the loop really don't need to worry about this.  We could, however, use a few more trees in those area.  (I know that this is changing, especially with the new street scaping.)
We are about to be designated non-attainment for air quality.  Boulevards might be pretty to look at, but they're still streets.  "Clean air" might not be something KC residents are familiar with having to worry about, but if we don't worry about it now, we could end up like St. Louis and have to get emissions tests done on personal vehicles before they can be registered.

I could go on, but I won't ramble.  Point being, clean air really shouldn't be taken for granted.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Not saying it should be taken for granted.  Actually saying the opposite, that KC peeps should appreciate our clean air and parks.  Also they should appreciate being in a city that is not a 'concrete jungle'.  The article says that being away from nature is not good for you.  I am saying that in KC you are never too far from nature.  Blvds are streets, but they are tree-lines streets (trees are plants, give off oxygen, taken in carbon...also house birds etc).  Blvds like Ward Pkwy and Paseo have that park-like strip in the center.  An opportunity to experience more nature.  So this idea that your brain can be harmed if you are not around nature is less of a worry to people in KC with our huge lawns and/or huge parks near downtown.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I think the point is that our air quality really isn't all that good and if we value it, we need to work harder to keep it clean.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote: Notice your comments always get that sort of response and you always reply with "lighten up"?  Either you are really poor at using the right words/tone so people know it is a joke or you are attempting to stir up problems and when called out, you respond with "lighten up, I'm joking"...I'm just not sure which it is.
afterall I did have a smiley face in the post.