Young professionals thinking of moving downtown KC

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
dorothyandtototoo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Young professionals thinking of moving downtown KC

Post by dorothyandtototoo »

WOW you guys are quick!  And efficient!  Thanks so much for responding I didn't think anyone would care to reply.  Ok so now that I know that you guys are willing to help...I can add some more detail.  I don't necessarily need to be downtown, I just want to be in walking distance of any of the party areas with some kind of action going on.  Right now I live in KC North on parvin road and it is like a wasteland out here.  The only reason I know I have neighbors is because of the cars in the parking lot.  I never see them!  And there is no where good to eat or anyting close by.  Im 22 yr old male and I want to live somewhere with some action where I can either drive to good places within like a 5 minute drive or preferably walk.  I am currently looking at a couple apartments right next to the plaza, one rents for 650, one rents for 625.  Both are older type places with wood floors, kinda dirty, but livable.  And they do allow dogs.  Im looking for something similar to these places.  Either in walking distance of the plaza, westport or PnL.  I have been working on this for a while.  I dunno, its so hard to get a feel for what the areas are like.  One apartment I am seriously considering is on Main and E 46th St.  Wood floors, one bedroom, street parking, on the first floor, dirty on the inside, w/ W/D in unit.  Rent is $650.  What do you guys think of that?  What about that area?  Think its safe?  Thanks for any input.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Just curious, does anything 'old' = 'dirty' or are all these places actually dirty?  Seems like you are using that word to describe a lot of these places.  for $600 'dirty' just might have to do.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Plaza and Westport areas are probably going to be much easier to find something that meets the budget/low-rise/dog requirements. 

If you have a 50lb dog, who cares how safe the area is.  :lol:
dorothyandtototoo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Midtownkid wrote: Just curious, does anything 'old' = 'dirty' or are all these places actually dirty?  Seems like you are using that word to describe a lot of these places.  for $600 'dirty' just might have to do.
Yea.. just forget I even said anything about dirtyness.. lol.  I just mean ya know you go look at some apartments and the kitchen and bathrooms just come off as nice and clean, i guess updated might be a better word or renovated.  When I say dirty I guess I mean that the bathroom and kitchen are just old and kind of grimy.. ya know the old school sink in the bathroom, old tile or w/e.  I can live with the older stuff, Im just hoping to get lucky and find a more updated place.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Check out craigslist - you can at least see pictures and prices of places for comparison at least before having to go out to look.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Ah, a Midtown Virgin!

The location at 46th and Main would be excellent for a Midtown newbie.  The neighborhood is called Southmoreland. It's very safe, very convenient, etc  You are just steps from the MAX station that will take you to Westport and Downtown.

A couple of other good neighborhoods for Midtown virgins are Volker (West 39th Street) and West Plaza (43rd and State Line and along Roanoke).  All three of these are safe and within walking distance of shops, bars, restaurants, etc.

For $600 you shouldn't have to put up with anything "dirty."  For most Midtowners the old style sinks and original bathroom tiles add to the historic character of the buildings.  You find many suburban-style apartments like Camden Passage if you are looking in 100 year old neighborhoods.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

dorothyandtototoo wrote: Yea.. just forget I even said anything about dirtyness.. lol.  I just mean ya know you go look at some apartments and the kitchen and bathrooms just come off as nice and clean, i guess updated might be a better word or renovated.  When I say dirty I guess I mean that the bathroom and kitchen are just old and kind of grimy.. ya know the old school sink in the bathroom, old tile or w/e.  I can live with the older stuff, Im just hoping to get lucky and find a more updated place.
This is part of the charm of older buildings and part of what makes them affordable. You won't find anything for cheap that is highly updated. You could look at some of the places in West Plaza that have carpet and more "modern" but still cheap fixtures. Roanoke West comes to mind.
dorothyandtototoo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

dangerboy wrote: Ah, a Midtown Virgin!

The location at 46th and Main would be excellent for a Midtown newbie.  The neighborhood is called Southmoreland. It's very safe, very convenient, etc  You are just steps from the MAX station that will take you to Westport and Downtown.

A couple of other good neighborhoods for Midtown virgins are Volker (West 39th Street) and West Plaza (43rd and State Line and along Roanoke).  All three of these are safe and within walking distance of shops, bars, restaurants, etc.

For $600 you shouldn't have to put up with anything "dirty."  For most Midtowners the old style sinks and original bathroom tiles add to the historic character of the buildings.  You find many suburban-style apartments like Camden Passage if you are looking in 100 year old neighborhoods.
Awesome, thanks for the info.  What is Volker btw?  Its not a road is it?  Is it an apartment complex?  I see w 39th st on the map but where on that street are you referring to?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dorothyandtototoo wrote: Awesome, thanks for the info.  What is Volker btw?  Its not a road is it?  Is it an apartment complex?  I see w 39th st on the map but where on that street are you referring to?
Volker is the neighborhood around 39th street, East of KU Med. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Man you need someone from this forum to take you around the city and see what's what.  Sounds like you aren't familiar with a lot of great areas!
dorothyandtototoo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Midtownkid wrote: Man you need someone from this forum to take you around the city and see what's what.  Sounds like you aren't familiar with a lot of great areas!
hook me up!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Volker is the neighborhood on either side of 39th, between Southwest Trafficway and Westport Road.  It includes the apartments at 41st and State Line that Voltopt and I recommended.  Just to south is the West Plaza neighborhood, which is 43rd to 47th and State Line over to the actual Plaza.  It also has lots of apartments.

Here is a map of some neighborhood boundaries:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 26343&z=13
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

dangerboy wrote: Volker is the neighborhood on either side of 39th, between Southwest Trafficway and Westport Road.  It includes the apartments at 41st and State Line that Voltopt and I recommended.  Just to south is the West Plaza neighborhood, which is 43rd to 47th and State Line over to the actual Plaza.  It also has lots of apartments.

Here is a map of some neighborhood boundaries:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 26343&z=13
I really love Volker. Its only knock is that it requires a transfer to take a bus downtown unless you catch the limited run 47.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

staubio wrote: I really love Volker. Its only knock is that it requires a transfer to take a bus downtown unless you catch the limited run 47.
Unless you live in eastern Volker and can walk to the 51 or even the MAX.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

dorothy - I live on E.46th/Main in one of the apartments there, across from the Southmoreland Inn B&B.  I highly recommend the neighborhood for the price.  You are essentially living on the plaza, with great access to Mill Creek and Southmoreland Park (for the dog, we have a ~50lb'er too), the Nelson, Kemper, and everything in midtown.  The walk from E.46th to all of the Plaza shopping and dining is extremely easy and quick, Westport can be done if you're in the mood (~20-25 min. walk).  There's a MAX bus stop on like 45th at the top of the hill to get you downtown, with cheap cab rides back, and a Berbigia/QT/Wild Oats on or near 43rd to cover basics - all walkable of course.  Oh and Jardine's , an amazing little jazz bar, is the de facto neighborhood bar right up the street at 45th and Main too, with Cafe Trio opening soon at 46th. 

Parking is free and generally easy to find, but I would recommend a plastic cover for your license plate stickers (they are stolen often).  The area is totally safe, from my experience, though the odd car break-in is not unheard of, especially if someone leaves something visible.

In general, I think it's tough to beat the location and price, although the buildings are old and not always in the best shape.  The Volker/39th St. area is awesome as well, and you may be able to find something that fits your criteria there, though I'm not as familiar with the options there.  Good luck!
are we spinning free?
dorothyandtototoo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Thanks for the help everyone.  I have decided on an apartment on Holly St. near Westport and Holly.  Got it for 625/mo and its got covered parking.  Wood floors.  Small bedroom, small bedroom closet, small living room.  There are 2 other large storage closets, one in dining room one in living room.  It has a front porch screened in.  W/D in basement.  You guys like that area?  It is not as close to the plaza as the apt. on Main and 46th, but still pretty damn close and it is a little closer to Westport I think.  I guess I will miss out on being close to the bus route but that should be fine.  Also I wont be as close to those little parks over by the other apartment, those would have been good for my dog.  I dunno, you guys think I made a mistake, think the other apt on Main/46th is a better deal?  The rent there is 650 w/ W/D in unit.  But you have to park on the road and there is not as much privacy.  The living space might be a little bit bigger too.  Tough decision.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

dorothyandtototoo wrote: Thanks for the help everyone.  I have decided on an apartment on Holly St. near Westport and Holly.  Got it for 625/mo and its got covered parking.  Wood floors.  Small bedroom, small bedroom closet, small living room.  There are 2 other large storage closets, one in dining room one in living room.  It has a front porch screened in.  W/D in basement.  You guys like that area?  It is not as close to the plaza as the apt. on Main and 46th, but still pretty damn close and it is a little closer to Westport I think.  I guess I will miss out on being close to the bus route but that should be fine.  Also I wont be as close to those little parks over by the other apartment, those would have been good for my dog.  I dunno, you guys think I made a mistake, think the other apt on Main/46th is a better deal?  The rent there is 650 w/ W/D in unit.  But you have to park on the road and there is not as much privacy.  The living space might be a little bit bigger too.  Tough decision.
Those are cool buildings. As for the bus route, you're actually located right on one, the 51, that runs right down Roanoke Parkway. I used that route all of the time when I lived in that area.

The walk is decent to both the Plaza and Westport. The Westport hike is a little less appealing because of the pedestrian nightmare that is the intersection of the Trafficway and Westport Road, but it is do-able. I found myself making that walk less than I would have liked. The Plaza is about 15 minutes the other direction.

As for green space, it won't be right out your door but Westwood Park and Roanoke Park are both within a reasonable dog walk and are great spaces.
dorothyandtototoo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Awesome thank you very much.
dorothyandtototoo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Oh yea and my walk score is 89.  I like
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Is craigslist the best spot to find most of these buildings?  I'm helping a friend look for a place in the forementioned neighborhoods (Primarily Plaza/West Plaze, but I like the Southemoreland and Volker suggestions) and that is the route she's been using......