Homeowner's Insurance for Condo -- Recommendations?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Homeowner's Insurance for Condo -- Recommendations?

Post by staubio »

My homeowner's policy is due for renewal and I think it is time for me to look at alternatives. I have a policy that my mortgage broker set me up with with some agent in extreme south Johnson County. I'd like to find a reasonable policy with an broker/company in the urban core that has a good reputation and has been easy to work with. Bonus points for the ability to manage my policy and make payments online.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Homeowner's Insurance for Condo -- Recommendations?

Post by chrizow »

far from the urban core, but i use the Insurance and Benefits Group out of Sedalia.  they are independent, so they'll get you the best deal. among the different providers.  i switched my auto to do an auto/home package that i think is a very good deal.  i was paying like $900/year for auto alone, but now i am paying i think $1300/year for home/auto both.  i work with "julia" down there and she has been extremely responsive and helpful - she responds to emails instantly.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

my condo insurance is with american family and i can pay and manage my account online.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i dont understand what there is to "manage?"  i send a check or pay online twice a year.  am i missing something?
hethj7
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hethj7 »

I use state farm and highly recommend them.  I just got married and they far beat the rates of my wife's company, American Family, considering the multi line discounts.  Thye've also been known to send me dividend checks each year, but I guess that is only on my auto policy. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I use Allstate, Sandi Rodriquez in westport.  You can pay your bills online and make claims online...I've really never dealt with the agents for claims or anything so can't speak to that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

Good timing!  I just solidified a new auto and home policy with David Denny State Farm at 8600 Ward Parkway.  Before moving forward with them I got a quote from Farmer's Insurance for $2,300/year for both car and home, Geico for $2,400 for both, and then State Farm came in HUNDREDS less at about $1,600 for both.  His assistant (can't remember her name) is super sweet and great to work with.  She calls back promptly and is very kind.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

If you haven't had an independent agent shop your home/condo and auto policies, you're paying too much for insurance and many times way too much especially if a home is involved.  The captive insurers spend so much more on advertising that it works its way back into your rates.