Fireworks

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Fireworks

Post by KCPowercat »

So how bad were the fireworks this 4th?  Any Case Park stories?  It's one weekend I'm glad I am not downtown due to visitors coming in and thinking downtown is their personal fireworks launch site.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Fireworks

Post by AllThingsKC »

I don't know why, but there were not a lot of people that took over Case Park.  Or at least, not nearly as many as normal (you could find a parking spot on the street at all times).

There just didn't seem to be as many fireworks around the city as there have been, IMO  :(
KC is the way to be!
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Case Park didn't seem to crazy.  I think the cops shut it down around 11pm.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I heard Gilham Park was a war zone.  I drove by on Saturday and the place was absolutely trashed.    Naturally, none of the trash using the park picked up their trash.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Ditto Concourse Park. Thoroughly trashed and the pigs who trashed it lfted nary a finger to clean up after themselves!

Sportster
...and the cops were where????
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

KCPowercat wrote: So how bad were the fireworks this 4th?  Any Case Park stories?  It's one weekend I'm glad I am not downtown due to visitors coming in and thinking downtown is their personal fireworks launch site.
geezer!  :D
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

The Westside was pretty crazy, as usual. The most impressive part is when the push brooms, leaf blowers, trash cans & garden hoses come out at 10:45 to clean up the mountains of stuff.

*edit* - specifically around 20th & Jefferson. Not sure if other areas clean up their trash this quickly & thoroughly!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

drumatix wrote: The Westside was pretty crazy, as usual. The most impressive part is when the push brooms, leaf blowers, trash cans & garden hoses come out at 10:45 to clean up the mountains of stuff.

*edit* - specifically around 20th & Jefferson. Not sure if other areas clean up their trash this quickly & thoroughly!
I really appreciate the people who do that.   

We were shooting them off in Belton (where virtually everything is legal) and had three long folding tables completely covered in stacks of fireworks.  By the time we were done the street was was buried in shrapnel.  We then spent an hour with push brooms and dust pans cleaning it all up, then went back out the next day to get stuff we didn't see and everything that had strayed into other people's yards.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i was at la esquina at 25th and sw blvd.  families were setting off all kinds of crazy stuff along w. 24th.  one guy was putting m80s in a hole  like they were IEDs.  to the north i saw lots of "fireworks show" fireworks in the sky - not sure if those were legit or not.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Shooting fireworks was cool until you started driving at age 16.

Then, you realize only dorks get off on them past that age.  Usually guys who don't have girlfriends.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i enjoyed the use of some sparklers (with my gf) at a party in northeast kc on saturday. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

chrizow wrote: i enjoyed the use of some sparklers (with my gf) at a party in northeast kc on saturday. 
You weren't tossing jumping jacks into the cul-de-sac?

Or lighting bottle rockets, and laughing when the exploded in the air?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chrizow wrote: i was at la esquina at 25th and sw blvd.  families were setting off all kinds of crazy stuff along w. 24th.  one guy was putting m80s in a hole  like they were IEDs.  to the north i saw lots of "fireworks show" fireworks in the sky - not sure if those were legit or not.
There were at least 8 blocks of the Westside that were shut down for the day/night.  Several of these groups were shooting some pretty serious stuff off.  The competition for best display was pretty awesome this year.  The next morning the neighborhood was amazingly clean, except for areas (observation park) where non-natives were pyroing.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Y'all should follow the lead of Volker and have your neighborhood associations hire off-duty police cops to patrol the neighborhood and enforce the fireworks ban.  It has made a huge difference here  near West 39th.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

Maitre D wrote: Shooting fireworks was cool until you started driving at age 16.

Then, you realize only dorks get off on them past that age.  Usually guys who don't have girlfriends.
Fireworks are easier to have fun with if you're comfortable enough in your own identity to behave like a dork & pretend that you don't have a girlfriend for the night!
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

dangerboy wrote: Y'all should follow the lead of Volker and have your neighborhood associations hire off-duty police cops to patrol the neighborhood and enforce the fireworks ban.  It has made a huge difference here  near West 39th.
$$$
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

scooterj wrote: I heard Gilham Park was a war zone.   I drove by on Saturday and the place was absolutely trashed.    Naturally, none of the trash using the park picked up their trash.
Yep.  Coming home from fireworks elsewhere, I had to drive around gilham park instead of going through via 41st because there was so much trash (human and otherwise) blocking the way and fireworks going off in the middle of the street.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Fuck the fireworks bans. They're another attempt by the dreary and soulless to impose their own brand of dullness onto others.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Tosspot wrote: Fuck the fireworks bans. They're another attempt by the dreary and soulless to impose their own brand of dullness onto others.
Amen!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

fire safety/prevention is for squares!