Smash & Grab

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Smash & Grab

Post by elextendo »

Drove through what used to be SOHO South parking(walnut & 16th) lot Sunday morning..I counted 10 piles of glass from car window smashing..Has anyone noticed quite a bit more of this since the P&L has gone in?..What if anything are they doing about the crimes committed outside there development? Should they patrol the area as well? I personally see no more police presence than before the rebirth of downtown(except in Cordishland)..
P&L Free since 2008
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Smash & Grab

Post by dangerboy »

A few days ago the Star reported an outbreak of this all over the metro area.  It's mostly dumb people leaving valuables in their cars, usually in plain sight of anyone walking by.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

When the Wife and I walked down to the P&L Art show Saturday there was a car on Grand about 16th street that had the passenger window knocked out.  I know no one should leave any thing in sight of passerbys, but the police presence is a joke.  The few I saw at the Art show were in a corner on their cell phones.  This should really be unacceptable to people.  Both the crime and police response to it.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

dangerboy wrote: A few days ago the Star reported an outbreak of this all over the metro area.  It's mostly dumb people leaving valuables in their cars, usually in plain sight of anyone walking by.
Let's not blame the victims now.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

we could double our police force and not stop these thefts...they take abou 30 seconds to complete.  protect yourself, don't leave anything in sight anywhere in your car.

did somebody actually just try and blame this on the p&l district?  seriously.  the blanket hatred some have for this area would be laughable if it wasn't so sad....especially considering who these posters claim they represent.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCPowercat wrote: we could double our police force and not stop these thefts...they take abou 30 seconds to complete.  protect yourself, don't leave anything in sight anywhere in your car. hang out downtown.
:D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well theft from my personal vehicle has only happened twice.  both times items left in view in the car, neither time anywhere close to what people would consider a "downtown area". (manhattan, ks & lenexa, ks)

voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

elextendo wrote: Drove through what used to be SOHO South parking(walnut & 16th) lot Sunday morning..I counted 10 piles of glass from car window smashing..Has anyone noticed quite a bit more of this since the P&L has gone in?..What if anything are they doing about the crimes committed outside there development? Should they patrol the area as well? I personally see no more police presence than before the rebirth of downtown(except in Cordishland)..
I used to live at 15th and Walnut, and there were many incidents of car break ins before the Power and Light District showed up, but it certainly increased since February.  I wouldn't blame it entirely on the district - the shootings, carjackings, and smash and grabs that occured around there were happening before the District turned on - but I think it has brought some opportunists downtown.  I typically left my vehicle unlocked - and I purposefully drive a ratty vehicle that noone would want or be able to drive.  One night a fellow slept in my car - which is fine - but he didnt' take anything, because there wasn't anything to take, except a couple of cigarette butts.  My fiance wasn't so lucky  - one night about a year ago two windows in her car were smashed, and two of her tires were slashed.  It happened to four cars in the parking lot at 16th and main, so I don't think it was personal, but they didn't take anything.  
We didn't move because of car property crime - I personally am not attached to my vehicle and understand that it is a mode of transportation, and that it will be damaged at some point in its life cycle (and that it will never be an investment, just a loss) we moved to save money and get away from the suburban yahoos who were driving the wrong way down Walnut every night and drunkenly yelling and fighting.  Just kidding - we moved to save money.  We are in Dutch Hill now, which according to the Downtown Council is part of downtown, but as a resident I don't really see how it could be considered that, as its about 2 miles from 12th and Main.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

If you leave anything of value in your car in plain sight - you are asking to get it stolen. Where ever you are. Happened to me with a small CD case at 39th/Bell.

Nothing police can really do about small crimes like this. Should we dedicate one officer to patrol every surface lot/street parking spot in the city?
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

take the bus.

but yeah, there is no more police presence downtown than there ever was -- except for the district. a good reason to lobby for those 20 new officers in next year's budget.

i will also note that P+L gets an awful lot of attention from the fire department. i have personally witnessed fire trucks circling the Live block on multiple occasions.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

dangerboy wrote: A few days ago the Star reported an outbreak of this all over the metro area.  It's mostly dumb people leaving valuables in their cars, usually in plain sight of anyone walking by.
Why blame the victims??? A person should be able to leave his wallet on the front porch if parents had taught their children right from wrong.

Criminals are criminals plain and simple. It's their fault for their actions and no one else's.

That said, I don't leave valuables in my car either. But I should be able to if I choose.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have noticed more police and private security after-hours all around the district.  kcpd added bike patrol as well.

I don't see the # of safety officers as an issue...seems to be about right.  still not going to stop thefts from autos.

voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

DaveKCMO wrote: take the bus.
Exactly.  
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

KCPowercat wrote: I have noticed more police and private security after-hours all around the district.  kcpd added bike patrol as well.

I don't see the # of safety officers as an issue...seems to be about right.  still not going to stop thefts from autos.
Before I moved out of Truman and Walnut, I witnessed mounted patrol trotting down walnut the wrong way to probably about 18 or 19th street, on a Sunday night at 9pm.  They were definitely patrolling, because they came back up the street a half hour later or so...
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

nota wrote: Why blame the victims??? A person should be able to leave his wallet on the front porch if parents had taught their children right from wrong.

Criminals are criminals plain and simple. It's their fault for their actions and no one else's.

That said, I don't leave valuables in my car either. But I should be able to if I choose.
I blame the victims because they put themselves in a position to be victims - and then start crying when someone turns them into a victim. Yes, in a perfect world, I should be able to sleep unmolested in my front yard with $100 taped to my forehead. That's not the reality of life.

And I know some wonderful parents who have done all they can to teach their children right from wrong. And you know what? Sometimes those kids still turn out bad.

I know it wouldn't be an official KCRag thread without you passing judgement on someone, but the answer isn't always "bad parenting." I would say the parents who raise their kids to leave their wallets laying on the front seat of their car have done just as bad a job of preparing their kids for life.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

nota wrote: Why blame the victims??? A person should be able to leave his wallet on the front porch if parents had taught their children right from wrong.
Are you serious? 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

sometimes this stuff happens even without leaving something inside, i had my passenger side window smashed without having anything in there (when i lived in St. Louis).  Nothing was taken because i had nothing in the car.... i was mystified as to why in the world someone would be such a dick as to smash the window before checking to see if there was something they wanted in the first place.

My guess is they popped open the glove compartment hoping to find something.... but i didn't have anything there either.  So i just ended up with 300 dollars worth of glass to replace  :x
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ComandanteCero wrote: sometimes this stuff happens even without leaving something inside, i had my passenger side window smashed without having anything in there
That's easy... Enough stupid people try to hide valuables in their cars that it is worth 30 seconds of thief's time to smash the window and see if there is anything under the seat or in the glove compartment.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

Hmmm... Friday and Saturday nights could be just the time to pull this sort of robbery off. Lots of people around, and half of the police who are on duty are busy with roadblocks around Westport.

I've noticed the same piles of glass on 39th street, in the parking lot just West of Saigon 39. Probably 20(ish) windows were knocked out there...
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Im curious how many are reported to the police or insurance..This would answser  the question for more cops on the beat..THEY NEED TO BE REPORTED
P&L Free since 2008