Booze in parks?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Booze in parks?

Post by Jess »

Am I correct in assuming you're not allowed to bring alcohol into a Kansas City park without some type of event permit or something?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Booze in parks?

Post by dangerboy »

Jess wrote: Am I correct in assuming you're not allowed to bring alcohol into a Kansas City park without some type of event permit or something?
I believe this is incorrect.  It is my understanding that small quantities are OK for something like a personal picnic.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

only if you are selling it to minors...
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

may or may not be legal, but I've never had a problem bringing say, a 6-12 pack or a bottle of wine or two for a picnic, or just to sip on :)
are we spinning free?
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

To the best of my knowledge, its technically illegal and requires a permit.
According to the Parks Department's little green reference book:

http://www.kcmo.org/parks/GreenBook.pdf

50-152 CONSUME ALCOHOL
DID CONSUME INTOXICATING LIQUOR ON A PUBLIC (STREET, SIDEWALK, or PARK) WITHOUT A PERMIT
Penalty provision 1.17

Sportster
...violated daily i might add
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sportster wrote: To the best of my knowledge, its technically illegal and requires a permit.
Approved by Cordish.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Mainly, I was just wondering if it was okay to bring beverages to the Othello in Southmoreland Park.  We ended up not, but I noticed that quite a few did, legal or no. Filed for future reference. I just didn't want to get my nice bottle o' wine confiscated, so I played it safe.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Jess wrote: Mainly, I was just wondering if it was okay to bring beverages to the Othello in Southmoreland Park.  We ended up not, but I noticed that quite a few did, legal or no. Filed for future reference. I just didn't want to get my nice bottle o' wine confiscated, so I played it safe.
i've been bringing wine to these performances for years. no one has ever said anything.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

yeah if you had just said were you wanted to take it, we could have told you it would be OK :)
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Frankly, I think its more of a "selective" thing. Don't think the "shakespeare set" is the target for zero tolerance in parks.
The Northeast Ball Diamonds on a Sunday evening on the other hand...

Sportster
...shall we say - target rich environment
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Eh, I had to leave for the performance before any replies were posted...no biggie, either way...I was just curious.
RiverMarketDweller
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by RiverMarketDweller »

I checked with the bus company last year and it is OK to take your cooler with liquor on the bus on the way to the Shakespeare festival as long as you are not drinking on the bus.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

RiverMarketDweller wrote: I checked with the bus company last year and it is OK to take your cooler with liquor on the bus on the way to the Shakespeare festival as long as you are not drinking on the bus.
Then that's the bus company's policy, not the law. State law does not forbid the possession of an open container while riding in a vehicle. The only condition is that if you have an open container you cannot be driving. Several towns in the state(for example Columbia and Independence) have an explicit ban on open containers in vehicles, but Kansas City does not.

However, even though a passenger riding a bus in Kansas City is perfectly within their legal right to drink from an open container as they ride, it becomes completely unlawful as soon as they step off, regardless of the location. That's probably one reason they don't permit it. Another might be the fact that the KCATA has routes that enter places where such activity is entirely unlawful, like Independence and the entire state of Kansas.
dorothyandtototoo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dorothyandtototoo »

eh, who will catch you anyways
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

bahua wrote: However, even though a passenger riding a bus in Kansas City is perfectly within their legal right to drink from an open container as they ride
Actually, consuming food and drink is forbidden aboard the bus. City/State law doesn't prohibit it, KCATA rules do.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yes. I said that.