21Ten Roof Problems?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
redwood7
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

21Ten Roof Problems?

Post by redwood7 »

I just heard that the 21Ten roof has problems and that all the units are going be assessed (a lot) in the near future.

Can anyone else confirm?  If true -- what a bummer if they can't keep the rooftop deck.

I've been told that a number of sellers in the building have recently dropped their asking price tens of thousands of dollars as a result.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: 21Ten Roof Problems?

Post by kclofter »

How long has it been that the building was turned over to the HOA?  Kind of surprising that a major roof issue is arising so soon after renovation.  Any idea as to the nature of the problem?
redwood7
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by redwood7 »

No idea.  I did hear this from a friend who spoke with a current resident so I'm pretty confident it is true.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

The figures I have heard would not require price reductions of "tens of thosands of dollars."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you would think there would still be some sort of construction warranty....is that place even 5 years old?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

yes I think it is more than 5 years old. In Missouri, a developer has a general duty to do construction in a "workmanlike manner", generally used  by homeowners as a catch all to sue the developer for shoddy builds.  There is a statute of limitations on such suits and my guess is 21 ten has probably passed it.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Surely the contract between the developer and the HOA would have provision for construction defects?  Even the owners of new beige cracker boxes have some recourse when the developers do shoddy work.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we have a tolling agreement on some specific items with the construction company that worked on our building. pretty sure that if the warranty has lapsed they have to agree to take on certain issues this way. otherwise, you probably have to sue.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I have heard that multiple contractors worked on the roof and they are each blaming the problems on the other.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

It sounds like they need to get a reputable roofing contractor to rip off the errors that others made and start over. I do not know where this building is but the roofing trade is probably the worst for shoddy workmanship and the people that pay for the work end up suffering in the long run. 
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
redwood7
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by redwood7 »

The figures I have heard would not require price reductions of "tens of thosands of dollars."
Maybe it is some combination of the roof problems, the poor market, and/or desperation, but that is what I heard.

If you know more, please illuminate us.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

redwood7 wrote: I just heard that the 21Ten roof has problems and that all the units are going be assessed (a lot) in the near future.

Can anyone else confirm?  If true -- what a bummer if they can't keep the rooftop deck.

I've been told that a number of sellers in the building have recently dropped their asking price tens of thousands of dollars as a result.
My sister very nearly bought a unit here recently.  The listing had been on the market for almost a year and had been lowered twice from 185 to 165 with the agent saying, "def put in an offer; whatever you think within reason" even at that price.  I don't know if the roof has anything to do with it though. I would guess general market fundamentals are king in this as in other cases.  Looking at a lot of units over the last couple months, she has found that MOST have been on the market a long time and have seen significant reductions in list prices with a few buildings standing out as exceptions.
Last edited by Gretz on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

Gretz wrote: My sister very nearly bought a unit here recently.  The listing had been on the market for almost a year and had been lowered twice from 185 to 165 with the agent saying, "def put in an offer; whatever you think within reason" even at that price.  I don't know if the roof has anything to do with it though; I would guess general market fundamentals are king in this as in other cases.  Looking at a lot of units over the last couple months; she has found that MOST have been on the market a long time and have seen significant reductions in list prices with a few buildings standing out as exceptions.
Yep that is the story that I am finding trying to buy this year.  One 4,000 SF "penthouse" type unit in the River Market just sold for nearly half of its 04 price a few weeks ago.    Seems like Loft/Condo units are getting hit harder. The market is bad everywhere, but probably not too many people loosing 50%  or more on single family homes in KC these days.

In short, the roof problems are probably not the biggest cause of poor sales at 21 Ten.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FWIW.

One financial consultant put out a caution on condo buying.  It applied mainly to the Miami area but the principle remains the same.  Foreclosers have not only hit single family homes but also the condo market.  Some complexes have been hit hard leaving the remaining buyers to pick up the slack on homeowners assn dues and expenses.  Tenants having financial problems may not make dues payments for a period of time and then when the "bank" takes over it may not make payments also.  So investigate the financial condition of the homeowners assn before buying - your great deal make not be such a great deal afterall. 
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.