Urban Living Tour

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Urban Living Tour

Post by DaveKCMO »

post your recaps here! did anyone go on the VIP tour last night?
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Urban Living Tour

Post by KCLofts »

Went out late this afternoon to check out a couple of the new places.

Haden Lofts (formerly the "Awesome Lofts").  Not so awesome.  Pretty low quality of finish, in my opinion, for the prices they are charging.  HOA dues of 28-29 cents seem pretty high for very little amenities.  You have to pay extra for parking and do not have the option to buy a parking space until 6 years from now.  Until that time, you have to rent for $150/per month.  I'd buy at Piper or Windows in the same area instead.  Given the competition from those two projects, I think the Haden lofts are going to have a tough time.

The Summit.  Seems to be targeted at the older market.  Pretty nice finishes, but very suburban - oil-rubbed bronze fixtures, free standing antiquey vanities, crystal chandeliers.  Kind of going for an old Italian vibe or something.  7 units total - 5 on the second floor and 2 on the newly constructed thrid floor.  The third floor unit has a nice terrace.  The second floor units are two-level, so you have some nice space.  Pretty nicely done, but not my taste at all.  They are planning to add a coffee house and art gallery to the first floor, so that will be a really good addition to the neighborhood.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCLofts wrote: Went out late this afternoon to check out a couple of the new places.

Haden Lofts (formerly the "Awesome Lofts").  Not so awesome.  Pretty low quality of finish, in my opinion, for the prices they are charging.  HOA dues of 28-29 cents seem pretty high for very little amenities.  You have to pay extra for parking and do not have the option to buy a parking space until 6 years from now.  Until that time, you have to rent for $150/per month.  I'd buy at Piper or Windows in the same area instead.  Given the competition from those two projects, I think the Haden lofts are going to have a tough time.

The Summit.  Seems to be targeted at the older market.  Pretty nice finishes, but very suburban - oil-rubbed bronze fixtures, free standing antiquey vanities, crystal chandeliers.  Kind of going for an old Italian vibe or something.  7 units total - 5 on the second floor and 2 on the newly constructed thrid floor.  The third floor unit has a nice terrace.  The second floor units are two-level, so you have some nice space.  Pretty nicely done, but not my taste at all.  They are planning to add a coffee house and art gallery to the first floor, so that will be a really good addition to the neighborhood.
Well said on both.  The Summit was definitely going to attract older couples.  It was nice, but not my style.  I didn't realize this was an old theater, although I've walked by it many times.  The model we went in felt a little claustrophobic at first until you get through the long hallway into the kitchen/living room area.

I took a ton of pictures and will post them in the next couple days.  We were out from 10 am until 4 pm today, it was great weather if a bit windy.  The Reserve are going to be absolutely amazing when open.  Park Place was also pretty awesome.  Personally, I liked 909, 21 Ten, and Freight House.  The original wood floors on the Freight House are what I liked most about that one.  21 Ten for its roof top garden, and 909 because it's rental and full of amenities, and I can't buy yet.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We were there early, seemed to wake up the sales agents every time we came in.  The freight house lofts were awsome.  Wood floors, view of both Union Station and the memorial.  Only drawback was the rooftop was small.  Campbell lofts were not so impressive, weak finishes.  We went in the 21 Ten building across from the library, it wasn't on the tour, but they were smart enough to put baloons out!!  Nice units for a very reasonable amount, about 2.5 years old, the rooftop is incredible.
redwood7
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by redwood7 »

I liked the Freight House Lofts as well.  I thought the roof deck, though small, was very nice and had a lovely southern view.  The addition of covered parking spaces will be nice.  I've mostly been looking downtown, but the FHL had me seriously thinking about Crossroads.

Campbell was OK.  The Reserve was definitely not my style -- pretentious.  I loved the City Homes in the River Market but they are way out of my price range.

So 21Ten units were open for viewing?  I wonder if they'll be open again tomorrow?  I've been wanting to check out that building for quite awhile.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

redwood7 wrote: I liked the Freight House Lofts as well.  I thought the roof deck, though small, was very nice and had a lovely southern view.  The addition of covered parking spaces will be nice.  I've mostly been looking downtown, but the FHL had me seriously thinking about Crossroads.

Campbell was OK.  The Reserve was definitely not my style -- pretentious.  I loved the City Homes in the River Market but they are way out of my price range.

So 21Ten units were open for viewing?  I wonder if they'll be open again tomorrow?  I've been wanting to check out that building for quite awhile.
They're guided tours since they are occupied units for resale.  Some very nice agents in the lobby willing to take you up.
kccrackednut
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kccrackednut »

Campbell Lofts--not much wow factor, cheap interiors, location is everything here, the drinkers will love it with a monthly wine bottle refills
Fountains--some really great views but again cheap looking finishes and interiors
Reserve--definitely more upscale than the others, but anything above Home Depot finishes would be better than the others.

It seemed that the conversions just lacked a "wow" factor--if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Park Place was also pretty awesome. 
This place has an awesome website replete with the view from each type of floor plan.  If I was in town and could afford it, I would love to live here.  The ten year property tax abatement makes it even more attractive.  I understand condo sales have been slow and I have to wonder why unless it's just priced too high for the market. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Went around today...didn't hit a lot of them.

- QH condos - did a good job redoing these...starting at $230k which is more than I thought they were going to run these

- QH square - pretty basic stuff but they are only $89k.....income restricted to buy

- P&L building condos - These are #2 on my list of dream condos projects (#1 is Wallstreet).  Awesome location and views to come.  Waiting anxiously to hear the prices.  Really like the ability to park on the same level as your condo unit, hence no elevators to deal with.

- Reserve - building wasn't open so didn't go in, wanted to see the actual building, not the sales center

- 1st & Main - cool redo, still not sure about the location.....toured the penthouse which had a awesome outdoor patio.

- Townly lofts - just stopped by since we were walking by....cool layout of the 1 bedroom I saw.  Rentals.

That's all I had time for....anybody take any pics?  Wish I would have had time for the crossroads ones too.  Kind of telling that Cordish didn't have anything setup for any future condo tower next to the grocery store.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

re: Highlander

Condo sales were slower on the high end, not that slow for units under $300K.  But in the last month, it looks like the high end sales are starting to pick up.  Will be curious to see how sales go this month after the tour.  Have been tracking supply here...

http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 37#p339537
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Park Place has only sold like 20 out of 130 units or so.  It's been up for sale for several years now.  I'm afraid they went too high end.

The owners are from California and wanted to build an upscale California project in Missouri.  They did, but it's not selling.  HOA dues are more than most people's mortgage.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

First up:

The Summit...could have a very urban feel to it if it's decorated right.  As stated before these were decorated to appeal to older suburbanites.  I completely dig the way they left the trusses going straight through walls and rooms.

Here we move on to Park Place:

The lobby has several commons areas...

A wine tasting room:

A climate controlled wine cellar:

Saltwater lap pool complete with sconces off of a razed art deco building in KC...I think a tire building?  Forgot the name...

A billiards room

Some mediocre views of downtown:  &

This unit was a strange mediterranean style.  I wouldn't mind staying in this if it was a hotel, but would get a little sick if it was my permanent decor.

Yes, this is a mirrored bathroom.

Now we're in the Crossroads somewhere...

This is Freight House fo'sho...not sure about the above...I was in love with the flooring at Freight House.

Moving to Walstreet

Where am I?  909?  Don't really know...someone help me here...

This is the hallway (behind a blocked off door of course!  :lol:) of the Union Carbide.  Agent said the building is currently just a shell.  Sad...

Can't tell from the picture and not sure where I was...21 Ten?  Can't remember...but these cabinets kicked ass and the picture doesn't do justice.

21 Ten fo'sho...Completely awesome rooftop garden.  Complete with two grills.  Will seriously consider this place at some point...These were resales, but as someone above noted, they were very friendly and eager to show the place off.  Not officially on tour but very welcoming. 

redwood7
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by redwood7 »

Great pics, Pumpkin!

I wasn't able to get downtown today to check out 21Ten so I am setting up a viewing some time this week.  I also want to get back to the FHL.  I love the location.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Very cool photos.

Where was this?  That's one of my prints!  I have prints in many condo buildings and I have not seen them all.

This was only this weekend right?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

GRID wrote: Very cool photos.

Where was this?  That's one of my prints!  I have prints in many condo buildings and I have not seen them all.

This was only this weekend right?
Which?

My new camera is taking some blurry ass pictures.  Not sure what's going on, but they should be better than what they look.  Going to have to bust out the instructions.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Which?
oops :).

Again, these are great shots.  I really like the shots of the Park Place with the skyline in the windows.  Those are almost surreal.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

GRID wrote: oops :).

Again, these are great shots.  I really like the shots of the Park Place with the skyline in the windows.  Those are almost surreal.
That was the Freight House lofts!

Yeah the views from Park Place were absolutely phenomenal!!!  None like it.  You can see all of PV Park, and surprisingly, it looks great from 14 stories up.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Freighthouse?  Interesting, I have never worked with them directly.  Do you remember what the logo under the print said?  I hope my clients are not breaking their license agreements and just giving out my high res prints to each outer ;)
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I didn't honestly look, sorry!  I passed some of Tosspots work at Hallmark, crude print offs pasted on foamboard in one of the hallways highlighting Union Cemetery.  He said he gave permission to the Union Cemetery people, and they must have given some to Hallmark when they requested some pictures to make an informational board about the historic cemetery.  Funny how things get passed along, eh?!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I didn't honestly look, sorry!  I passed some of Tosspots work at Hallmark, crude print offs pasted on foamboard in one of the hallways highlighting Union Cemetery.  He said he gave permission to the Union Cemetery people, and they must have given some to Hallmark when they requested some pictures to make an informational board about the historic cemetery.  Funny how things get passed along, eh?!
Yea.  I'm much stricter than toss though and nobody would do that and put their logo on it, so I'm sure it's legit.

Ever been in the Library Lofts sales office?  They have larger format prints like that all over it.