renter's insurance

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Slice57
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: renter's insurance

Post by Slice57 »

I am thinking of moving to KC and those rates seem pretty good. I pay almost 200 for 25K of coverage. Time to switch companies!
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

My independent agency has an insurance company that has a renters policy with rates that start around $75/year for $10k of coverage.  It's by far the most affordable rate I've seen from any of the companies we offer.
iheartbooks
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iheartbooks »

We pay about $11 per month for:

C: $15,000
D - loss of use: $4500
Liab: $300,000

$300+ per year seems excessive for a renters policy.

For the person with the $300+ premium renters policy, is it an special form, broad or basic policy?  Do you have RCV on contents or is your policy ACV only?  Do you have any special endorsements?  Do you have prior insurance losses?  Do you have poor credit?  All of these will affect your rates.  Talk to your agent about it.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

They look at your zip code and previous claims against the property.  If there have been a lot of robberies, etc. in the building, the rates will be higher.

Be sure to mention any things like alarms, locked entrance, sprinklers,etc. that might lower the rates.