Thoughts on DE Lofts?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
mildweed
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Thoughts on DE Lofts?

Post by mildweed »

I've changed my mind.
They're understaffed AND incompetent.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

mildweed wrote: I've changed my mind.
They're understaffed AND incompetent.
Yikes! Care to expand upon that?

I'm really tired of watching Delaware, one of the best streets in the neighborhood, languish under their direction.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

This website offers some interesting views, though I really don't want to share it because I'd prefer that DE would sell out and stabilize.

http://desgustinglofts.com/
VELO DOOM
Pad site
Pad site

Post by VELO DOOM »

Oh thanks a lot Staub!!!

The site is hilarious but I get the heeby-geebies when bugs are involved.

Now I'm gonna have to sleep in a bug net.
great men live dangerously, small men don't take chances.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't think cockroaches poop, do they?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mildweed
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mildweed »

Wow, that's a crazy site.

If you're interested in who could be as mad at DE as to make that website, you can search on that domain name at http://resellers.tucows.com/whois/index_html

Anyways, my gripe is with their maintenance / improvements.  As a part of my purchase contract there was an improvement included.  Now, 8 months later, it still isn't done and doesn't look like it'll be done within the next month either.  In my case, here's what it comes down to: They apparently employ the worst contractors in town and then let them get away with not doing their jobs right.  Furthermore, they don't manage the contractors, they just set them loose and never check back in with them.

A new building management company just took over around there, so hopefully all this incompetence will change soon.

And as for Delaware St, I love the place.  They're looking at starting a very small business association, unrelated to the RMBA, just for the street.  One of the things the DSBA (Delaware Street Business Association) is trying to do is "Make Delaware Street the Greenest street in Kansas City."  I don't know how many iniatives they're going to actually implement, but I'm working with them to put together ideas.  Its quite exciting.
Last edited by mildweed on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

mildweed wrote: And as for Delaware St, I love the place.  They're looking at starting a very small business association, unrelated to the RMBA, just for the street.  One of the things the DSBA (Delaware Street Business Association) is trying to do is "Make Delaware Street the Greenest street in Kansas City."  I don't know how many iniatives they're going to actually implement, but I'm working with them to put together ideas.  Its quite exciting.
That's good news. There is no reason Delaware shouldn't be among the most vibrant streets in the city. It is the only street to offer a leafy traffic-calmed corridor with turn-of-the-century buildings and mid-rise residential all around. This should be the living room of the River Market.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I wish they would get a cool used bookstore like the one on 39th and a used records place...but I guess those are two dieing entities...:(
VELO DOOM
Pad site
Pad site

Post by VELO DOOM »

mildweed wrote: Wow, that's a crazy site.

KCRag would prefer not providing personal addresses of people like that.  Thanks.

Anyways, my gripe is with their maintenance / improvements.  As a part of my purchase contract there was an improvement included.  Now, 8 months later, it still isn't done and doesn't look like it'll be done within the next month either.  In my case, here's what it comes down to: They apparently employ the worst contractors in town and then let them get away with not doing their jobs right.  Furthermore, they don't manage the contractors, they just set them loose and never check back in with them.

A new building management company just took over around there, so hopefully all this incompetence will change soon.

And as for Delaware St, I love the place.  They're looking at starting a very small business association, unrelated to the RMBA, just for the street.  One of the things the DSBA (Delaware Street Business Association) is trying to do is "Make Delaware Street the Greenest street in Kansas City."  I don't know how many iniatives they're going to actually implement, but I'm working with them to put together ideas.  Its quite exciting.
word!  the maintenance blows. I've said it before and I'll say it again.  They finally came in and patched the spot where the roof was leaking, did a half ass job and they still haven't painted it the wall color.  They keep saying its on the list of shit to do but I'm not holding my breath.  I'm not holding my breath one of those jack-offs will get on the roof and take care of the wasp nest above my window either.  Eh, in any case as soon as my lease is up next year I'm gone. 

Greenest streets huh?  One of the investors of this place doesn't like the look of bicycles chained to the poles out front.  If anything I think that would give this place some "green" street cred or something.  Just wanted to throw that funny bit of info out there. 
great men live dangerously, small men don't take chances.
mildweed
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mildweed »

Bike racks are certainly one of the things on the list.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCMax wrote: I don't think cockroaches poop, do they?
No, that is most likely from the bats.  Especially since it is on a vertical surface.  When bats are about to land, they poop as they fly to the perch, which means a poop projectile.  And it's sticky, so it adheres to vertical surfaces.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Wow, if I ever have any Bat questions, you are the guy I’m going to ask.  Great answer!
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I did some reading up after I stepped on one in my basement.
ksu01
Surface Lot

Post by ksu01 »

I am considering buying at DE Lofts.  Mildweed, I would be curious to see your thougths on the place now.  You seemed happy at first but not so much lately.  Do you regret purchasing your unit now? 

Any help would be appreciated. 
mildweed
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mildweed »

Slightly in-depth email coming your way.
Short version: Love the place, love the people.  Building management isn't bad, but it isn't great.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

My sister has been living there for a couple of months now.  She has been very positive in comments about the management and enjoys the very personable staff.  I don't think she has really had any significant maintenance that has needed to be done yet, though, and she bought from the previous owner, not DE, so maybe she just doesn't have much of a frame of reference.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Looks like DE is still trying to convert rentals to condos. I can't totally determine what is for sale and what is not on their website - they all have the same blurry pictures, etc. Seems strange to me, but I do like this area and want to know more.

Does anyone have more recent information/experiences on them? Are they currently all rentals and I'd be buying an occupied space or are they vacant? Tax records show most of them are still owned by DE.
KCTonicClassic
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCTonicClassic »

Does anyone know if they will allow you to purchase side by side units and convert them into a double unit?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCTonicClassic wrote:Does anyone know if they will allow you to purchase side by side units and convert them into a double unit?

I'm willing to wager real money, that such a request will be readily accomodated. Ask Courtney Beaumont, the agent there, and he probably wash your car, polish your shoes, cook you breakfast in bed, host a happy hour in your honor, name his children after you (don't hold your breath on this one), wear an apron and nothing else whilst cleaning your double-wide (try to talk him out of this one) and serve as grand marshall of the Delaware Street dog parade held on the day of your closing.
KCTonicClassic
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCTonicClassic »

and serve as grand marshall of the Delaware Street dog parade held on the day of your closing.
Only if my Skywalker gets to be Homecoming King!