crossroads lofts queries.

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

crossroads lofts queries.

Post by chrizow »

i know that i have started at least one thread concerning my desire to buy real estate in kcmo, but due to the complete failure of the search function on this forum, i can't find them.  so i am starting anew. 

the initial hurdle was making the rather important decision between a house and a loft.  i think i have finally decided that buying an old house would be my preference, but i simply do not have the time, expertise, or patience to deal with things that can and do go wrong in an old house.  the next-preferable choice would be to buy a lot in westside or something and build a "dwell" style mod house, but that seems like an awful lot to take on as well. 

thus, i think i just need to get a loft.  i have a STRONG preference for the crossroads area, but i guess i would consider a killer building in the river market as well.  for whatever reason, i have little to no desire to live inside the loop.

i am particuarly enamored with the Piper Lofts and Windows Lofts projects, but i have not been inside very many Crossroads loft buildings and i don't really have my finger on the pulse of the area.  i just looked at the Campbell Lofts site but there isn't much info there.  are these places good?  are they even for sale anymore? 

the question is:  if you were looking for a loft in the crossroads in the 250-350K range, where would you look and why?/b]
Last edited by chrizow on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: crossroads lofts queries.

Post by DaveKCMO »

1 or 2 bedroom?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i would much prefer 2 bedroom, but a 2-bed unit with a good view would probably be out of my price range.

i just saw the piper lofts model unit on reece nichols and i am very, very interested.  i like that the kitchen and bathroom finishes are more modern and not like something you see in a nice house in JoCo.
Last edited by chrizow on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

The Piper Lofts are a great project...as is Windows.  But I don't think Windows comes with parking.  I could be wrong and that could have changed.  I would have bought at Piper instead of Wallstreet if there had been a good grassy dog area close by.  You could totally get a nice 2 bedroom unit there in that price range.

Kenna and Joe are great agents and should be able to show you the building and tell you more about the property.  I love the fact that it used to be the Lee Jeans factory.  My great aunt put together overalls there during WWII.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

You seem to move a lot :)
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

lock+load wrote: You seem to move a lot :)
haha not really, but i do create threads about moving a lot.  i moved from columbia to my parents' house in raytown in may 06, moved to the garment district in december 06, then moved to west plaza in august 07.  :) 

i think Piper Lofts is by far my #1 choice due to the location, finishes, etc.  i am just trying to get a feel for whether there are other "must see" buildings as well.  what about Freighthouse?
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

the next-preferable choice would be to buy a lot in westside or something and build a "dwell" style mod house
Have you consider get a general contractor that would manage the project?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

You could get an architect-designed prefab.  There are a few vacant lots here and there in cool areas.  Just the other day I noticed 3-4 lots for sale in Longfellow/Dutch Hill, a.k.a. Womyn Town. There are probably a few on the Westside, Columbus Park, etc.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

dangerboy wrote: Just the other day I noticed 3-4 lots for sale in Longfellow/Dutch Hill, a.k.a. Womyn Town.
discuss.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I can't say anything for sure about lots, but here's a great resource for prefab:

http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/fablisthome.htm
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we checked into buying lots in KCK ($350!) and building a rocio romero kit home (not prefab). you'd end up spending as much on a 2BR condo and get the same amount of space. single family homes are not as energy efficient, so we decided to stay with condo buildings.

regardless, if that is your price range you can totally afford a 2BR/2BA unit in the crossroads. piper is great because you can get a balcony and the standard finish and amenities are super-sweet (saltwater rooftop pool. check unit #4... it's the smallest 2BR. there are other things available, too... including my own loft around march!
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

I personally ruled out the condo because I can buy a house in hospital hill or columbus park for half the cost, have twice the space, and no hoa. I've been looking for months, was planning to buy this summer.

There are three awesome, 3 story, brick houses at 8th and Troost. I wish they were listed online, but they aren't. I went to the open house. Not a good block but once east village takes off, I'm sure the value would skyrocket.

They have brick walls on the interior, exposed ventilation, granite and stainless, all the bullshit. New everything. Floor 2 is a bed and bath, floor 3 is a bed and bath, 1st floor kitchen, living, half bath. Full unfinished basement. It's close to the mission, so bum traffic is the downside. I'm personally fine with a little grit. 2 blocks away you can spend 130k at the manhattan and have a nice hotel room and a $200 hoa due every month. These houses are listed at $145(needs some work, they offered to complete), $175(needs paint and light fixtures), and $195k (complete).

Hospital hill has a few $125-175k treasures hidden among the $250-300k houses.

This is just my conclusion. If you want low maintenance and don't desire the space, condo could be for you.

Looks like OKC might be in my near future so I don't know if I'll be sticking around til the summer.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

don't forget taxes! most downtown condos are abated for 10-25 years. HOA is equitable to what you'd spend keeping up a single-family home and the utilities that are typically included (in my case: insurance, trash, sewer/water, cooking gas, snow removal, lawn/landscaping). you also can't buy a single-family home in the crossroads or the loop, so close proximity to galleries/restaurants/arenas may trump any cost-savings for many people. i know i certainly wouldn't trade that for more place to put stuff i don't need.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: don't forget taxes! most downtown condos are abated for 10-25 years. HOA is equitable to what you'd spend keeping up a single-family home and the utilities that are typically included (in my case: insurance, trash, sewer/water, cooking gas, snow removal, lawn/landscaping). you also can't buy a single-family home in the crossroads or the loop, so close proximity to galleries/restaurants/arenas may trump any cost-savings for many people. i know i certainly wouldn't trade that for more place to put stuff i don't need.
the more i think about it, the more i think you and i are going to be neighbors. 

FUCK YEAH
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Piper should be nice.  In that price range, there are also a few Western Auto units.  If you want unique and in the heart of the action, there is one unit for sale at the Popcorn Lofts.  It's really a stand-alone, single-unit building, so it's almost like having your own house.  No amenities or views, but really unique.  Could probably be had for under $250k and leave some $ for redecorating and hip furniture.

In the River Market, there are a few units at Conover Place and First & Main in that price range as well.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: what about Freighthouse?
Which one?  :)  There are at least three builings that go by variations of "Freighthouse lofts"  There is the Safeway building which has gone condo and I don't think there is much left in.  There is Stuart Hall - which won't go condo until the end of '09.  And there is the building in between them, which has some really nice units that seem to be about half sold, but will likely be at the upper end of your range or more. 
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Chrizow you're moving up in the world, you used to ask about places in the 150K to 175K range.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Chrizow -

don't forget to check out First + Main lofts on the river...some of my favorites in the city market area and very reasonably priced.  A lot of exposed brick/beams, huge windows and a slick (and modern) standard finish package.

Freighthouse Lofts have some cool features, including awesome weathered hardwood floors on some of  the lower level units, but the building is too short and too far behind the Mcgowan/Walsh building to the north (piper?) to have any solid views, unless the rear-view of Union Station and the train yards appeals to you (which is possible, it's somewhat cool in it's own way).  Great location though.

The M/W building (again, Piper, I think. I get it confused with Windows) on 20th is pretty sweet.  The rooftop pool and north facing views alone might be worth it, and the selection of finishes is top notch.  Obviously great Xroads location.

If you get a chance, check out 41 Penn is Westport.  They've done a great job with that project (aside from a complete lack of amenities - but the flip side is low HOAs), and the location and huge concrete balconies are awesome if you could live amidst the Westport scene.  Again, nice finishes, and the very lively street life on Pennsylvania and first floor retail make up a vibrant package.

Good luck, it's always exciting when you're house/condo shopping!
are we spinning free?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

anyone have thoughts on W Lofts - 1803 Wyandotte, the building across from YJ's with the colorful balconies?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

sweet location, the unit on the first floor that's always open on First Fridays is smallish but very cool.  I don't know much about prices, amenities, etc.  I always loved the idea of living on such a vibrant street, especially on FFs and during the fashion show, but I could see how it might get tiring for some.  The PAC will no doubt make W lofts one of the more desirable developments in the Xroads at some point.
are we spinning free?