Finding my niche in KC

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Finding my niche in KC

Post by Jess »

I've noticed that most posts under this subforum seem to be about housing, but I've got that handled, and have some other lifestyle/activity-related questions.  I posted this on the KC subforum on city-data's forums, and got a big fat zilch response, but this seems like a more savvy board. 

I'm about to relocate to KC to start a new job, and am going to be looking for the following over the next couple of months,in the city itself as opposed to suburbs:

1. A place to continue yoga. I've been doing hatha yoga for about a year and a half weekly with a small class, as well as on my own, so I'm at beginner-intermediate level.

2. A new church, ELCA Lutheran denomination. Prefer something that's not a mega-large church, with a reasonably strong (okay, I'll settle for present) young adult contingent (I'd also appreciate it if snide comments about religion etc. weren't directed at me...perhaps I'm presuming the worst, and if so, I apologize, but it wouldn't be the first time to get flamed for saying "church" on a forum).

3. Anything resembling a choir or chorale to participate in. I haven't sung regularly with an ensemble for a few years, so I don't really have the chops right now to audition into anything right now, but a community chorale (or even a church that has a decent choir, see preferences above) would be good.

4. A relatively inexpensive fitness center (Y is fine).

I'll be centering most of my activities around the Westport and Plaza areas, so that's the area of town that would be ideal for each. I'm also looking for info on craigslist, but thought I'd see if anybody here had any suggestions.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.  I'm moving in with my SO, and he's lived in the Plaza for a while, but he's neither a churchgoer nor a yoga enthusiast, so he's not the biggest font of info on those fronts.  He is a musician, but instrumental, not vocal. If anybody's in the know, I'd love any and all advice.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Finding my niche in KC

Post by KC0KEK »

Jess wrote: 2. A new church, ELCA Lutheran denomination. Prefer something that's not a mega-large church, with a reasonably strong (okay, I'll settle for present) young adult contingent (I'd also appreciate it if snide comments about religion etc. weren't directed at me...perhaps I'm presuming the worst, and if so, I apologize, but it wouldn't be the first time to get flamed for saying "church" on a forum).
See www.elca.org/FindaChurch. I think there's a Lutheran church on Rainbow, near KU Med, but I don't remember if it's ELCA.

There are more ELCA than LCMS churches around the metro, so you should be able to find at least one in the urban core.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I believe there's a yoga place across from Cupini's in that strip mall on State Line and 47th.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is a YMCA on Washington between 10th and 11th on Quality Hill.  A yoga place just opened on SW Boulevard in the Crossroads, and I think there is another one on Wyandotte north of 18th Street.
There is no fifth destination.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

There is an ELCA church on Westport Road (43rd Street) two blocks east of State Line Road, near the Plaza and Westport.  I've heard they have a lot of young families.

The closest Y is Downtown in the Quality Hill neighborhood, about 3-4 miles north.

There is a yoga studio on West 39th Street just west of Southwest Trafficay, about 1/2 mile west of Westport.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Isn't there a Y at 31st and Main?
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

Welcome to KC!  Here are some ideas regarding choir and church-

Choir: Grace & Holy Trinity Cathedral downtown (just minutes from Plaza/Westport) has a marvelous choir.  John Schafer is choir master, and his capabilities are quite respected here and around the country.  Give the choir a listen and I betcha you'll be as bowled over as I am.  Plus, they bring lots of talent in from outside the area.  Check out their website for more and better info :)   http://www.ghtc-kc.org/

Lutheran Church: Sorry i'm not so up on the different offshoots enough to know the difference from one to the next, but i've attended Immanual Lutheran church at 1700 Westport Rd. a couple of times and I really enjoyed it. It's laid back, has a beautifully diverse membership and thus they have a sparkling sense of community there.  # is (816) 931-8483
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

Here's the website for the Immanual Lutheran Church http://www.immanuelkc.org
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I would recommend Scott Fitness (http://www.scottfitness.com/).  They have locations at Westport Road and State Line and two more in the River Market.  Plus -- I think -- another opening in the Crossroads.  It's $40 per month (on a month-to-month basis), open 24 hours, and provides towel service and classes as part of the membership fee.  The folks that run it seem pretty groovy and it's a pretty mixed crowd.  Their slogan is "fewer meatheads and hardly any dipshits."  They also have a once-weekly yoga class in the River Market location.  Nothing fancy, nothing I couldn't do at home, but plenty strenuous for me, and folks at all levels of ability.

Cupini's is at 43rd and State Line (aka Westport and State Line), but the yoga place across the street has moved to the location on 39th street.  The location across from Cupini's is now Scott Fitness.

I've also heard good things about Immanuel Lutheran, which I think is probably the location KC0KEK was talking about.  It is ELCA.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

alpha_glamourina wrote:
Lutheran Church: Sorry i'm not so up on the different offshoots enough to know the difference from one to the next, but i've attended Immanual Lutheran church at 1700 Westport Rd. a couple of times and I really enjoyed it. It's laid back, has a beautifully diverse membership and thus they have a sparkling sense of community there.  # is (816) 931-8483
Thank you so much!  And thanks to splash, too...Immanuel is an ELCA church (most Immanuels are), and diverse membership and strong community sounds right up my alley.  I think this may be the church my boyfriend mentioned, and it's fairly near where I'll be living, so bonus!

I also will be working downtown, so working out and/or doing yoga adjacent to that before or after work may be a possibility.  I will be on a budget (working for a nonprofit), so less expensive yoga/fitness options are most welcome.  If I can't make the dollar stretch, I'll be biking and walking for fitness, but I figured it was worth a shot.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

heatherkay wrote: I would recommend Scott Fitness (http://www.scottfitness.com/).  They have locations at Westport Road and State Line and two more in the River Market.  Plus -- I think -- another opening in the Crossroads.  It's $40 per month (on a month-to-month basis), open 24 hours, and provides towel service and classes as part of the membership fee.  The folks that run it seem pretty groovy and it's a pretty mixed crowd.  Their slogan is "fewer meatheads and hardly any dipshits."  They also have a once-weekly yoga class in the River Market location.  Nothing fancy, nothing I couldn't do at home, but plenty strenuous for me, and folks at all levels of ability.
I like it on the slogan alone.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Isn't there a Y at 31st and Main?
Nope.  I think the Y might have some child care programs at the Children's Campus there, but not a fitness center.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

splash wrote: Here's the website for the Immanual Lutheran Church http://www.immanuelkc.org
Thanks for finding that, splash.  After following the link, I see that it's an ELCA.  Cool.    8)
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Thanks too, BTW, for no crappy "bait the church girl" posts!  I knew this forum was cooler than that!
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

:lol: 

Nah, here at this forum you'll get blindsided by something more creative- and less obvious- than being the Church Girl, I promise!  :P :lol:
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Jess wrote: Thanks too, BTW, for no crappy "bait the church girl" posts!  I knew this forum was cooler than that!
Don't put down your guard.  We're not nice, just slow.

Hatha Yoga is available thru Baila! Westside.  they are located at the corner of 17th and Belleview (925 West 17th Street.  You can visit www.bailawestside.com for all the details.

Welcome!.......
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: Nope.  I think the Y might have some child care programs at the Children's Campus there, but not a fitness center.
Ahh - I think I had just seen the Y logo on the cornor - I didn't know what was actually inside.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

loftguy wrote: Don't put down your guard.  We're not nice, just slow.

Hatha Yoga is available thru Baila! Westside.  they are located at the corner of 17th and Belleview (925 West 17th Street.  You can visit www.bailawestside.com for all the details.

Welcome!.......
Heh, I've been lurking, no worries. 
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

loftguy wrote: Don't put down your guard.  We're not nice, just slow.
Welcome!.......
Maybe that should be on the KCRAG masthead...
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bbqboy wrote: Maybe that should be on the KCRAG masthead...
How about at the entries to the metro area?