Walk Score - How walkable is your house?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Walk Score - How walkable is your house?

Post by rxlexi »

the Plaza does add tremendously to the walkability of the surrounding residential areas, although sometimes I wonder if everybody else realizes it.  My gf's place at 46th and Main is absolutely wonderful...we can (and do, often) walk out the door to the wide variety of Plaza shops, restaurants and bars, westport, the Kemper and Nelson, plaza library, Mill Creek, Loose and Southmoreland parks, Wild Oats/Berbiglia on Main, and even over to UMKC/51st shops.  None of this is more than 10-15 minute walk except maybe westport.  Southmoreland is pretty close to an ideal neighborhood.  And yet we see few folks walking that aren't simply out with the dog or for exercise.  Ahh, that's KC for you.  I suppose my point is that our urban core, and in particualr the Plaza area, really is very walkable and denser than many give it credit for, particularly when taking account of the MAX spine.  However, that potential is a long way from being realized...the KC aversion to walking to a destination in full-effect.
are we spinning free?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

rxlexi wrote: the Plaza does add tremendously to the walkability of the surrounding residential areas, although sometimes I wonder if everybody else realizes it.  My gf's place at 46th and Main is absolutely wonderful...we can (and do, often) walk out the door to the wide variety of Plaza shops, restaurants and bars, westport, the Kemper and Nelson, plaza library, Mill Creek, Loose and Southmoreland parks, Wild Oats/Berbiglia on Main, and even over to UMKC/51st shops.  None of this is more than 10-15 minute walk except maybe westport.  Southmoreland is pretty close to an ideal neighborhood.  And yet we see few folks walking that aren't simply out with the dog or for exercise.  Ahh, that's KC for you.  I suppose my point is that our urban core, and in particualr the Plaza area, really is very walkable and denser than many give it credit for, particularly when taking account of the MAX spine.  However, that potential is a long way from being realized...the KC aversion to walking to a destination in full-effect.

absolutely, that area of kansas city, while not having the density of a wicker park, chicago, offers a somewhat similar concentration of amenities, if on a smaller scale. in addition, 39th street is a bit of a hike from southmoreland, but at least it is a "walkable" 1/2 hour walk.
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

YAHOO Pendleton Heights gets a 75!  That explains why I need not drive except only to get to work.  I love where I live!!! :lol:(insert cheesy grin here)
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

My house rates 32, but the light traffic and abundant sidewalks makes it quite adequate from an exercise standpoint.
A fool and your money are soon united.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

This is cool, people are starting to advertise their home's Walk Score in real estate listings.
More than a million addresses were searched in the site’s first month. Matt Lerner, one of the site’s developers, knew the concept had arrived when a condo in Seattle hung out a gigantic banner that said “Walk Score 100.” “People react really negatively to phrases like ‘density,’ ” he says, “but they react really positively to phrases like ‘walkability.’ ”
http://blog.smartgrowthamerica.org/?p=186
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

92 for our condo at 46th & Walnut  :D
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

kclofter wrote: 92 for our condo at 46th & Walnut  :D
Plaza scores the highest of any KC neighborhood that I have tried.
lucuspukus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by lucuspukus »

I got a 54-Hyde Park.

Guess that's bad, but I walk about 2-3 miles and it looks like this only calculates w/in about 1 mile.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote:75 for me.
mine is now 86.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

They need to update the database.  There are a lot of new things in last year not listed and it shows places that have been closed for a while.

Still shows a score of 95 for me, between Westport/Plaza.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ignatius wrote: They need to update the database.  There are a lot of new things in last year not listed and it shows places that have been closed for a while.

Still shows a score of 95 for me, between Westport/Plaza.
Easily the most walkable place in the entire region.  One of the few urban neighborhoods with a critical mass of walkable services.  Practical things like pharmacies and barbers in addition to the bars and restaurants.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Westport/Broadway has the highest score I have found - 97.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I plugged in my sisters' new address just east of Broadway on 39th and got a 98/100.
lucuspukus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by lucuspukus »

Man, my walk score picks up the Tivoli theatre, but NONE of the places in westport, Bunker, Antique store, all of those restaurants. It's not picking up the Nelson, either.

It's too bad, because I know my area is really walkable and that it would show up well when/if I decide to sell my house.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Kansas City: 7th least walkable US city.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/07 ... cities.php
Top 10 Least Walkable U.S. Cities
1. Jacksonville
2. Nashville
3. Charlotte
4. Indianapolis
5. Oklahoma City
6. Memphis
7. Kansas City
8. Fort Worth
9. El Paso
10. Mesa
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

well duh, kcmo city area wise is  nearly 90pct suburban.  different story in urban core as walkability score shows..
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Yet the Plaza and Westport rank near the top of the national list of individual neighborhoods.

http://letsgokc.com/archives/79
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Finally gout around to this...

KC house '77 out of 100 —  Very Walkable' (Roanoke on Valentine RD)

DC House '97 out of 100 —  Walkers' Paradise'  I'm suprised...I live in Downtown Silver Spring, MD---{My friends live here and it is much cheaper than DC...I wish I lived in a row house or loft, but hey, maybe when I make more $$...it's still walkable anyway.} {at least on work on the hill}
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

My new house in Waldo only got a 65, very surprising.  There is nothing I will need that I can't walk to, I'm 2 blocks from 75th and Wornall.  Even more strange, my Union Hill apt got a 71 and I can tell you I drive much more for goods in my Union Hill apt than I will in Waldo.  I think it's a quality factor.  I mean, the book store they list for Union Hill is Desert Wisdon on Gilham.  Groceries?  Not exactly.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the walkability detector is clearly broken on that thing. 

btw, my house in south hyde park got a 65.  sounds about right.