Western Auto Lofts

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Western Auto Lofts

Post by DaveKCMO »

cknab1 wrote: If anyone at Western Auto can tell me, was Signature management company the original management there and were they fired and replaced by Curry.  I'm investigating Signature for a bid on the property where I live and any background info on them would be helpful.  Also any info on Curry would be apreciated.
we've been working with curry for the entire life of our building (5 years in june) and have had great managers. they've been particularly adept at helping us navigate a tolling agreement with the builder.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

Signature was fine, but I think we went with Curry due to cost.  Both seem equal to me
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: we've been working with curry for the entire life of our building (5 years in june) and have had great managers. they've been particularly adept at helping us navigate a tolling agreement with the builder.
Curious Dave, what is a tolling agreement?
hoghead

Post by hoghead »

Western Auto's board fired SIGNATURE they did nothing to help anyone.They couldn't even get the janitors to clean.The property manager was supposed to be there 4 hours a day and couldn't even do that.Curry is in place now,a much much better outfit. well worth a little extra money.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Thanks, that is good info and when I meet with Signature, I will ask about that.  Curry has been with Crown Center for 30 years and I just think it is time we got another bid.  Signature does operate in the 21st century and I really like that.  In our case Curry is stuck in the 70's  We will give them both an honest shot.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I thought I saw a banner advertising something coming soon in one of the windows of the actual Western Auto building, not it's kin next door.  Anyone see what it is coming or did my eyes play tricks?
Last edited by PumpkinStalker on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I thought I thought a banner advertising something coming soon in one of the windows of the actual Western Auto building, not it's kin next door.  Anyone see what it is coming or did my eyes play tricks?
no tricks. i don't recall what it said, but it was something that i didn't find particularly useful or interesting. good to have that space finally filled, though!
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Curry has been doing a much better job with managing my building, it was CohenEsrey beforehand.  But watch out, Curry can make recommendations that benefit themselves, not the building owners, such as upgrading things prematurely that make it easier for them to maintain.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

There is going to be a nice flower shop in the 2107 Grand building.  I can remember the name of the business, but I hope it does well. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Whatever happened to the coffeeshop?  A sign has been posted for months.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

ignatius wrote: But watch out, Curry can make recommendations that benefit themselves, not the building owners, such as upgrading things prematurely that make it easier for them to maintain.
Ahhhh...KC condo owners are now getting the big picture.  Board members, please remember to check those monthly statements from mgmt company about all the separate trips out to property to fix individual items.  But their monthly mgmt fees are sooooo reasonable - "oh, they charge time for travel - whoooops???!!!" :shock:
snarf
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snarf »

Coffee shop has been open for around a month now.  Come check it out.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

cknab1 wrote:So is it true that when a light burns out in the Western Auto sign, the owners have to take turns replacing the bulbs?
So I've notice the sign isn't being taken care of lately. Likely not cheap to maintain. Any inside scoop? Did they drop maintaining altogether?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they're planning on a crowdfunding effort to restore. apparently the HOA (residents) has to pay for all of it right now.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

A sign guy told me they converted it to LED about a year ago.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

taxi wrote:A sign guy told me they converted it to LED about a year ago.
the HOA president told me the opposite.
mykn

Post by mykn »

From what I've been told, the Western Auto building underwent a full building survey a while ago to determine their maintenance plan for the next 20 (I think) years and they are going to have some yuge expenses in the upcoming years. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to slow down on maintaining it.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mykn wrote:From what I've been told, the Western Auto building underwent a full building survey a while ago to determine their maintenance plan for the next 20 (I think) years and they are going to have some yuge expenses in the upcoming years. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to slow down on maintaining it.
They are massive commercial buildings. Of course the maintenance $ are huge. Especially over 20 years.

However, just saying 'it's too expensive-let's stop doing it', is a fools path.

Dollars spent to maintain, come back in value. Dollars not spend, compound in loss of value.
mykn

Post by mykn »

loftguy wrote:
mykn wrote:From what I've been told, the Western Auto building underwent a full building survey a while ago to determine their maintenance plan for the next 20 (I think) years and they are going to have some yuge expenses in the upcoming years. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to slow down on maintaining it.
They are massive commercial buildings. Of course the maintenance $ are huge. Especially over 20 years.

However, just saying 'it's too expensive-let's stop doing it', is a fools path.

Dollars spent to maintain, come back in value. Dollars not spend, compound in loss of value.
I agree, the less you maintain it, the more expensive it's going to be in the long run. I'm not sure if that's the true reason why, but I can understand why an HOA would choose to do that when they have a lot of other fires to put out.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I got clarification on the sign: they plan to replace the bulbs with LEDs, the arrow outline and clear red outline of the letters will remain neon.

It is not uncommon for condo developers to underestimate maintenance costs in an effort to keep HOA fees low to attract buyers. I've seen this happen many times. If you're going to buy a condo, read the decs and by-laws and compare things like fees to similar buildings that are functioning properly. They are certainly not all the same.