Western Auto Lofts

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Western Auto Lofts

Post by hawkgolfer »

I currently own a loft in the building and love it.  Does anyone think the value of lofts will go up substantially once the P&L District is open and people realize how wonderful downtown can be?  Or will the value go down since more condos are going to be built in the area (saturation)?  I have been debating this for quite some time and can't quite come up with the answer.  What do you all think?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Western Auto Lofts

Post by bahua »

I think the P&L district will a peripheral effect on Western Auto Lofts, due to distance. As more things appear on that part of Grand though, and as the Crossroads continues to expand eastward, Western Auto should be in good shape, I think.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think light rail could help immensely depending on where the route goes.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

I guess one thing I am trying to convince myself of is that it would be stupid to sell now.  Agree???
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yes. 

if you dont want to live in it, rent it out!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It's almost always asinine to move into a place, and then move out just because the value drops.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

Oh, it hasnt went down in value at all, its went up about 40k since I bought it 2.5 years ago.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Well then if you love it, what's to ask about?
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

The value is also important to me because I am a young punk and the equity in it will allow me to purchase something bigger.  A 920 sq ft one bedroom loft will only last so long, especially if I get married or something like that. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

hawkgolfer wrote: The value is also important to me because I am a young punk and the equity in it will allow me to purchase something bigger.  A 920 sq ft one bedroom loft will only last so long, especially if I get married or something like that. 
try a 550 sq foot studio!  :)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

hawkgolfer wrote: A 920 sq ft one bedroom loft will only last so long, especially if I get married or something like that. 
I don't see how it would be inadequate for two married people. With kids though, I can see that it'd be too small. I don't think that should be an immediate concern though. Even if your place loses 50K of value, you'll still have more than enough to buy a house outside downtown.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

^

in cities like KC, many young persons and young couples have the capability to purchase 3,000 sq foot homes in the burbs!  obviously an entirely different animal, but i think that sort of space tempts people.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think 900-1000 sq ft is just about perfect.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bahua wrote: I think 900-1000 sq ft is just about perfect.
I agree. More room than that and you have to buy furniture to fill it up, and its a hassle to clean. A loft is fine for a married couple so long as there is another room to get away from each other. And even if you don't have that, at least you're within walking distance of a small park, lots of bars and restaurants to just get away from your significant other!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

Well the GF stays at my place alot, so she has clothes, etc, etc there and it def makes the place more congested.  If I had a two bedroom unit with a little more room, then it would be a non issue.  Im not complaining at all, just thinking ahead is all
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i assume by "second-bedroom" you mean "walk-in closet!"  :lol:  insatiable!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

hawkgolfer wrote: I currently own a loft in the building and love it.  Does anyone think the value of lofts will go up substantially once the P&L District is open and people realize how wonderful downtown can be?  Or will the value go down since more condos are going to be built in the area (saturation)?  I have been debating this for quite some time and can't quite come up with the answer.  What do you all think?
Prices seem poised for a rise, barring negative national economic events.  KC downtown residential is generally underpriced compared to comparable communities (size/cost of living/pay scale/amenities).

I'm telling friends, that can, to wait to sell until 2nd quarter of 2008.  The level of attention that is going to come to downtown KC over the next 12 months is going to create significant new awareness, locally and beyond.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

loftguy wrote: Prices seem poised for a rise, barring negative national economic events.  KC downtown residential is generally underpriced compared to comparable communities (size/cost of living/pay scale/amenities).

I'm telling friends, that can, to wait to sell until 2nd quarter of 2008.  The level of attention that is going to come to downtown KC over the next 12 months is going to create significant new awareness, locally and beyond.
Yeah, my buddies from Denver and Chicago have about fell over when I told them how cheaply I was able to buy mine.  They said it would be worth double or more in their cities
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

bahua wrote: I think 900-1000 sq ft is just about perfect.
Ugg, I could not imagine moving back into something that small. My first loft with my fiance was around 950 square feet and we were on top of one another.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Moniker wrote: Ugg, I could not imagine moving back into something that small. My first loft with my fiance was around 950 square feet and we were on top of one another.
Nothin' wrong with that.  :)