Western Auto Lofts

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
mykn

Re: Western Auto Lofts

Post by mykn »

taxi wrote:I got clarification on the sign: they plan to replace the bulbs with LEDs, the arrow outline and clear red outline of the letters will remain neon.

It is not uncommon for condo developers to underestimate maintenance costs in an effort to keep HOA fees low to attract buyers. I've seen this happen many times. If you're going to buy a condo, read the decs and by-laws and compare things like fees to similar buildings that are functioning properly. They are certainly not all the same.
This is very, very true.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

This showed up on reddit too recently. According to the posts there, the scaffolding isn't OSHA compliant or something.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

What are the current HOA dues? And what would be the projected fees?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

have seen a few of these while we've been mildly condo shopping lately. it sounds like maybe the financials aren't in the best shape judging solely from comments from people in various places online from 2016-2019. that's a pure guess on my part, no independent confirmation. i'm not particularly surprised to see that their HOA fees are higher per unit because it's spread out across three old buildings. plus, copaken is the property manager, and they can't be cheap.

anyway i'm here to ask the real important question: does anyone know whether there's some bizarre HOA bylaw or rule that says everyone has to keep those god awful fireplaces in these units?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I recall hearing that the cost of maintaining and lighting the historic neon roof sign adds to costs as well. That's why I don't think the sign is on all the time.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

The sign was converted to LED, I think.
Elrod
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Elrod »

^Yes, the sign was converted to LED. See the end of this article:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/your-kc ... 15102.html
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 am have seen a few of these while we've been mildly condo shopping lately. it sounds like maybe the financials aren't in the best shape judging solely from comments from people in various places online from 2016-2019. that's a pure guess on my part, no independent confirmation. i'm not particularly surprised to see that their HOA fees are higher per unit because it's spread out across three old buildings. plus, copaken is the property manager, and they can't be cheap.

anyway i'm here to ask the real important question: does anyone know whether there's some bizarre HOA bylaw or rule that says everyone has to keep those god awful fireplaces in these units?
If you're shopping, be sure to ask for a copy of the financials, the declarations, and bylaws. They'll reveal all. That said, I can't imagine you'd be required to keep the fireplace...not as if it is part of the original building or something. I have heard that the financials have improved in the last few years, but couldn't swear to it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

reserve study too
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i don't live here or know anyone who does.

a lawsuit in jackson county was recently filed alleging, among other things, that they are looking at repairs across the three buildings in an amount of 7-to-8 figures and assessments on a per-unit basis (range of mid-to-upper five figures for the particular unit at issue).

ouch
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This is why we don't have more condos.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Always do your research before purchasing! I'm lucky/fortunate to live in a building with a very healthy HOA with low fees - especially in comparison with the already high as hell fees at Western Auto.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:50 pm This is why we don't have more condos.
which part of "this"? what is the answer?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:00 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:50 pm This is why we don't have more condos.
which part of "this"? what is the answer?
Because the HOA boards mismanage them and spend hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars (of what should be reserves) on insignificant things,
while letting maintenance be bypassed. Meaning, a special assessment is needed every few years for each unit to pay for the deferred maintenance. Special assesments on condos are typically 20-90K dollars for each unit. And if you can't pay, then you owe. Good luck.

Bigger cities with lots of condos get this, so they're managed much better. Here.. almost every condo building has this "problem"...
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

im2kull wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:40 pm Because the HOA boards mismanage them and spend hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars (of what should be reserves) on insignificant things,
while letting maintenance be bypassed. Meaning, a special assessment is needed every few years for each unit to pay for the deferred maintenance. Special assesments on condos are typically 20-90K dollars for each unit. And if you can't pay, then you owe. Good luck.

Bigger cities with lots of condos get this, so they're managed much better. Here.. almost every condo building has this "problem"...
This is a gross and inaccurate generalization.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

taxi wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:47 pm
im2kull wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:40 pm Because the HOA boards mismanage them and spend hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars (of what should be reserves) on insignificant things,

This is a gross and inaccurate generalization.
How so? Every high-rise condo in the downtown or plaza area that I've looked at in the KC area has had this exact problem. Paying special assessment's every 3-5 years is absolute mismanagement. The poor owner of the last unit I looked at paid $30K two years ago and has another $10K due this year or next for another project. There's a reason so many condos flood the market at once.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sorry but I didn't ask you and I'd rather hear what Dave was driving towards. Thanks.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:05 pm sorry but I didn't ask you and I'd rather hear what Dave was driving towards. Thanks.
I'm just relaying what people who work on the projects tell me: The litigation kills any profit so they don't build them anymore.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Lawsuits: Pricey assessments for Western Auto Lofts repairs blindsided condo buyers
One plaintiff bought a condo in May in the complex's 2015 Grand Blvd. building, a former warehouse; the other bought a unit in June in its 2029 Grand Blvd. building, which once supported offices. The two six-story buildings, plus the neighboring 12-story building adorned with the recognizable "Western Auto" sign atop 2107 Grand Blvd., were redeveloped in 2004 into 166 total condos.

Both buyers claim negligent and fraudulent representation, alleging that the defendants knew about, but failed to disclose, the need for a special assessment against all unit owners to cover roof and facade repairs at the complex's 2107 and 2015 Grand buildings before they closed on their condos.

Plaintiffs allege that they only later learned the assessment ranges: $62,640 to $83,520 for one, and $50,000 to $55,000 for the other, according to the lawsuits.
That buyer pointed to minutes from a January 2021 condo association meeting, at which the board president presented an architect's $9.5 million estimate for fixes to 2107 Grand's rooftop membrane, parapet level and water tables — a figure he indicated could change after contractor bids were received, a lawsuit exhibit shows.

"You don't want us to put that number in (the resale certificate) because that's a $9.5 million number that would scare anyone off," the board president said of prospective buyers, according to court documents.
The Western Auto Lofts have "a substantial amount of deferred maintenance that has gone on way too long, and at least the board is being very responsible in trying to get their arms around it in manageable tranches, which is what has been done over the last several years," one board member said. "Unfortunately, there is a lot more hill to climb."
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-02-04