Cold Storage Lofts

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
deskside
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Cold Storage Lofts

Post by deskside »

FangKC wrote: I'd email your city council people.  Did the buidling get TIF?
I started to reply that I'm not going to be living here long enough to take it to council but since I do want to stay in this area, and this project could ruin this area in no time flat, maybe I'll rethink that one.

Cold Storage does get tax incentives that is how they have the tiered rent scale.  I don't qualify so I pay market price to be living in what is basically becoming the projects.  I was told there would be no HUD people in here but many of the people I've talked with say they are in here on Section 8 .... is that not HUD?

Thanks for the suggestion.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

The building recieved PIEA tax abatement for a period of 25 years...  If you are looking for a sec 42 property that is well maintained, look at Dale Schulte's product.  They must have over 300 unit scattered in the RM.  Dale develops and runs a tight ship.  His latest property is on second and walnut..
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Fire here today:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 84093.html

"Firefighters were called to Cold Storage Lofts about 3:45 p.m. The fire, which was in an eighth-floor apartment in the building’s east wing, was quickly extinguished."
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

Anyone know if things have improved here of late?  I have a friend that is seriously considering moving in and she was wondering if the situation is better.  She said the person that showed her the place talked about the new manager having evicted 40 people over the last year which solved the problems.  True?
Last edited by Gretz on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Gretz wrote: Anyone know if things have improved here of late?  I have a friend that is seriously considering doing so and she was wondering if the situation is better.  She said the person that showed her the place talked about the new manager having evicted 40 people over the last year which solved the problems.  True?

Cold Storage has a new manager.  She's out to make big change.  40 evictions in 45 days.  The place got off to a rocky start, but the future looks promising.
KC_Bondsman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC_Bondsman »

Yes I have to admit things are "MUCH BETTER" does that mean compleatly cleaned up "no" there are some unresolved issues yet to come.  but I will say a VAST change from what it use to be.

The Fire by the way was cuased by a couch fire on the 8th floor east wing.  there was some fire and smoke damage, water damage was more moderate with the lofts directly below.  but clean up crews worked though out the night to resolve any flooding though other units.  KCPL, city inpection and fire marshall gave "a-ok" in 24 hours.

Regarding the evictions the new mgr has done an extensive job in removing any problems, regarding late pays, trouble makers, towing cars and any other issues that impacts the general well being of the complex.  living in cold storage for a year now.  I plan on staying another year.  I say that in still keeping a watchfull eye on its progress. but at this time I have no general complaints.

Also, There is a full time 24 hour a day Kansas City PD officer that lives and works on-site of cold storage to handle any issues.  This has greatly increased security and prompt responce of any issues that rarely come around anymore.  The Zero tolerence that new mgr has applied has greatly improved the building.  Just to give you an idea.  One person moved in with a qualified application. they had one party that got out of crontol. she evicted them 2 weeks later and they only lived in the building not even a month.  Now thats one tuff cookie of a manager.  The drinking and ciggerett smoking she does not tolerate in the hallways. and I QUOTE from the mgr "There is only 2 ways to drink, thats in your apartment or at the bar, and No where inbetween"

PEACE AT LAST!

KC_Bondsman
Last edited by KC_Bondsman on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maec55
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by maec55 »

Now if only they could fix my blasted washing machine, which has been out since October.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

In complexes with affordable housing, you need a tough cookie running the show.
There is no fifth destination.
KC_Bondsman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC_Bondsman »

maec55 wrote: Now if only they could fix my blasted washing machine, which has been out since October.
Hummm, Those euro washers are not the greatest things in the world I'll admit.  however I asked them to bring me one from another unit.  that shouldn't be your fault.  they can act quicker I think.

I think they have there service contract with Service One delt with now. You should be able to get a repair done now.
maec55
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by maec55 »

KC_Bondsman wrote: Hummm, Those euro washers are not the greatest things in the world I'll admit.  however I asked them to bring me one from another unit.  that shouldn't be your fault.  they can act quicker I think.

I think they have there service contract with Service One delt with now. You should be able to get a repair done now.
Part of the problem was there was a leak in the wall pipes too. So when the guy came out to fix the washer leak he forgot to check the wall and said it was fixed. Calling him a second time to come fix took a little time since they had to bring the contractors back in to do sheet rock repair on top of everything.

Did the sprinklers go off in the East Building when the fire happened?
KC_Bondsman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC_Bondsman »

maec55 wrote: Part of the problem was there was a leak in the wall pipes too. So when the guy came out to fix the washer leak he forgot to check the wall and said it was fixed. Calling him a second time to come fix took a little time since they had to bring the contractors back in to do sheet rock repair on top of everything.

Did the sprinklers go off in the East Building when the fire happened?
I understand.  in my second bathroom I also had a water leak comming from the Fire sprinklers pipe and caused the drywall to mold up. and yeah it took awhile for the contracter to tear the drywall out, repair the pipe and put up new drywall.

Now I have 3 leaks from the 8th floor roof once in my bedroom closet, one in my hallway, and one in my living room that drips on my couch when it rains really heavy.  The contracters are trying to fix it.  I don't think its Cold Storage so much as its the contracters seem to take there time and doing half ass work.  but its getting there.  I'm pretty presistent with my repairs and they stay on top on it pretty well.

Hopefully your situation gets fixed too.  Lori the mgr has an interests in getting all these repairs taken care of.  I can see not having a washer would really be a paine in the butt.  I couldn't imagine not having mine.

Regarding the fire:  yeah the one sprinklers head went off in the unit that had the fire.  Just the one in the living room.  Sence each sprinkler head is independent to each other.  Water did reach the other apartments down below it and next to it.  but I think the water was caused more by the fire department when they used there big maga hose, than the sprinker system.  but a select few apartments was impacted.

KC_Bondsman
davetheknave613
Surface Lot

Post by davetheknave613 »

So has the complex continued to improve?

I plan to move south of the river soon, and Cold Storage seemed interesting.  A lot of the older post that I have seen here and elsewhere suggest that it was horrible at one point in time, but now even kc_bondsman says that it's not too bad.

I'm going to check out a couple of different places, of course, but if someone could let me know how things have been going lately, I'd appreciate it.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

I dropped an apple from the top floor common area the other night...it was a complete accident...
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LindseyLohan wrote: I dropped an apple from the top floor common area the other night...it was a complete accident...
I like paint
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

i don't know how bad it actually is, but i can't imagine ever wanting to live at cold storage because of the smell of the water treatment plant across the river.  i wouldn't ever be able to open my windows, especially if i was on the north or east side.

something really needs to be done about that place (the water treatment plant).
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

shaffe wrote: i don't know how bad it actually is, but i can't imagine ever wanting to live at cold storage because of the smell of the water treatment plant across the river.  i wouldn't ever be able to open my windows, especially if i was on the north or east side.

something really needs to be done about that place (the water treatment plant).
It's not a water treatment plant.  It's a dry cleaning or starch chemicals plant from which the smell eminates. Agreed, something needs to be done about it though.  The DNA's special envoy Pumpkinstalker attended a community meeting a few months back that was called at the behest of residents, since the plant's license is coming back up for renewal soon.  Any deets, Pumpkinstalker?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It was horrible today, at least on the HOA Bridge.  Wow.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

I've been down to that area several times and have a friend in the Cold Storage Apts and haven't noticed that smell.  Guess it depends on timing and winds.  However, if you meet the income requirements, those are dang affordable and even the market rate units aren't too bad either.  More landscaping and stuff and the redesign of 2nd street will be additional bonuses too.  8)
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

The smell (mostly) comes from the waste water treatment plant that is part of National Starch and Chemical Company. And they make corn starch, and a helluva lot of it, nothing to do with the stuff you spray on shirts. They are notorious and consistent violators of the state's odor regulations. They have recently turned over management of the treatment part of their plant to a sub-contractor, and plan to build a new waste water treatment plant in the near future, which shouldn't smell at all.

The other smell, which is especially nasty when it is hot outside, comes from Darling International, which separates fat from hides, then ships both out to whoever wants that stuff.

We get those smells on this side of the river predominantly in the fall and winter and at night, when the winds come out of the north and there are less leaves on the trees to filter it and the air stays closer to the ground.

If you don't like the smell, or if you ever find it particularly offensive, you should report it. The flawed system will send an investigator out to the site, most likely several days later, to test the odor with a funny looking contraption called a olfactormeter or scentometer. Through carbon filtration, the investigator will shove some glass tubes up his/her nose and subjectively sniff and dial the meter to see if the smell violates the state's 7:1 ratio of stink to no stink. If it stinks to the required level, the offending party will get a notice of violation and may or may not receive a fine.

While this system is undoubtedly fucked up, I believe that the only way these offensive odors will go away is if the good citizens stand up and fight. So, report these stinky bastards whenever it is called for. The more, the better.

There are several ways to do this. One is to call the regional office of the MO Dept. of Natural Resources during bus. hours at 816-622-7000.

You can also file a complaint on-line at:
http://www.dnr.mo.gov/concern.htm
as well as with the local health department at:
http://www.kcmo.org/health.nsf/web/odorcomplaintform

IMHO, the best way to deal with this and other odor problems is to change the state's odor regulations. St. Louis has a complaint-driven, survey-based method of dealing with violations, which makes a lot more sense. I have begun the lengthy process of trying to get something like this implemented state-wide, but haven't gotten any support from our supposed public representative from the Air Conservation Commission, and I get distracted by the other silly things, like trying to make some money.

This is a very serious issue, though. There are presently several large developments going on within the receptor population areas that will have to smell this, and there are billions of dollars in planned investment within that same area, mostly on our Riverfront. And of course there is NKC, an area with enormous potential but plagued with an encompassing stink that has kept development away for years.

Fight the power!
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown