Aggressive panhandlers

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Aggressive panhandlers

Postby KCPowercat » Mon May 08, 2017 4:40 pm

I'll preface this with panhandling downtown and midtown is really very bearable and rare vs other cities. That being said there are a few regulars that really grind my gears.

In particular there is a couple who seem to appear for months and then disappear. He is a tall skinny black guy and she is a short larger black lady. They usually work as a team but are sometimes separate. One thing they always have in common is they are very rude and aggressive towards people. I just blow them off but I've seen them pressure so many people into giving them money. If you tell them no many times they will continue to raise their voices to get their way.

Anyways...there are a couple others but these two are a constant. Just wanted to rant I guess. I ran into her just last night again ...they love to hang around streetcar stops now and badger riders. Not much that can be done I guess but man are they annoying.

NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Aggressive panhandlers

Postby NorthOak » Mon May 08, 2017 5:57 pm

They are clearly disturbing the peace and should be jailed.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.

maison rustique
Pad site
Pad site

Postby maison rustique » Tue May 09, 2017 9:46 am

The ones I detest are the "professionals." I see them a lot in Liberty. Same people, same intersections. Often a very healthy-looking dog with them, nice backpack, cellphone, etc., but holding a sign about hungry, out of work, etc. We've lived here for almost 8 years and I've seen a couple of them for nearly that long. I have a relative who, in his teenage years, said that he and his buddies would do that when they wanted extra money.

brewcrew1000
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Postby brewcrew1000 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 am

There is only one time I really wanted to give money to a Panhandler and that was in Seattle. He had a sign that said "I'll be honest, I need money for beer"

rxlexi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Postby rxlexi » Tue May 09, 2017 12:03 pm

On an individual level this doesn't bother me; just don't give money and move along with your day. In the grand scheme of things, it makes the urban core less desirable.

If panhandling happened equally between say Plaza, downtown, Brookside, OP, Lenexa, and Leawood, wouldn't bother me. Unfortunately, like most metro social services it is KCMO's cross to bear. I do wish that were more recognized, and respected, in every large metro.

Return to “Urban Living”