Sprint Center's necessity?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

If the Sprint Center doesn't have an NBA/NHL tenant by 2009, was it a waste of money?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 110

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Sprint Center's necessity?

Post by KC-wildcat »

It's awesome that SC is profitable.  Absolutely. 

However, I've always viewed the SC as an engine that helps power the P&L and the CBD as a whole.  I think the impact the SC has on other areas DT is more important than the facility's own profit margin.  Perhaps a pro tenant would make SC less profitable.  The foot traffic generated from a pro tenant, however, will generate far more business and revenue for the surrounding areas.

May even see a team store in the retail block.  haha 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's assuming the pro team adds 50 dates, not just substitute for 50 concert dates.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Instead of offering a team everything, including the kitchen sink and first-born sons, to persuade a team to come here we may get by with offering less.

At the same time could get the right team with the right owner instead of a bad team with an owner like Charlie Finley.
Right, and I think that's utter BS. I think they'll take whatever team they can get.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: That's assuming the pro team adds 50 dates, not just substitute for 50 concert dates.
I assume that the Pro tenant will add more total calendar events.  Yes.  Perhaps there will be a slight drop in concert events due to the conflicting sports schedule.  But, it would be highly unlikely that the events would cancel eachother out for a net zero gain.  

And, the point remains, the foot traffic generated from a pro sports team will benefit the P&L and CBD much moreso than concert foot traffic.  

Not really sure how anybody could argue that SC is better as a concert venue than it would be as a concert + sports venue.  
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I am?

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: I am?
Didn't ask who.  Asked how. 

Seriously, in terms of its effect on P&L and CBD as a whole.  You think SC generates more activity, more $$$ for P&L and CBD exclusively as a concert venue?  I'm not sure how you could make this argument with a straight face. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

More events is obviously better, you are trying to pin an argument on me that I am not making.

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: More events is obviously better, you are trying to pin an argument on me that I am not making.
No, I am not.  I stated that a pro tenant is better for P&L and CBD as a whole.  Pretty basic proposition.  

In response, you stated: "that's assuming the pro team adds 50 dates, not just substitute for 50 concert dates."  

Looks to me like you don't think a pro team will add more events, and thus, won't have a more beneficial impact on CBD and P&L.  

Am I wrong?  
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just throwing out that a pro team does take away dates which could take concert dates from the arena (to another venue in the city?) and hence not add as many extra dates....I wasn't making any judgment or opinion on a pro team downtown.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Not that it matters, considering there is no pro team coming.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

mean wrote: Not that it matters, considering there is no pro team coming.
True.  This board is essentially predicated on "hypothetical" projects and scenarios.  Imagine how interesting it would be if there was real, tnagible development and rehabiliation on the drawing boards. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KC-wildcat wrote: The foot traffic generated from a pro tenant, however, will generate far more business and revenue for the surrounding areas.
Here are some items to consider.
Many pro team games are on Friday and Saturday nights and those areas are already busy on those nights.
Some games are on Sundays, either afternoons or evenings - not generally busy times for the areas but the impact may not be as great as on FRI or SAT.
Games during the week should help the area but those games should only be around 20 dates.
At the same time the area could lose about 5 concerts and maybe a few other events so subtract that business.
As stated in the article the building has to reserve dates in April, May, and early June for possible playoff games.  Usually by the time those dates are released it is too late to book other events leaving some big holes of activity during that time.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Here are some items to consider.
Many pro team games are on Friday and Saturday nights and those areas are already busy on those nights.
Some games are on Sundays, either afternoons or evenings - not generally busy times for the areas but the impact may not be as great as on FRI or SAT.
Games during the week should help the area but those games should only be around 20 dates.
At the same time the area could lose about 5 concerts and maybe a few other events so subtract that business.
As stated in the article the building has to reserve dates in April, May, and early June for possible playoff games.  Usually by the time those dates are released it is too late to book other events leaving some big holes of activity during that time.
I've read this same argument quite a few times and I don't think its true at all. When is Sprint Center ever booked both Friday AND Saturday night? Very rarely it seems. I'm looking at SC's calendar right now and the only times when Friday and Saturday nights are both booked is when they have a series of events - Curious George Live!, Monster Jam and Disney on Ice. That is only three weekends a sports tenant would be unable to play at SC on Friday/Saturday from now until March. It seems quite possible that a team can have one day (Friday/Saturday) and a concert could have the other. I mean, its not like there aren't dozens of other arenas that deal with this all the time.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Seems like most of the desireable concerts are all scheduled on weird weeknights anymore anyhow.  Thats why my old grumpy ass doesn't get to many shows anymore - too old to be partying on a schoolnight.  Its as if the promotors/bands are saying "f-u fans we all know you will come spend 75$ bucks to see us even if it is a tuesday. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: I've read this same argument quite a few times and I don't think its true at all. When is Sprint Center ever booked both Friday AND Saturday night? Very rarely it seems. I'm looking at SC's calendar right now and the only times when Friday and Saturday nights are both booked is when they have a series of events - Curious George Live!, Monster Jam and Disney on Ice. That is only three weekends a sports tenant would be unable to play at SC on Friday/Saturday from now until March. It seems quite possible that a team can have one day (Friday/Saturday) and a concert could have the other. I mean, its not like there aren't dozens of other arenas that deal with this all the time.
Evidently you don't know where my point was going and I sure don't know where you are going with yours (unless you are talking about losing concerts).  If you review Leiweke's quotes he also implies that with a sports team you will have fewer concerts, and a team would not affect just the Friday and Saturday nights, also during the week (as Lenexa states).

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/1463320.html

While landing a professional sports team as an anchor for the arena remains the ultimate goal for AEG, Leiweke said the presence of a team also could diminish its popularity as a concert venue. Now, the arena has an abundance of options to offer concert promoters.

The team?s games at the arena would remove up to 50 dates from the calendar and also would likely put much of May and June on hold because of potential playoffs, Leiweke said.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

What I'm wondering is why it matters that it takes up 50 dates on the calender since there seem to be more than 50 open dates on the calender for a sports team to occupy, including several lucrative weekend dates. I realize this gives them less leeway ("abundance of options"), but I have a hard time seeing it cost us several concerts. Its not THAT many dates, and the calendar isn't THAT packed right now. And like I said, there are other arenas around the country that somehow host NBA teams AND compete for concerts.

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCMax wrote: What I'm wondering is why it matters that it takes up 50 dates on the calender since there seem to be more than 50 open dates on the calender for a sports team to occupy.
Exactly.  The 50 sporting events would not cancel out 50 concerts.  I'm sure it is inevitable that a small handful of events would have to pass on KC because of scheduling conflicts, but let's be honest, there are still 315 remaining days from which to choose.

I would take a professional sports event over muppets on ice any day. 

Also, what do you expect Lieweke to say?  He promised a pro tenant.  He hasn't provided a pro tenant.  Bottom line.

All said, I love the fact that SC is thriving as a concert venue.  I love that the City is realizing a positive financial impact from its investment.  But don't kid yourself, SC is not reaching its full potential until hockey and/or basketball is a fixture.     
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: Exactly.  The 50 sporting events would not cancel out 50 concerts.  I'm sure it is inevitable that a small handful of events would have to pass on KC because of scheduling conflicts, but let's be honest, there are still 315 remaining days from which to choose.
Yeah, I guess it just depends on how inflexible these promoters are - is it really a situation where they are likely to say "we will only come on this one Tuesday night - take it or we are going to Omaha . . ." 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I am not sure anybody disagrees with what you guys are saying....

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah, I guess it just depends on how inflexible these promoters are - is it really a situation where they are likely to say "we will only come on this one Tuesday night - take it or we are going to Omaha . . ." 
Yeah, I just don't think the concert managers are inflexible.  They have a product to advertise and, as such, there is great incentive to hit as many markets as humanly possible during the tour.  Staple bands like Coldplay, Kings of Leon, etc. will play every damn city in America.  They'll play Omaha, KC, OKC, STL, Des Moines, etc.  They'll probably even play Wichita every once in a while.  Skipping KC, a metro of 2 million, isn't smart business for 90% of bands.  Kings of Leon essentially have a tour date five days a week.  Playing Council Bluffs, Iowa for god's sake.  

http://www.kingsofleon.com/pages/tour

Now, the mega players are a bit different.  Elton John, Celine Dion, Garth Brooks, etc.  The selective artists.  Obviously, when they have a very limited number of concert dates, scheduling conflicts will be more concerning.