Sprint Center's necessity?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.

If the Sprint Center doesn't have an NBA/NHL tenant by 2009, was it a waste of money?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 110

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Sprint Center's necessity?

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Your arguments go all over the place.  First you are talking about pro sports, then you talk about the events being "complete s---" for 15 years, and downtown, and anything else.  Of course, I get it now.  You make a statement, I counter and you lose, then to show you didn't lose you make another statement.  Classic.

As a side note, the arena did not lose two sports teams and the Big 12.  The community lost the teams due to non-support and changing sport economics.  With regards to the Big 12, it was happy with the arena but wanted more of a party atmosphere outside of the arena.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Atlantic: The Empty Arena

The spacious hockey locker room of Kansas City’s Sprint Center smells like a new-car showroom. The rubberized floor is unscuffed by skates, the walls unmarked by stick blades. Lockers stand waiting, as pristine as cabinets in a model home.

Since the Sprint Center opened in October 2007, exactly one hockey game has been played there, the St. Louis Blues against the Los Angeles Kings in a preseason exhibition last September. And while college basketball, the circus, a motivational seminar, and a number of concerts have passed through, the arena still lacks a big-league franchise. A flirtation with the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins turned out to be nothing more, while the NBA’s Seattle SuperSonics chose Oklahoma City instead. As I walk the terrazzo floor of the main concourse one morning, passing specialty food concessions, a QuikTrip convenience store, and a team retail outlet that awaits its team, the arena seems cavernously empty, as it must for all but the 10 or so days a month that it stages events. ....
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

So, do we have one more year for AEG to find a pro tenant for the SC before Sprint can take the name off the arena that could save them millions of dollars, and cost AEG millions in return?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

"The spacious hockey locker room of Kansas City’s Sprint Center smells like a new-car showroom. The rubberized floor is unscuffed by skates, the walls unmarked by stick blades. Lockers stand waiting, as pristine as cabinets in a model home.

Since the Sprint Center opened in October 2007, exactly one hockey game has been played there, the St. Louis Blues against the Los Angeles Kings in a preseason exhibition last September. And while college basketball, the circus, a motivational seminar, and a number of concerts have passed through, the arena still lacks a big-league franchise. A flirtation with the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins turned out to be nothing more, while the NBA’s Seattle SuperSonics chose Oklahoma City instead. As I walk the terrazzo floor of the main concourse one morning, passing specialty food concessions, a QuikTrip convenience store, and a team retail outlet that awaits its team, the arena seems cavernously empty, as it must for all but the 10 or so days a month that it stages events. ...."

What an ignoramus.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Your arguments go all over the place.  First you are talking about pro sports, then you talk about the events being "complete s---" for 15 years, and downtown, and anything else.  Of course, I get it now.  You make a statement, I counter and you lose, then to show you didn't lose you make another statement.  Classic.

As a side note, the arena did not lose two sports teams and the Big 12.  The community lost the teams due to non-support and changing sport economics.  With regards to the Big 12, it was happy with the arena but wanted more of a party atmosphere outside of the arena.
Kemper Arena WAS REPLACED because it sucked ass and wasn't competing well with the Ford Center and Qwest Center-- never mind AA Center in Dallas. Are you totally oblivious to the irony of you giving advice on arena events when your home arena lost numerous concerts/events in the last 15 years, 2 failed pro sports teams, and the Big XII tourney in its final years?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: With regards to the Big 12, it was happy with the arena but wanted more of a party atmosphere outside of the arena.
Which is the same as saying it was not happy with the arena.  Kemper would have been an adequate arena had it been in a better location*, but it was in a horrible spot and it was killing the city's ability to attract marquee events and tournaments.  While you say Kemper did not lose the sports franchises, I would think that those franchises would have stood a much better chance had Sprint Arena and the P&L District been in place at the time.  It just makes a better package for a night out than going to Kemper. 

*Kemper may have been adequate but I remember some key acts complaining about the poor backstage facilities.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The big 12 was not happy with kemper, location was bad too but the facility itself wasn't up to the big 12's requirements.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

If Kemper was located at the SC's location the Big 12 would have lived with it.

Yes, mistakes were made in the fixup of the 90's.  The city leaders thought the number of seats were the key and, so, much was spent on increasing the number of seats.  Staff tried to tell them to improve the dressing rooms, backstage areas, etc but the decision was made for more seating and items that the public could see and use.  Those behind-the-scenes improvements were to be taken care of in Phase II which, of course, never happened.

And don't get me wrong.  Kemper was pass it's prime, afterall, look at how many arenas built at the same time and after Kemper came on line that have been replaced by newer arenas.  But it was still a good arena.  And the arena losing sports teams, come on now.  When Charlie O moved the A's this town was in an uproar - why do you think the city got the Royals so fast.  When the Scouts and Kings left for a huge part of the metro area there was hardly a yawn - very, very few gave a damn.  Same could be said for the Blades.  The Comets/Attack/Comets had two problems  - the league and nobody gave a damn.  Outlaws can be summed up by saying "who were they?"  The number of concerts lost, with the only reason being the arena couldn't accomomdate it, could have been counted on one hand.  We, as staff, knew what concerts were going to tour and were touring.  We would bug the booking staff about inquiries and also go on-line with the booking system and review notes.  And, as stated before, I was the person the promoter/show would settle with at the end of the night, or run-of-the-show, or tournament (even the Big 12).  I talked with these people, not only to pass the time but to learn about things.  Had Kemper aged and the answer would be yes, but so were some of the other facilities that these events played in or going to play in.

Has the city benefited from the SC and the answer would be yes.  But look at it this way.  Much like spending decisions an individual makes - do I spend my money on item A or B or C - the city made a decision to spend its money on a new arena.  But could the impact of that spending decision been greater if the money was spent on additional convention center improvements besides those recently completed?  Or spent on a convention hotel?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

missingkc wrote: What an ignoramus.
Who? The author? What exactly from the article is not true?
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I believe I was called out more than a few times on my statement that an arena without a pro team is more profitable....well, seems the city is getting a $1.8M check because sprint is so profitable....and its specifically mentioned this wouldn't happen with a pro team:

Http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/1463320.html

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The article also mentions that revenues from the rental car and hotel room taxes are up...but does anyone know how long those taxes are estimated to be in place?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: I believe I was called out more than a few times on my statement that an arena without a pro team is more profitable....well, seems the city is getting a $1.8M check because sprint is so profitable....and its specifically mentioned this wouldn't happen with a pro team:

i believed you, KCP!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

So we actually have a disincentive to getting a sports team? That sucks, I really wanted one. Oh well, at least bring an AHL team for Kemper.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Obviously there are other incentives for getting a pro team and the article mentions Sprint won't be this cash cow forever....but it is a nice to get money returned to the city.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Can't wait for the first comment on how much Mayor Barnes pocketed behind-the-scenes from her backroom negotiations to get this contract signed  :)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote: I believe I was called out more than a few times on my statement that an arena without a pro team is more profitable....well, seems the city is getting a $1.8M check because sprint is so profitable....and its specifically mentioned this wouldn't happen with a pro team:

Woot! 124 more years like that and the thing practically pays for itself!  :lol:

But seriously, Leiweke failing to deliver on his promise of sports teams and then saying, "Well, the arena wouldn't be as profitable with the team I promised..." is some pretty blatant CYA.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Actually he said that before it was built too....its money into kcmo, is spite of the tim 'lie' bigger than that?

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't remember him saying it before. Do you have a quote?

And I have no spite. I don't care either way whether there's a team, and I don't have anything against the Tim L dude. It just seems like a pretty obvious PR move for a guy who promised the city a team to later turn around and be like, "Maybe I failed to get you a team, but hey, there's a bright side to it, too!"

And, serious question, if having a team would legitimately and unquestionably make AEG and the city less money than not having a team...why would AEG ever do that? They are in business to make money, not to be goodwill ambassadors providing assets to Kansas City at the expense of their own bottom line. And if the city is adding a million or so bucks to their coffers every year, why would we want them to?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have quoted it here before....I will try and find it.

I think the team is better for the arena in the long run....it usually doesn stay this profitable in any city I don't think...not sure.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Having a pro team will make the city more money in terms of generating more tax revenue for the city. Not having a pro team during the honeymoon years will make AEG more money.

What is the controversy? What pro teams want to move here, anyone? Why would AEG act against its own self-interest?